Gransfors Bruks axes

Santa might be bringing me a gift in the form of a sweet Gransfors Bruks axe. But he is baffled at the wide variety of models available.

Wildlife Hatchet?

Hunter’s Axe?

Small Forest Axe?

Forest Axe?

Mini Belt Hatchet?

This would be used exclusively for splitting small rounds on camping trips. Nothing big like a homeowner splitting for a fireplace.

Topher, I seem to remember you obtaining one several years ago. Any suggestions?

Jim

PS: ANd Santa wants to know why the Mini Belt Hatchet is so expensive. Is Clif J getting a royalty?

For your intended purpose…
The small forest axe would be a good choice for your intended purpose. That’s exactly how I use mine. Have had it for 2 years; the quality & workmanship of all their axes is excellent.

BOB

Axs
I have a Wildlife Ax. I is great for cutting firewoods and stuff. The size is also very practical if you do longer trips in the woods. It can easily fit into a rucksack. The bigger Axes are of course more effective but not so handy.

And they just looks cool

Hans

You musta been nice!
The Gransfors are very nice. I had one that was stolen. I’ve got two axes the same size as the small forest axe, and I like that size very much for camping and making fire. Mine are a Weterling (Swedish also)and an oddball Helco (German) my brother found at Harbor Frieght or somewhere like that. Neither come as sharp as a Gransfors, but both are nice little axes. I put an 18" handle on the Helco which came with a shorter handle.

Be careful with the cutty bangy things.

Not to insult you, but if you aren’t already using the battoning technique check that out.

We weren’t taught that in scouts way back when. My Eagle Scout nephew says he was taught it by on of his excellent scout masters.

If Santa feels you’ve be good even in excess of a Gransfor, check out the 7" inch Lueku knives at Ragweed Forge website. Mine is by Iisakki Järvenpää http://www.ragweedforge.com/FinnishKnifeCatalog.html and is a heck of a knive for firemaking. I like it even better than my Cold Steel SRK. Its thinner blade battons beautifully to make kindling so pretty you’ll hate to burn it. :slight_smile:

axes
I’ve got another model you didn’t mention, the carpenter axe. It fits great in my boat, but make a nice heavy duty leather sheath for it.

yep get the Forest Axe
though the backpack behind my desk here in the hospital containes the mini-axe. Thier products are non-pareil (sp?) and you’ll be please to own a piece of art that is very functional…you do know that out of the box it will be razor sharp.

I’ve actually used the mini to kindling wood.

If you’re getting an axe you probably know that an axe is rarely to be swung and are best dowelled against the target-hard to do if it is the head of an assailant but ‘the way’ for splitting wood. Of course the lifetime warrantee is sweet too.

Congratulations on your Christmas present!

I love threads like this …
… where I get to learn of the ‘best’ of things.

Medicineman, if you have time, would you please explain what you mean by:

“If you’re getting an axe you probably know that an axe is rarely to be swung and are best dowelled against the target-hard to do if it is the head of an assailant but ‘the way’ for splitting wood.”

Thanks … from a longtime cheap axe wood splitter.

I am assuming
that his reference to “doweling” is the technique where the round to be split is held vertically on a solid surface, the edge of the axe is placed against the round, and the axe head is struck with another round.

Not very “manly” compared to the old “place a forefinger at the edge of the round and swing axe with other hand” style, but then again I have been instructed to turn over my Man Card in a thread in the B&B.

“Ten Fingers” Jim

I can show you a mishapen fingernail
… that I sliced off cleanly as a youngin’.

Hatchet was very sharp. Dad said stay away from it. Son didn’t listen.

the head on the small GForester
isnt meant to be struck by another axe head. Its not shaped to withstand that type of beating.

By another round of wood ok.

Technically its the wrong shape for splitting, but gee it works.

Small Forest Axe
Another vote for this beauty. I love the lighter head on a longer handle. With the hooked handle, you can easily use it with one hand, but if you need to feel manly, you can swing with both hands.

The mini-belt hatchet is more expensive because there is only one man that making them, initials (LP). He is good, really good. These pieces of steel don’t come out of a mold, they have to be heated red hot and pounded into shape, and it isn’t one piece of metal he’s working with, it’s several pieces. The price is a huge bargain when you consider the craftsmanship in making it. I wouldn’t be surprised if this mini-belt hatchet dies with LP. I couldn’t imagine anyone else wanting to invest as much labor as he does for such little return.

It’s a toss-up
between the Wildlife Hatchet and the Small Forest Axe. Either would work well.

When I was in Boy SCouts we sold large boxes of pretzels & potato chips to make money for Troop 329. The best salesman (salescout?) won a genuine BSA hatchet. Greg won the hatchet, and the next weekend he and Dan tried it out. Yep. Greg chopped the tip off of one of Dan’s fingers.

And naturally they were NOT using the BSA-approved splitting method.

Jim

Not the Hunter’s axe
I have one and the rounded poll makes it hard to drive tent pegs,etc. I’ve been carrying the Carving Axe lately.

Small Forest Axe
Hi Jim,

I have and like the small forest axe. It comes VERY sharp. I have the scar to prove it- Not the fault of the axe, just my stupidity.

Was putting the sheath back on after sharpening a stake and it didn’t slide completely on. I pushed hard and the axe jumped out slicing my finger to the bone. (There was a piece of bark in the sheath that prevented the sheath going on). Took ten stitches and I have a small dead spot on side of finger where nerve was sliced. Doesn’t bother me in any way, so all’s well that ends well.

Dave

Youch!
Did something similar with my old Estwing hatchet. I was sharpening it with a small circular whetstone and allowd my thumb to slightly overhang the edge of the stone. Neatly sliced a layer off the meat.

Jim