Good video for making people think!

https://youtu.be/w_TDyAtXdFM

They did a good job with the video, especially setting the scene starting as a beautiful, benign day … what could go wrong?

@rsevenic said:
They did a good job with the video, especially setting the scene starting as a beautiful, benign day … what could go wrong?

I agree.

https://youtu.be/lc6q-Z93Hj8

https://youtu.be/DpFwGQ35W1w

All good info. Too bad most of the people who need to see this, never will.

@BrianSnat said:

True. Would be a good video to have running constantly next to any display of kayaks.

@Rookie said:

@BrianSnat said:

True. Would be a good video to have running constantly next to any display of kayaks.

i was thinking that. You get a DVD to watch or watch in the store and sign for it. LOL Then again how many would run from the purchase after seeing the video? Then if you’re buying a 8 foot Walmart special you would know what a POS you bought and the danger you’re in. They put drowning warnings on 5 gallon pails why not kayaks LOL?

This is absolutely, totally correct for a nice early or late summer day in Maine midcoast or above. Wind speeds, current around islands fog etc. The only thing that may have occurred differently is the fog not dissapating. The local is also correct - my guess is they shot this in Penn Bay or along the Bold Coast.

The middle video was shot in Casco Bay… Mostly between Peaks Island and Portland… A very busy area.
Thanks for posting this Paddle Dog… How to disperse though is the question. Its a sit down and pay attention video and I dont know how effective it would be for stores on a continuous loop.

the top video shows launch off Old Quarry kayak ramp in Stonington so I think its Merchants Row. And its an area I paddle pretty often. Fog sometimes stays and sometimes pulls out in minutes. We have found ourselves in that sort of fog and with boats around. Its scary. ( We had charts, weather radio and GPS and PLB)
Its an area where winds come up fast and can funnel between Islands. I think I recognize the cliffs of Harbor and the gentle landing at Hells Half Acre.

Thanks kayakmedic. The one thing I was sure of is that it didn’t match any view I know in Muscongus. I keep forgetting that the area out to Peak’s has some classic rocky island views if you just keep the developed areas out of the shot. Too much commercial traffic for me so I stay midcoast and up.

This video scored on one other point very, very well. The woman saying why don’t they go out to the island that seemed so near rather than staying near shore as planned… those appealing islands are why my husband and I first got into sea kayaking and some initial training. It is sooo appealing to paddle out to them on a seemingly mild day on the water, probably a surprise than more people don’t get into fatal trouble out there every year.

This should be a sticky post here at top permanently or a safety sticky thread.

I think they are good reminders for all. Sometimes as we get older or in a rush we don’t remember everything.

@kayamedic said:

the top video shows launch off Old Quarry kayak ramp in Stonington so I think its Merchants Row.

Getting into your boat without slipping on that slick launch ramp can be challenging, especially at low tide. Whatever that black stuff is, it’s extra slick. Also I think some of the lobster men get a kick out of waking it when people are loading boats.