Got the rack - now I need other items

First of all, thanks to everyone who helped with their input on the rack! - I am being detailed so that other beginners like me can benefit from all my experiences. It’s awful to be newbie at anything! :slight_smile:

------------

Objective: to start paddling as soon as possible to take advantage of the time left before the winter. My goal was is to get everything I needed to start paddling at one time. So far I have purchased the most important items: boat, paddles, PFD and the rack or my truck. Also, other items like bilge pump, paddle floater (to get back on the boat), a whistle and other small items

My equipment so far:

My kayak: tsunami 140 by wilderness systems (14 feet long), plastic material (polyethylene)

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_vertical.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442589153&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302875132&bmUID=1157392802150

Rack: Yakima Outdoorsman 300

http://www.rackattack.com/racks/1136-yakima-outdoorsman-300-compact.htm

Saddles for 1 kayak: Purchased the set from Spring Creek. $110 (including shipping)

http://www.canoegear.com/catalog/product.php?productid=359&cat=46&page=1

-------------------------------

I still need the following basic items and I would like to pick your brains as to what I should get. Or at lease what I should be careful about. I know that a year from now I will have plenty of advice for beginners but right now, I need your help - just like you did with my truck-rack- to help me avoid the classic mistakes. I generally like to buy quality items of good quality although I don’t want “top of the line.”

-Spray-skirt (budget $50 - $100)

-Jacket: Nice all around rain/wind jacket for my weather in VA (22192), say from early spring to late fall

-Any other ABOSUTELY ESSENTIAL items you think I need?

I appreciate your help

TIA

Rique

If you’re a size M or S…
$56 for a Lotus Designs Paddling Jacket (made by Patagonia) at Sierra Trading Post

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/330,24519_Lotus-Designs-Paddling-Jacket-For-Men-and-Women.html

(copy & paste the above link, when I pre-viewed the post, the link did not work properly).

Also, lots more deals on Gore-tex:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ProdDisplayList.aspx?deptId=10981

Not more stuff but

– Last Updated: Sep-05-06 12:04 AM EST –

I assume you'll be looking for lessons in pool sessions over the winter? Most people can't re-enter with a paddle float unless they've practiced it more than once in a pool. So nice, but not useful without practice.

That said, other comments.

Skirt - you have a boat that can head for skills up to wet work like rolling. Do you plan to go there? If so skip the nylon skirt altogether and go straight to a neoprene deck. It'll save you the costly mistake of having to go out and get another skirt after your first pool session.

Jacket - get a real paddling jacket, with some decent closures around the wrists and neck. A regular, non-paddling jacket will let wind in and be altogether unsatisfactory when you most need it. No need to go for a true drytop in your climate unless/until you have a lot more time in and a real clear idea of how wet you want to be, but a proper paddling jacket will make you a lot happier. I still pull mine out for use in warmer weather up here, even though I have a drysuit and all that stuff. That way I don't have to care if it chills a bit as the sun drops or there is a passing chower.

Other items to consider -
Good warm gloves, preferably something with a wind-blocking layer. Straight neoprene without that is cold when it starts blowing. For your climate and needs, something like the full fingered NRS paddling gloves would do fine I think.

Hood or similar head cover. If you get caught out on a raw wet day, you'll soon feel the reality of losing about 20 percent of your body heat thru your head.

i don’t want to be mean … but …
if you’d stop worrying about what you might possibly need and got your butt out on the water while the weather is still warm you’ll quickly figure out what you need.

you say you got a boat, you got a paddle, you got a rack – so what’s stopping you?

:)) oh you made laugh out loud! :slight_smile:
Still laughing… Well, I understand your point!.. the problem is that I bought all this stuff within the last 10 days. Most of them have not arrived yet. I just purchased the rack yesterday and it will take a few days to arrive.

But when they do, you bet I will get my butt on the water as soon as possible :slight_smile:

But I still need more equipment, and someone already gave me fantastic advice. You can help me too. Keep tuned :slight_smile:

Thanks

Rique.

Great information - Thank you!
…I assume you’ll be looking for lessons in pool sessions over the winter? Most people can’t re-enter with a paddle float unless they’ve practiced it more than once in a pool. So nice, but not useful without practice…

Last year I took the first two classes, which I will take a again this Saturday as a refresher (plus a day trip next day). The second class was, and will be, all about water-recovery? (is that the right name?) you know captizing and getting back on the boat using different techniques… with other’s help and by yourself. BUT, I do hope to learn at least one of the famous “rolls” over the winter (on a pool) so I can consider doing a bit of ocean kayaking

That said, other comments.

…Skirt - you have a boat that can head for skills up to wet work like rolling. Do you plan to go there? If so skip the nylon skirt altogether and go straight to a neoprene deck. It’ll save you the costly mistake of having to go out and get another skirt after your first pool session…

YES, THANK YOU SO MUCH for addressing that point… that was exactly one of my immediate concerns. Perhaps I could buy a cheap one for the beginning since I will probably do very sheltered kayaking on little lakes around my area or the Potomac river on calm waters. My concern is that the “good ones” (neoprene deck) might be too warm for summer days? or not? What do you think? Ideally, I would like to get a good one for all kinds of weathers but I guess that is impossible, right?

…Jacket - get a real paddling jacket, with some decent closures around the wrists and neck. A regular, non-paddling jacket will let wind in and be altogether unsatisfactory when you most need it. No need to go for a true drytop in your climate unless/until you have a lot more time in and a real clear idea of how wet you want to be, but a proper paddling jacket will make you a lot happier. I still pull mine out for use in warmer weather up here, even though I have a drysuit and all that stuff. That way I don’t have to care if it chills a bit as the sun drops or there is a passing chower…

I agree, I have read that somewhere… the importance of having the right equiment especially when the conditions are far from idea. I have read a bit about touring kayaking but it sounds always like “theory.” I want to hear a bit from real people doine paddling.

I know these jackets can range as high or $300 or more. My budget is $120 max for a good one, on sale. I know there are some materials better than other, etc, etc.

What do you think of this one (assuming the link works)? the price is right and it has a hood as well.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/STO0002/Stohlquist-Splashdown-ST-Spray-Jacket-with-Hood-Unisex.html?id=fDdHgDgw

Other items to consider -

Good warm gloves, preferably something with a wind-blocking layer. Straight neoprene without that is cold when it starts blowing. For your climate and needs, something like the full fingered NRS paddling gloves would do fine I think.

OK great advice. Luckily gloves are not that expensive so you can have a couple (warm weather and cold weather.

Hood or similar head cover. If you get caught out on a raw wet day, you’ll soon feel the reality of losing about 20 percent of your body heat thru your head.

Thank you for the advice and keep it coming please :slight_smile:

Very nice for $56… but i want a hood
>$56 for a Lotus Designs Paddling Jacket (made by Patagonia) at Sierra Trading Post

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/330,24519_Lotus-Designs-Paddling-Jacket-For-Men-and-Women.html…

Nice and the price is fantastic. I almost bought it on the spot except I wish I could get one with a hood. Unfortuntedly, the next one up the have with a hood is $158. But $56 is a very reasonable. I will look a bit more for coulple of days and if I have not found it (with hood), I’ll get it.

Thanks.

Rique

(copy & paste the above link, when I pre-viewed the post, the link did not work properly).

Also, lots more deals on Gore-tex:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ProdDisplayList.aspx?deptId=10981

Interesting saddles
I’ll be interested to know how you like them.

No critical, but a couple dry bags can come in real handy. A survivial kit in one, maybe 5 liter; first aid kit, flashlight, matches, rope, knife, engergy bars. A rest stop kit in the other, maybe about 15-20 liter; towel, lunch, camera, dry shirt, etc.

I paddled for a year without them, but now I wouldn’t do without them.

Paul S.

Will you be padling in the cold weather
If so, you will need, (or want) a pair of water proof boots for getting in and out of your boat in the cold water.

I suggest NRS Boundary Boots.

They are warm and waterproof. My wife and I both have had a pair for about four years now, and wouldn’t be without them in the cold weather.

They were wonderful in Glacier Bay, AK paddling in the icy waters.

Cheers, and welcome to the wonderful world of paddling.

JackL

More - replies
Re neo deck, I haven’t ever found a neo deck skirt to be overly warm due to the material. Honestly, the greatest warmth factor has been the simple fact of wearing one at all. The only skirts I’ve encountered which really make a diff that way are half skirts, which are nylon and generally cheap to find, and a really expensive full GoreTex skirt. Anywhere inbetween that is a full skirt, the temp of the water under the boat will make more diff to me than what material.

But others will dispute that.

The jacket to which you have a link looks interesting, but I’d encourage you to take a look at these two sites as well. If you fit in one of the sizes on deep discount, you may land one of a little more robust material or even somewhat brethable for the same money. Some folks also swear by OUtdoor Play. Look under splash wear.

http://www.nrsweb.com

http://www.sierratradingpost.com

Also - I suspect you’ll be looking for a longer, skinnier boat within about a year, especially if you get serious about stuff like rolling and ocean work. So think higher end, longer term use rather than lower as you buy stuff.

CHOTA MUKLUKS

– Last Updated: Sep-05-06 8:19 AM EST –

If you are going to paddle into the late fall, these are essential to getting into and out of the boat without getting your legs and feet wet.

https://www.chotaoutdoorgear.com/CyberMerchant/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=32

Dress for immersion...when you can afford it, buy a drysuit.

PS...You have mail.

Hood vs no hood
Personally, I am not a fan of hoods for paddling. First time you go over with your hood not on and cinched down, you will find it fills up with water and feels like a bucket dragging on your neck. They also change your peripheral vision and you can’t hear as well with them on.

Keep a hat or skull cap in your pocket to warm up if necessary.

My preference is to have a paddling specific jacket with wrists that close. It needn’t be a dry top at this point.

Suz

Full hood better
A full hood, that goes down around the neck and just leaves the face clear, is what I meant and the only kind I’d suggest. Like in dive shops. I’ve rolled plenty with that down and it isn’t a problem - doesn’t seem to trap water. I often paddle all day with it on but down, so that I can just pull it up if needed.

Almost anything that has a strap around the neck can be a real problem if you go over. I leave the strap behind my head on my GoreTex hat for that reason, and don’t tend to use the just-top-of-head hood for the same. Patagonia makes hats with drain holes and a neoprene strap that can fit close around your head to hold the hat and won’t strangle you, but those are the only ones I know that operate that way. Cheap hats that you don’t mind losing are fine, wool skullcaps or cotton with light brims depending on temps.

Saddles - I will let you know.
I’ll be interested to know how you like them.

I am curious myself! Cooldoctor from here recomended them. The price was ok too. But we’ll see. I spoke to the owner of the company, very nice guy, gave me all kinds of tips… but we’ll see and let you know :slight_smile:

No critical, but a couple dry bags can come in real handy. A survivial kit in one, maybe 5 liter; first aid kit, flashlight, matches, rope, knife, engergy bars. A rest stop kit in the other, maybe about 15-20 liter; towel, lunch, camera, dry shirt, etc.

Thank you, I am taking notes.

I paddled for a year without them, but now I wouldn’t do without them.

Just curious… what change your thinking?

Paul S.

Thank you for tips :slight_smile:
I am taking notes.

To Suz and Celia
Ok, let’s see if I understand you both. You are saying I should not choose a kayaking jacket based on the hood, such as the one below (because if you fall in the water it actually impares your ability to move, etc)

http://www.backcountry.com/store/STO0002/Stohlquist-Splashdown-ST-Spray-Jacket-with-Hood-Unisex.html?id=fDdHgDgw

Correct?

Rember I am newbie - (it means idiot :slight_smile: - so I dont’ understand exactly what you are both talking about.

CELIA: the hood you mentioned. Is it part of a Jacket? or a separate piece?

If part of jacket, could you give me a link where I can see what they look like?

If, it’s a separate piece, then I can go ahead and choose one like the ones Celia recomended:

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1143

or Telelounge’s link below

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/330,24519_Lotus-Designs-Paddling-Jacket-For-Men-and-Women.html

(you may have to copy and paste link)

Another thing, I seem to detect that Gore-tex is the best material for jackets? is this what one should strive for?

In reply

– Last Updated: Sep-05-06 1:37 PM EST –

The hood I am talking about is a separate piece, configured like the Mystery Storm Hood (http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1768) You can leave it down in back and pull it up as needed if you get cold. Less fuss and warmer than the ones with chin straps. Put it on over your neck when you start padling and forget about it after that unless you need it. Scuba shops often have as good a hoods as the paddling outfits, with better fit and more choice of weight.

GoreTex or something else with a lifetime warranty is best if you can get there. But some of the others developed for manufacturers that don't have such a warranty, an example being the Entrant waterproof breathable material used by Immersion Research, will also wear hard and serve you well.

Hood on the jacket - I'd say just make sure that you can keep it out of your way, and think about it's use for the time being. You may want a better neo type hood so that you can skip the hood on the jacket for the moment (and the extra cost). My cag that I carry in the day hatch has a hood, my next drysuit probably will, because I might need these in tough environments with wind, cold, rain etc where the value of a hood to prevent hypothermia is more pressing than a risk of it trapping water.

For what it's worth, my husband has rolled in his drysuit with his hood uncinched but down and hasn't had a problem. With the hood up and tight around his face, he doesn't notice anything major. But a lot of lower level jackets don't have hoods that you can close up around your face so well, in fact my cag doesn't. So - take your choices... odds are that if you can't roll it'll not be an issue for a while anyway. As long as there isn't a strap around your throat, you won't notice any issue doing a wet exit.

hood on jacket vs a "neo hood"
I don’t recommend a hood that is an integral part of the jacket. Although I am able to roll with a hood filled with water, it is something that impedes most people. I suppose if you are diligent about rolling it down when not in use - usually there are velcor tabs for this purpose, you would be OK. But when on, you would want to make sure it was cinched too. Either way - I don’t like them more for the fact that they impede peripheral vision and hearing.

As for a separate hood - Celia is suggesting a neoprene hood will be of value for you. I think you could hold off on this and see for yourself. I own about three hoods and they all drive me crazy. I only wear them surfing in the dead of winter in New England. Too warm for me otherwise but I am not prone to getting too cold.

Just start paddling and you will soon find what you need/want from looking at others gear.

Suz

Good stuff
Gloves: spare your hands, help your grip.

Blisters are a drag.

Booties: softer fit on the pegs. Helps your feet

bend softly w. the curve of the kayak.

Now get the hell out there! :wink:

Dry bags, what changed my thinking
Basically just got ok with the idea that it would cost me $30 for a couple dry bags. Now that I have them I wouldn’t want to go back to that iffy fealing on whether my stuff will be dry, and the inconvenience of zip locks and double trash bags and stuff.

A little like hesitating to buy a microwave 20 years ago. Now I wouldn’t do without one. Not a must, but nice to have. OK, crude analogy.

Paul S.