gp paddle and expeditions

Does anyone know if the gp has been used for expedition paddling? I haven’t seen one in any expedition photos…just curious.

I’ve done it
Not exactly the kind of expedition you’re referring to, but I’ve done 5 day trips with them in a heavily loaded boat and in big seas at times.

They’re every bit as capable as a euroblade on the water. They aren’t as good for using as shovels in camp, tho :wink:

Wayne

shovel
Good idea. I’ll have to remember that…with someone else’s paddle of coarse. >;)

GPs on trips
I suppose it depends on what an “expedition” is. That term, to me, is best suited for something on the scale of Lewis and Clark… ;^)

I have used GPs on many long “trips” included 3 week unsupported trips to places such as Pukaswka and circumnavigating Isle Royale in Lake Superior. The paddle design is certainly capable and proven, it’s really only a question of the paddler’s capability, skill and judgment. That said, no paddle design is good at everything. I wouldn’t use a GP in whitewater, for example.

I’m looking forward to taking a leave from work and using my GPs on much longer trips next year.

Greg Stamer

I mean more high profile…
with all the shiny sponsor stickers and the glitz and glamour. I realize there are allot of gp users that use them on extended trips, but I was wondering more of a high profile thing.

I still like the idea of the alternate shovel. :slight_smile:

Sponsors
If you’re thinking about sponsored expeditions, then I think that maybe there hasn’t been. Most GP’s are made at home, or by small shops, and I would think that the big boys like Werner and Lendal would outbid a smaller operation just for the advertising advantage.

It would be unusual for a small one or two person operation to sponsor a paddler on an expedition, just because margins in a really small business are so tight. Of course, the sponsorship could just consist of a free paddle, too.

yes
When we did a month on the sw coast of newfoundland, one of our group used a gp, no problem. At that time I used an AT Exception; if we went today, I’d use a Lumpy storm and a CF Superior GP.

No problem with GP’s
on expeditions.A paddle is a paddle and if it’s what you’re used to then I use the same one whether it’s a day trip or an expedition. The only paddles I use are GP’s(with the exception of whitewater) and I do 8 to 10 day unsupported trips every summer,although I don’t consider them to be “expeditions”,just vacations.

There are very few paddlers who take the really big challenges so you don’t see GP’s for that reason.

If Justine,Wendy,Leon,Shawna and the rest were GP people that what they would use,I’m sure.

Greenland paddles are perfectly suited for long days of touring,low windage,low swing weight and good in rough seas.

Bert

It’s the paddler, not the paddle

– Last Updated: Dec-26-06 12:49 AM EST –

It's always that same very small group of paddlers who do those "high profile" expedition such as circumnavigating Australia etc.

When one of those "expedition paddlers" switch to GP, you'll see them in such high profile expeditions. Or, some day one of the GP advocates succeed in a high profile, sponsored expedition, then you can see it.

"High profile" expedition in my mind are those exploring unknown coasts. It almost garrantes involving frequent surf landing in unpredictable seas. I've seen good GP paddlers in surf of moderate size. Whether it's as good as a Euro in really big surf is still up to the praticianer's judgement.

I don’t know…
I think I’ll email Gordon Brown and see what he thinks.

Augustus Dogmaticus

MMVI