GPS - Waterproof - Suggestions

speed and distance on same screen
My garmin 76 for 100 bucks has both. For a mount I drilled a 2in by 6in piece of alumnum. Then taped the gps to the aluminum and drilled the cockpit rim to mount the gps. Some use industrial velcro.

Garmin and Maps
I have had multiple Garmins, got disgusted with their map restrictions and went DeLorme PN. Never will go back.

After I bought a new Garmin last year that finally could download maps, I found out their software links your map purchases to specific units. If you lose your unit or upgrade, you must repurchase your maps again. I was so upset to learn this after buying that I gave it away and went out to buy a DeLorme PN-30. Wow. What a system.

I say system because as another poster commented, the computer software is an integral part of the experience. You can get a yearly, unlimited map subscription or pay ala carte. The subscription is about $24 @ Amazon. I charted a trip to the Everglades last night and could find every single chickee from aerial photos. It was so clear I could see both platforms and the gangplank between. It was also very accurate in their overlay. The maps remain yours even after a subscription runs out. You can use the maps on other brand devices and even print out maps from the software.

I got the PN-40. It has all the same features as the PN-60 except some electronic compass things.

Garmin and DeLorme and Mapping

– Last Updated: Jan-11-11 2:12 AM EST –

If your PN40 came with Topo 9, good for you. My PN40 has Topo 8 and when I uploaded the latest firmware I found out it no longer supported Topo 8. This isn't some ancient software package, it's barely a year old and no longer supported by the latest DeLorme firmware.

So now I have to spend $100 to make my PN40 fully functional with the mapping software. My $25 yearly map subscription (which I just renewed) is now worthless until I spend the extra hundred dollars to upgrade to Topo 9. Customer support at its worst.

BTW if you aren't thrilled with Garmin's proprietary maps, or simply can't afford them, try the free maps at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

Stay Away From Delorme
Stay away from Delorme. I have the PN-40. The first one failed on day 1 of a four day paddle and 30 day vacation. Tech Service was very nice, but ultimatly wrong.

The second one has failed on 50% OF ALL OUTINGS I’ve ever taken it on. It works great around town, but fails whenever I take it anywhere else. And now bits are starting to fall off… I won’t bother to complain about the interface.

The Topo software is klugiy and obtuse, and never seems to transfer everything I’ve selected. If it looks like I don’t like the Delorme, that would be correct. The $29 data subscription is a great deal, and may make the whole thing worth while.

I don’t have much good to say about Garmin, having had 4 units all with bad battery compartment problems. Tech Service would send them back un-repaired, saying there was nothing wrong. That was around 2003, so maybe they fixed the problem… In case you get the wrong idea, I do know the technology very well.

If I were buying now, I would probably go back to Garmin. I really did like my GPSmap 76S. It had useful data fields and was easy to configure to my needs. It would also shut off many times per day…

DeLorme
I’ve had a PN40 for close to two years. I did have difficulty with the first unit I purchased. Tech support sent me another promptly and that had issues too.

3rd time was a charm. It has been rock solid. I admit the interface isn’t the greatest, but it was better than the Magellan and Lowrance units I’ve used.

The Topo software is not very intuitive, but unless you are constantly downloading and uploading data, you really don’t need to mess with it once the maps are installed on your device.

But overall I think the DeLorme units are good ones and very good values because the price includes detailed maps.