GoPro mount?

How is everyone mounting a GoPro to the deck of a sit in kayak?
Suction cup?

The suction cup will stick to a composite kayak but won’t work very well on a plastic one, especially if the plastic surface is textured. You also need a fairly large area that is mostly flat. There are adhesive mounts that are more or less permanent (you can take them off but not restick it) which should stick to most clean surfaces. I would always tether the camera regardless of the mount used.

1 Like

Suction cup and bungee to a deck lol me in case it fails.

1 Like

Like PDog52, I use a suction cup and tether. It’s secure on my thermoform and kevlar kayaks.

1 Like

Adhesive mount and tether for me.

If your kayak has a gear track, use a RailBlaza camera mount.

Wife used
…head mount…and looked around too much.
…chest mount …and got strange framing of things
… suction cup to kayak…and was lucky she put a tether on it when it fell off.

1 Like

If you are not using a skirt and have room a clamp on could work, like the jaws mount. I am considering doing a magnet setup down the road for something else, they have a really good magnet mount that came out with the Hero 9, would it be possible to do two magnets above and below the deck, or a piece of metal below with magnet mount? On the sit on top I’ve used a small tripod and ran two anchor lines to the rigging anchor points it worked well.

I have used the adhesive mounts Gopro makes, these have some problems though. They are not as permanent as they may appear. I have had them break off when hit by branches, luckily the gopro fell in the boat. I would suggest tethering the gopro to the boat if you are using one of these or a suction cup.

I have a suction mount for my GoPro that I have been wanting to use, but like others previously mentioned it doesn’t stick well to plastic kayaks because of the rough surface. I had an old piece of 1/8" thick Kydex laying around, one side of it is glossy smooth, so I did a quick hatchet job of cutting a piece and making some slots to run straps through, and I used short length cam straps to secure it to my deck lines. The suction mount held when submerged in water, hitting it (not hard) with my paddle, and even on the ride home getting up to 55 mph. Small Kydex sheets are cheap online and easy to cut to size. Just make sure you get some that have a smooth surface on one side. And as always, tether your camera, just in case.

1 Like

Good DIY. Love kydex.

sing

1 Like