Got the rack - now I need other items

Nice specials but wrong size
Unfortunatedly, they did not have my size (XL). I did not notice all they had was XS,S & M, so I am back to square one. thanks

$56 for a Lotus Designs Paddling Jacket (made by Patagonia) at Sierra Trading Post

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/330,24519_Lotus-Designs-Paddling-Jacket-For-Men-and-Women.html

(copy & paste the above link, when I pre-viewed the post, the link did not work properly).

Also, lots more deals on Gore-tex:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ProdDisplayList.aspx?deptId=10981

Suz Celia - I will take a brake here
Well, I will thank you for your help but I think I will wait on these two items until I know for sure what I want or need. I am finding it more difficult to find these items than the big itmes (boat, rack, paddle)… worse yet, I don’t think I know what I need :slight_smile:

Went to REI this evening, to try some Jackets, gloves and other stuff… mostly to find out my acual sizes, and they are already out of most of the popular items as they are preparing for the winter season. And, trying to actually find the stuff just by looking at pictures on the web… it’s almost impossible.

Gloves for instance. I tried like 4 brands in different sizes… they all felt different.

Another thing I perhaps was not sufficiently clear on. I just want to paddle from SPRING - FALL, mostly during the warm weather months. No winter paddling in my plans… but then I realized that the gear we are talking about (from gloves to boots, splash jackets, skirt) seems to me we are putting too much emphasis on the winter or cold weather. or not?

So I think I will take someone’s suggestion to “stop worring about” every detail and get my butt in the water :slight_smile:

As I mentioned it, I am taking two basic paddle classes this Saturday and a 4 or 5 hr trip on Sunday… so I hope that will open my eyes a little bit as to what I need or don’t need. But I will in touch and again THANK YOU for you help :slight_smile:

See ya :slight_smile:

How cold
Overall comment on how cold you need to adapt for - I live in the northeast and paddle into pretty cold stuff, so my needs are more than someone paddling spring and fall in Virginia. But there’s cold, as in obvious air temps, and cold. As in colder than you are used to, sudden rain showers, and the effect of being in even cool water should you take a dump. These things will get you truly cold at a lot warmer temps than the obvious air temps people normally think about.

So - neoprene hoods and super warm gloves may seem like overkill at the moment. And may still feel that way as long as you stay dry. But should you be paddling alone, capsize and have to make your way home - they could get more important very fast. So think about the gear you buy in terms of how it would serve you in that scenario, and carry a drybag with a full change on clothing for all paddles. Whatever you buy, that’ll get you started OK.

Thank you so much :slight_smile:
>>Celia, again thank you for the generosity of your time. I asked many question in the course of replying to some the posts, but only two or tree actually responded to them… probably very busy people :slight_smile: that is why I appreciate your time.

Overall comment on how cold you need to adapt for - I live in the northeast and paddle into pretty cold stuff, so my needs are more than someone paddling spring and fall in Virginia. But there’s cold, as in obvious air temps, and cold. As in colder than you are used to, sudden rain showers, and the effect of being in even cool water should you take a dump. These things will get you truly cold at a lot warmer temps than the obvious air temps people normally think about.

You are so right!.. you know so much and I know NOTHING! :)… is sickening. I just realized I was operating under assumptions, very frustrating. You always thing the days will be sunny and the waters calm and so everything will be fun… but even with the best of planning the weather can change and the trip turns out to be completly different… rain, cold etc… so I decided at least to read a couple of books Sea Kayaker Savy paddler (Doug Alderson) and complete sea kayak touring (Jonathan Hanson), instead of asking so many dumn questions. They seem to have tons of tips, I should learn something.

So - neoprene hoods and super warm gloves may seem like overkill at the moment. And may still feel that way as long as you stay dry. But should you be paddling alone, capsize and have to make your way home - they could get more important very fast. So think about the gear you buy in terms of how it would serve you in that scenario, and carry a drybag with a full change on clothing for all paddles. Whatever you buy, that’ll get you started OK.

Ok, i will start thinking in those terms. Lukily I tend to think that way… wisdom that only comes with age :), always aware there is danger everywhere if you are not careful. Therefore I am cautious.

I will try to take some short trips with a kayaking class first so that I will develop some understanding of what you are talking about. When I took my two classes last year, it was a beautiful warm sunny day in a very placid small lake (1 mile long by 1/2) and so the water felt warm and refreshing… Imagine that, that is my experience with capsizing [smile]. I would to experience how it feels what you are describing about. There is also a club aroud here (Washington DC area) “cpakayakers.com” and I plan to join them and paddle with them.

Now the thing is, I DO PLAN of capsizing a lot! :slight_smile: to get practice, and when I feel confident enough I might to try to paddle by myself. I will also try to lear a “roll” over the winter.

Just curious, you said NE. where exacly do you paddle? How long have you been doing it? and the big question :)… Do you actually paddle during the winter?