Gore-Tex Facts

Hey Pahsimeroi
Do you really believe “Only an idiot would roll if they don’t have to” ???

Rolling when you do not have to is the only way to get prepared for when you do have to.

Agree with Kayamedic
It’s a fine material with limitations. I ski, hike, climb in it, but for extreme SE Alaska downpours i wear Dutch harbor gear with wool blend undergarments. I’d choose gore for a dry top, and have many times, but I still sweat like crazy with it, and am soaked at days end. On long kayak trips in terrible rain I’ve found the higher end wool warmer than synthetics, allowing me to wear the stuff dry. I find Capilene, etc., very chilly when damp, causing me to have to change quickly at camp before i get “cored”. Then I have damp gear. It’s all personal.

Why do you guys always take the bait
from this clown? Just ignore him.

I think trolls die if you use fire
on them right? Or are they like vampires where you have to separate the head from the body.

the real question is, is this guy getting some sort of sick enjoyment out of this. I would hope he is otherwise he is at a level of sadism that goes beyond trolling. I name you Mengele of the message board! CoffeeII’s spot isn’t even cold and you want to hop in his IP banning chair!!!

Thanks!
That was informative!

By All Means
Spend the money if you must. It’s not necessary but if it makes you happy do it. I don’t really care if you listen or not. Many how don’t like the message try to kill the messenger. If you think telling people not to buy Gore-Tex is considered argumentative then perhaps you should ask yourselves why are you so sensitive. It’s only something you wear. It’s not like I’m saying you’re beating your kids.

Pahsimeroni
has been trolling for months.

He’s the guy that says rolling is a waste of time.

No, what people object to is…
…your mindless, uninformed babbling and misinformation. You’ve repeatedly demonstrated that you have no idea what you’re talking about, but you’re completely unwilling to listen to facts or reason. It’s a good thing that you (claim to) have a thick skin, since you’re going to draw a lot of insults with this behavior. Evidently, you’re not capable of learning that lesson either, or you’re just incredibly desperate for attention.

I don’t think many of the posts
were meant to be argumentative.

Whether you are a troll or not, you made a flat statement that could have influenced a new person on this forum.

Many younger and newer campers, paddlers, etc are lurking and looking for advice on this forum, and to make a flat out statement like yours is why most of us jumped on your statement.

I personnaly have had a bad experience with Rockport Gortex hiking boots, and would not by another pair, but on the other hand I have had such good luck with Gortex outer wear that I don’t blame Gortex, I blame the manufacturer of the shoes.

Cheers,

JackL

Cheers,

JackL

Flat Statements
What I’ve posted is the result of years of experience. Personally I’ve sat our more rain storms under a poncho reading a book. My poncho would line the bottom of my pack and go every where. Rockport boots suck as do Nike in my opinion. They fall apart. Columbia is the only manufacture I’ve found that gives value and comfort for the dollar. My opinion though is based on many miles of off-trail hiking along mountainsides.

In light rain I’ve found that a light thermal undershirt is best for me. Doesn’t feel clammy and keeps me warm. Thermal long johns under a pair of shorts also work in light rain and wet conditions. Even when soaked they don’t get cold or clammy.

When I lived on a mountainside in Idaho I kept a back ready at all times to take off into the hills. Sometimes I’d come home from work, change into hiking clothes and take off until after dark. I’d hike over 1,000 miles a year. It was nothing for me to take off for a 10 mile walk. That was my passion. Found that I didn’t need all the things I thought I did. A light pair of wind pants over synthetic longjohns work better than rainwear. Heavy non-insulating material works as a heat sink.

Hypothermia is the threat posed by rain. Staying warm is more important than staying dry. Raincoats of all kinds can cause you to sweat. The rain hitting the coat can cause condensation thus soaking your clothing. No raingear breathes fast enough to prevent this. By thinking outside of the box I have found ways to stay comfortable in the rain. I’ll have to admit, wearing longjohns under shorts looks funky but I stay warm and feel better than wearing the high priced stuff. For extreme conditions longjohns under tights then shorts for pockets and butt protection have worked well for me in blowing snow and rain.

For winter wear Columbia makes a pair of bib snow pants lined with mesh that are the best thing I’ve ever found. They breathe yet block the wind. They’re not waterproof but I have sat right on the snow without any discomfort what so ever.

I hope that beginners do listen to me. They could learn and avoid wasting money on needless gear. Like I have in the past.

About the boot thing. Wearing calf length synthetic liners and thick outer socks is a must for comfort. The Gore-Tex lining is for crossing creeks. It helps to tighten your boots before getting them wet. Slows the water that seeps in from the top. I never get problems with sweaty feet that way. Oh, and carry dry socks always.

Questions…
Have you ever used a Goretex (or breathable) drysuit when the water is slightly above freezing and the air is close to (or below) zero?

Do you even know how to roll and are you 100% confident that you will NEVER flip?

Your hiking experience has no bearing on a kayaking message board discussing kayaking equipment and techniques. Heck, my drysuit sucks when I try to play tennis. That means waterproof/breathable materials are all a waste of money. Right?

The Biggest Bullshitter On Pnet Award!!!
My Gosh, The Bullshit is getting ass deep around here. Pahsimeroi, you win the BS award by a landslide. As stated above this is nothing but “troll territory”. Yeah, Gore-Tex really sucks so, anyone that wants to get rid of their GT gear send it down Texas way, to me :wink:

LB