Great Lakes Sea Kayak Symposium

Has anyone been to the GLSK sympoium in Grand Maris, Michigan? I'm thinking about attending it this year and am looking for any advice. I saw the prices this year for registration. They continue to increase as the date for the symposium gets nearer. I already missed the first deadline but still think it might be worth it for the experience. Are the classes and trips worth going? What are the accommodations like(where do you stay?/are there places around to eat at?) How good are the instructors? Is there anything else included in registration? Thanks for any help!

It’s been a few years

– Last Updated: Apr-16-07 9:45 PM EST –

since our last visit, but my wife and I went a couple of times when we lived in MI and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Lots of people camp -- the town of Grand Marais runs a campground that's a one-minute walk to the harbor beach, and there's overflow camping on an adjacent field. The hotels are probably full by now.

It's a nice sheltered harbor with a sand beach, but just around the corner you have the whole fetch of Superior to play in. The water is very cold but clean.

We thought the instructors were good, and the trips well-organized. There are also all your fellow paddlers who are usually happy to help if you've got a problem or question.

We used to go up early and spend a couple of days exploring before the symposium -- from Munising up the coast towards Pictured Rocks in good weather, or the lee side of Grand Island if it was blowing above our comfort level.

Check out…
www.grandmaraismichigan.com for accomodations outside of camping. There are numerous houses and cottages to rent. There are only 4 motels and they are most likely full for that weekend by now. The overflow camping is probably the only tenting sites available by now. Only four places to eat; I recommend the Lake Superior Brewing Company. Get the pastie dinner that is offered in the symposium package; can’t be in the u.p. without having a pastie!(pass-tee)

I am a Grand Marais local boy who now lives one hour south in Manistique, so I know the ins and outs of the town. Let me know if I can give any more local info.