Gransfors axes

Any thoughts on the quality of a Gransfors axe. I am currious about one for my next wilderness solo trip. I like the axe that has a 1 1/2 pound head and an 18 inch handle.

Not familiar with that brand,
but I personally like Gerber and Fiskars axes. My Fiskar is about 4 years old, and I only needed to sharpen it recently! It holds a sharp edge better than any other axes I’ve owned. Most would get dull FAST, and I’ve broken a few handles when I didn’t need to.

IMO Fiskars are one of the best values in axes.

They are top-notch quality
I don’t think you can buy a better axe than Granfors-Bruks. It may be that some other brands give more bang for the buck, but if you really appreciate good quality and don’t mind paying more, these blow away anything else I’ve seen.

If you want an axe that also makes a really durable hammer, get a cheaper brand with a solid-steel head (handle-through-the-head axes are easily deformed if you use them as a wedge or sledge hammer and pound on them too hard).

Agree w/ guideboyguy…

– Last Updated: Jun-26-07 2:06 PM EST –

I have a Granfors-Bruks small forest axe.
I think it's worth every penny I spent.
You can find something cheaper.
Not sure cheaper will equal the quality of the Gransfor Bruks axes.
Have had it for 2 years; expect it will last for a long time.

Just stating an opinion; not an axe expert by any means.

BOB

Also agree
I have the small splitting axe. Does an excellent job on two handed big splitting jobs or one handed kindling and shavings work. Mine fits nicely into my 25" high Granite Gear portage pack. I love the roughened grip area for secure grip when swinging away. I agree with Eric and The Bob that it would be hard to find better axes. But I will also say don’t get the Gransfors Bruks axe unless you are always going to use a chopping block under your work piece when you use it and lightly oil the edge occasionally when the axe is in storage. The axe has a razor sharp edge to enhance performance and the only way to keep that edge sharp and un-nicked for this performance is by always chopping into wood and keeping rust away. Also if the head of your axe also needs to be a pounding tool, forget the Gransfors; get a cheaper axe.

Gransfors are Excellent…
although I have found that Wetterlings are up there too. Wetterlings are not finished on the edge or poll to the standards that G-B are, but if you are like me and will reprofile you axe (I use the scary sharp system with a compliant layer to dress my convex edges)you can save some cash by going that route. If you want it ready to rock out of the box, pay the extra for G-B

~Glenn

Darn it! Now I have to go and buy one!
:slight_smile:

Seen it; right off…

– Last Updated: Jun-27-07 4:30 PM EST –

Waterborne; you have the makings of a "gearhead".

Good luck,

BOB

Markings?!
My friend, if you only knew! :wink:

Snow and Neally

– Last Updated: Jun-27-07 7:55 PM EST –

I never held a G-B axe but I always thought Snow and Neally made a pretty decent product. Here is an interesting view on axes in general, Just an FYI-take it for what it's worth.

http://www.poleandpaddle.com/2006/11/then-and-now.html

Edit to include website

Great axe
Have one I keep around - - - but know that I think about it, I never use it. I also like the Eastwing 3/4 axe for general duty although I sometimes wonder if the handle close to the head is a bit small. I’ve never broke any of the eastwing hammers,hatchets or axes though

Haven’t taken an axe or hatchet on a camping trip for 20 years. Just not an item I pack along much.

Granfors-Bruks mini-axe
is the one i’ve got, its in my backpack that i carry everywhere-even into the hospital at work…its only between 10 and 11 ounces, comes razor sharp, lifetime gaurantee…I’ve always thought that people get into trouble when they swing an axe and i’ve instructed my children to use the axe only for splitting…here’s a pic of the GB mini in action:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2364625990084634827CNvSly

If i’m even tempted to swing the axe i’ grab a saw instead so I also carry one of these:

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=GB6048

It only weighs 3 ounces, so for less than a pound you can have saw and axe and all the muti use therein.

Swinging an axe
In general I agree with your comment “I’ve always thought that people get into trouble when they swing an axe”. In summer conditions I don’t bring an axe along on wilderness canoe trips with my groups because of those concerns. However, when out in the sticks in cold, wet, or snowy weather a full size axe may become essential to your survival. Even then heavy splitting chores to get to dry enough wood to start a fire should only be done by those experienced with axes in the group. If you ever go to Bowron Provincial Park in British Columbia to do the 72 mile canoe trail through the mountains after mid September, you better have a full size axe. The rangers won’t let you in without one.

Grabsfors Wildlife Hatchet
I have a Gransfors and love it. Bought it a couple of years ago after I switched to wood burning stoves on my week long canoe trips. I considered the Hunter Axe and Small Forest Axe, both with 19" handles and 1.5 lb. heads. I settled on the Wildlife Hatchet with a 13.5" handle and 1 lb. head as it seemed more packable and adequate for my needs. It has worked out great. As a long time backpaker the thought of packing a pound or pound and half of metal was quite counter intuitive. But canoe camping with others it works out fine.

Note that I also take along a collaspable saw for cutting correct lengths for my stove, then using the axe to split it. The combined saw and axe has worked great for four people. I’ll be on a trip this summer with six people and I am sure the axe will be plenty big enough.

I love to solo and would not hesitate taking the 13.5" axe on a trip while I might think twice about the larger ones.

I paid about $50 for mine.

i head this loud and clear:
‘As a long time backpaker the thought of packing a pound or pound and half of metal was quite counter intuitive’

That’s what motivates me to always look for the lightest yet most durable alternative…I guess the lighter the stuff the more stuff you can take for even more possibilities.