Greenland paddling tips

Never tried one. Different strokes for different folks and strokes

Whatever works!

The GP feels better every time I use it, but it’s still going to take a lot of mileage to get fully used to. Had it out in some 15-20 mph winds the other day, and it felt great. With a Euro, it sometimes feels like the wind wants to rip it out of my hands, and paddling into the wind is definitely not the most fun.

Acceleration wise, I may not actually be accelerating faster with the GP, but it’s hard to say. Each stroke requires a lot less force, so I find I can pick up my cadence with the GP quickly. I feel like I can turn the boat better with the GP, especially when I hold it close to one end, and reach way out with a big, sweeping stroke.

4 Likes

Here’s an interesting development. I took my P&H Virgo out today for a change. That boat always makes my left leg uncomfortable, and my foot falls asleep after a while. This was the first time I paddled it with a GP. Maybe it’s just a coincidence, but I didn’t have any comfort problems at all. Weird!

1 Like

Yes… the GP and wind. I always take two paddles. Most folks call that second paddle a ‘spare’. Not me. One paddle will have significantly less area than the other; much better for paddling into the wind. They’re my ‘upwind’ and ‘downwind’ paddles.

2 Likes

First outing today with the Eastpole 2-piece: 5 hour paddle on very windy Lake Arthur (north of Pittsburgh). Central body of the lake has about a 2 mile fetch and there was a steady SW wind creating continuous lines of 12" to 18" troughs with 3’ to 5’ period and some whitecaps.

In fact at one point mid-lake we got tired of the effort of the diagonal broaching and just turned our sterns into the wind and were able to surf towards the north shoreline (we were both in 22" beam Greenland style sea kayaks, 16’ and 15’).

My verdict: the Eastpole is a very nice paddle – I did have to adjust a bit to the thicker loom than I am used to but that actually made it easier to maintain the proper cant – really enjoyed using it and the “baby’s butt” velvety tung oil finish has just the right grip feel. The blades are chubbier in cross section than on my venerable custom one piece cedar and the similar Gearlab Akiak that I have used for years, but that seemed to give the paddle more push. I could really sprint with it.

3 Likes

Oh ya, I’ve seen that Gear Lab paddle with orange tips :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Speaking of impulse buying, I was trying to talk my husband into driving me to the Swiss border to buy the Beaufort so I can roll next week.

I should just drive myself and buy it but he manages the books and does such a good job with the finances I guess I’ll wait. What a shame to be there for ten days without it and then buy it the next month :cry:

I’ve been paddling my used 600 dollar Solstice for eight years, it’s time to move up! My life isn’t getting any longer.

1 Like

I’ve got the cherry red GearLab with black tips (they also sent a pair of white tips with it).

i suppose that paddle was a vain attempt on my part to color coordinate at least one set of my kit (it matches the red Feathercraft Wisper folding kayak).

I usually look like a fruit salad when I am out. Wednesday I was in a royal blue and bright yellow hulled boat, while wearing a bright red shirt, lime green and black PFD, Turquoise hat, hot pink bandana, and with a day-glo orange dry bag and a purple metallic water bottle under the stern bungees. The new pale wood paddle was the only neutral tone in the mix (even my hair is bright teal blue at the moment. )

2 Likes

Puts my very plain Magic (Starlight) to shame, even with a jumbo bag of Skittles.

Way off topic, but I wish I’d had a camera with me about 15 years ago when I spotted my favorite colorful boat outing to date.

My brother and I were preoparing to launch our kayaks one sunny Autumn Sunday onto Fish Creek near Saratoga Springs, in upstate NY. We were right beside the local outfitter’s boat rental kiosk and I overheard the attendant telling someone that he was sorry but all the boats were already gone. I turned to see that the disappointed would-be paddler was a tall heavily bearded Hasidic father dressed in the characterisic wide brimmed felt hat and long wool coat of that Jewish sect His wife and 5 young children, 3 girls and 2 boys, were also wearing their traditional garb, long sleeved and skirted dresses with black stockings for the girls and dark vest suits and yarmulkes and side curls for the boys.

The children were clearly distressed at the news that there were no boats for them. The father pleaded with the rental agent, explaining that they had driven “up from the city” to give the family a day in the sun. My brother and I were considering offering to let the kids have some turns in our kayaks when the agent had a sudden idea: they had always had a large old high-sided wooden row boat, a wherry or dory of some kind, parked beside the boathouse, that was completely covered with a psychedelic paint job of tge shop logo plus flowers, rainbows, mushrooms and paisley patterns.

After conferring with the shop manager as to the seaworthiness of this piece of marine decor, the agent and other shop personnel managed to haul the colorful craft 20’ to the launch ramp and into the water. Once they’d determined it would not leak they oufitted the family with a motley assortment of canoe and kayak paddles and sent them on their way. The boat had three benches and the paterfamilias sat tall and proud, hat and coat still on and arms folded across his chest, in the bow while his wife and offspring perched on the midships and stern benches whooping with joy and flailing paddles as they drove the boat in wide wavering circles between the dock and opposite shore. Brother and I smiled and waved at them, shouting “bon voyage” as we paddled upstream and they all waved back.

When we paddled back downstream an hour later they were still at it, now singing in Hebrew and still joyfully rowing in circles. I have never seen a happier or more enthusiastic group on the water. They were certainly a unique vision, in their muted vintage attire afloat on that dazzlingly colorful Bohemian boat.

6 Likes

Keep them wet . Mileage.
Let them guide your space time

between the water and the sky.
Peace J

5 Likes

Not a great pic of the entire paddle, but this is my new Eastpole Nanook breakdown GP on its first outing last week – shows the flush button on the joint. The blade is fine – what looks like rough wood is just water sheeting off in the rain.

1 Like

Must be the angle but the loom looks thick.

It is thicker than either my custom cedar one piece or the GearLab. Once can find one of my measuring tapes I’ll compare the circumferences (still only half unpacked from moving.) I thought it might be a problem paddling but I adjusted to it quickly and it seemed to help me keep the right cant to the blade. I don’t use a tight grip anyway with the GP. The blades are definitely chubbier.

2 Likes

I believe that’s the split made by Kajak Sport in Finland. They are 9 inches long and the oval cross section is 1.175" by 1.620".

KS Greenland paddle split - Kajak Sport

I know because if I am correct about the manufacturer they are the same ones I use for my 2 piece paddles, and I have one right here to measure.

2 Likes

After paddling with my GP for a few weeks, I took my Euro-style out today (a Werner Cyprus). It felt weird! There is more power for sure, but it comes on sooner in the stroke, and doesn’t last as long. It also takes a lot more effort to use. Speed wise, I am definitely faster with the Cyprus, roughly by 0.5 mph. However, the GP is just so much more relaxing to use, and I feel like I can paddle farther and do less work. So, it’s probably not worth sweating that extra 1/2 mph.

I came to another realization; I think the Cyprus is too long for me (220 cm). It was OK when I had a 25.5" Tsunami, but with a 22" Tempest, I think a 210 cm would be better (I’m almost 6’). Not really sure it’s worth investing in a 210 Cyprus at this point because I’ll probably be using my GP most of the time. Guess I’ll see how it goes. I definitely feel more connected and at one with the water when using the GP. Hopefully, as I keep getting used to it, I can pick up a touch more speed.

3 Likes

A few years ago, a friend who is equally skilled with GPs, Euros and wing paddles did some comparison tests between them using a heart rate monitor to make sure his effort was the same with each one. The result was that the wing was significantly faster than a GP or Euro - no surprise there - but that there was no measurable difference between the GP and Euro. I’ve heard the same thing from several other sources over the years and it mirrors my own experience. Once you have the GP technique nailed down, it’s every bit as efficient as a Euro paddle.

7 Likes

That’s good to hear. I did a quick sprint yesterday with the GP in my Tempest, and I hit 6.2 mph, which is very similar to the speed I hit in the past with my Euro. I think with time, I can get about the same performance from the GP as the Euro. Even if I don’t, if I’m just toodling along at a touring pace (like 3.5-4 mph), I feel like I can paddle almost indefinitely. It’s just so smooth and the effort required is much less.

3 Likes

Not exactly tips but… I’ve had three short paddles using a GP, after forty plus years using EP’s. I am impressed so far! Some things came intuitively like sliding the paddle through my hands to extend the paddle for course correction. I also like how it is less grabby than an EP when using it as a rudder when surfing. I have neither the tools or skills to carve my own GP so I spent a fair chunk of my tax refund on a Gearlab Outdoors Akiak GP.

3 Likes

No please no.