GPS - Waterproof - Suggestions

I disagree

– Last Updated: Dec-23-10 6:05 AM EST –

I'm talking about the old 76.
My wife got the new 76CX and we returned it in favor of the old model.
Several reasons, with the worst being the size of the waypoint ICONS. No problem if you just use a few when setting up a route, but if you are ever down in the Florida Keys or 10,000 Islands and are going to do a 20 mile trip where you use between 50 and a hundred way points, all they do is block out the map.
You can change the size, but not globally. Just one at a time. We figured there must be a way to change them globally and called Garmin, and there answer was that it was programmed that way, and it can't be changed. -We don't feel like sitting one place for fifteen or twenty minutes just to chang icons.
- Another thing was the tides. much more to looking them up then on the 76.
If garmin ever changes that way point icon feature, I'll be the first to run out and buy the newer model.

Jack L

Solution
Whatever size waypoint you set up last is the one it will create by default for subsequent ones. Select a small dot for the first one and they will all be small dots thereafter, unless you change it.

I agree the large ones are crazy large, but they are easily avoided.

Garmin 78sc?

– Last Updated: Dec-22-10 11:35 PM EST –

Has any tried Garmin's new 78sc for paddling? It is apparently their latest and greatest?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=161&pID=63603

Map76 vs 60CSX
You can indeed change size of the all of the waypoint icons 76CSX with one setting. You apparently had a tech who provided you with bad information. The ability to do so is in a sub menu on the map screen.

You can also change the the zoom level at which waypoints are displayed on the 76CSX’s map screen so when you are zoomed out beyond a certain level the icons are not displayed and do not block the map.

The Map 76 is old technology. It’s been in Garmin’s line unchanged since the early 00’s. GPS technology has long ago passed it by, yet they are still charging a premium price for the unit.

For the same money you are paying for this ancient technology you can get a far better unit. In fact you can get a far better unit for considerably less than one would pay for a new Map 76.

78S
Haven’t tried it but it is an upgraded version of the 76CSX. Most of the chief improvements are in geocaching specific features so if you are not a geocacher it my not be worth the additional money. There are also some improvements in the way maps are displayed and you can layer multiple map sets and have them all visible concurrently. Can’t do that with the older units.

It also allows you to beam waypoints to other compatible units, a nice feature, but you have to decide if it’s all worth the extra $200 over the 76CXS.

Just came back from West Marine
where they have the Map 76CS on sale, and once again we decided to stay with our “old” technology.

We were all set to buy it until we found out in order to get the tides we would have to pay another $150 for a blue chart “D-2” chip in order to get them.

Mighty odd that our “old” technology plain old 76 has them built in !

Jack L

Check out “garmin connect”

– Last Updated: Dec-26-10 4:53 PM EST –

If you really want to "use" your GPS for real world stuff
-- check out the "garmin connect" site.

Each time you go out with your Garmin unit - you take
30 seconds to download the info it gathered. Huh ?

Yeah - A GPS does soooooo much more than simply give a location.
It gives you info about what you did and where.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/intosports/training_center#fragment-2

76CSX tide charts

– Last Updated: Dec-26-10 9:47 PM EST –

Maybe the 76CS doesn't have tide charts but the 76CSX does. The 76CS is also an obsolete unit and like the Map 76, is not to be confused with the 76CSX

See http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xan2o0_garmin-gpsmap-76csx-tide-tables-gps_tech for how to use the tide charts on the 76CSX, out of the box with no additional software.

Garmin's website also clearly shows that the Map 76CSX has tide tables: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=167&pID=351

affirmative
My 76csx has the tides built in.

You keep saying that these older units
are obsolete, but yet our old plain old Map-76 came with the tide charts on it.

So evidently when Garmin came out with their first color one they evidently realized they screwed up and left the tide charts off, and then came out with the CSX, charged a bunch more and put the tide charts on.

If we saw something that these new ones that costs several hundred dollars more would do for us other than some pretty colors, we might be willing to spring.

But so far our “obsolete” one does every thing that we need.

Jack L

Map76 vs. 76CSX

– Last Updated: Dec-27-10 9:45 PM EST –

If you're happy with your Map 76 that is awesome. Enjoy it. But to intimate that it's as good as a 76CSX is absurd. The advances in GPS technology since it was
released have been significant.

Most important is the high sensitivity receiver. Older receivers frequently lose reception under heavy tree cover. My 76CSX gets reception in my basement with the shades closed.

And the receiver isn't the only difference. The processor is much faster on the 76CSX, so things like panning and overall response are much faster.

High sensitivity receiver
76CSX-Yes Map76-No

Turn by turn driving directions
76CSX-Yes Map76-No

Map Memory
76CSX - expandable up to 2 gigs Map76 - 8 megs fixed

Runs multiple concurrent maps
76CSX-Yes Map76-No

Color Display
76CSX-Yes Map76-no

USB interface
76CSX-Yes Map76-No

Saved tracks
76CSX-20 Map76-10

Electronic compass
76CSX-yes Map76-No

Barometric altimeter
76CSX-Yes Map76-no

Custom Points of Interest
76CSX-Yes Map76-No

Mfrs. Estimated Battery life
76CSX-18 hrs Map76-16

And best of all the 76CSX is only $30 more than the Map76

OK, the only thing that interests me
in your list is the “higher sensitivity”.

And if it is that good, I would eagerly pay for it.

What is the difference between the 76CS and the 76 CSX?

the 76CS is on sale right now at West Marine for $179

Does that also have the higher sensitivity ?

And I sure wish I could be convinced that it does in fact have the same tide charts as my 76. Since we could not get them when we demoed it.

jack L

it has the charts

– Last Updated: Dec-28-10 9:02 AM EST –

I couldn't find them at first either. But they are there. You hit "Find" then "Marine" then select "Tides".

Many thanks
I meant to say above, the 76CX, and yes they do have the tides.

It is trickier to navigate then the old 76.

jack L

Info Overload !!!
Thanks a million for all the GREAT advice. I will take all the suggestions into consideration when I purchase on for my canoe. Again, Thanks. I also enjoy reading all your comments back & forth, they are a great insite to some of you.

76CS vs 76CSX
Are you sure it’s the 76CS? The 76CS was discontinued about 4-5 years ago. Not that some retailers might not have a a few left.

The 76CS does not have the high sensitivity receiver.

Perhaps you are referring to the 76CX. It is similar to the 76CSX, but it does not have the electronic compass or barometric altimeter. It does have the high sensitivity receiver and all of the other features of the 76CSX.

GPS Map76

– Last Updated: Jan-03-11 9:49 PM EST –

I started using the Map76 at work years ago and when I bought a fishing boat, it seemed natural to go ahead and get my own that I already know how to use. I bought a 76 and a Map76 on ebay. the Map76 is the way to go there...more memory.

I have one on the bow at the trolling motor and one on the stern. And I use one on my canoe as well.

to answer your original question, for canoe use, you want: large screen, waterproof, and front mounted controls with big buttons.

Map76.

I have a Map76S, which has the electronic compass. No advantage to that if you are moving at any rate of speed. And I've seen the CSx GPS lose their position and really screw with tired paddlers when N is pointing S and a reboot is necessary. I'm racing my next 340 with the older Map76. The color units have smaller screens I think. I went down the river in the middle of the night in a terrible fog, flying on instruments I like to say...because I had a river channel track while most other paddlers had to pull off, blind.

The Map76S is now on the front of the fishing boat because it makes it easier to find a stationary target closeby, when the boat isn't hardly moving. It will always be pointing to the brushpile I'm trying to find. BUT the older Map76, without the electronic compass, knows the brushpile is close but it can't point to it unless the boat is moving. So you end up doing a circle before it points the way... OR you need a real compass next to the Map76 and have to combine the readouts in your head.

End result...Map76s for the bow of the fishing boat, old workhorse Map76 for the canoe. I use my GPS with ArcMap, OziExplorer, and/or Mapsource programs and have waypoints and tracks of all my fishing and paddling holes... I'm a map freak. Did I say I've never paid much over $100 for any of the three I own...ebay.

Joe

GPS Map 76

– Last Updated: Jan-03-11 9:48 PM EST –

I have been using one for our paddling in South Florida. By and large is is fine and we have returned to the put in every time. But it is disconcerting when you are paddling through a wide Mangrove tunnel and get the cannot contact satellites message. You don't know whether to trust the information you get when you are in more open water or not, especially when it is fading out and coming back in, and fading out, and ... So I have ordered the newer version with more sensitive satellite detection. That being said, navigation is about paying attention, remembering, and redundancy. So we always have a chart, compass, and GPS. But as we have learned from diving you need to keep a record in your head of where you have gone, what you have seen when, what directions you have turned, and what landmarks there are.

edit: I forgot to add that it helps to have two of you. My wife and I sometimes argue about navigation but we have corrected serious mistakes because one of us said something. We are still married.

Precisely!
Your experience is the chief reason that the Map76CSX is far better than the old Map 76.

Great reception under difficult conditions. I’ve never lost reception with the 76CSX. Well OK, once, half way through the Lincoln Tunnel.

Not Lowrance
I would not recommend any Lowrance Hand Held unit. They have Overshoot - which means they have a lag in updating the screen and if you are using the Go-To function you will pass your destination before the unit tells you that you have arrived. Garmins do not do this.

Budd