GroundHog stakes

More of a camping thing but…

I switched from a steel wire-type tent stake to the MSR GroundHog stake which has its value BUT…

It tears up my plastic and rubber mallet. And the ground in Az is so hard you cannot just push them into the ground.

I do not want to haul a heavy steel hammer in a kayak or backpack and was thinking of putting a temp sleeve like an empty shell-case over the stake but at 9/16", they simply do not make shells that large that are easily found.

Nor do I want to use a rock or stick as these create smashed fingers.

How do you people deal with the situation?

Should i dump my groundhogs and return to steel rod stakes?

Groundhogs are great stakes.
Plastic stake mallets are $3-$6. I’d just use one at the risk of tearing it up and replace it if it beoame nonfunctional. Can’t imagine one being torn up that badly for a long time.

What plastic hammer do you have?

– Last Updated: Jul-20-15 5:25 PM EST –

I have one that's a pretty common brand, though I have no idea what kind it actually is. I've been hammering heavy-duty nails into the ground with it and have had no problems. When the ground is hard, I find that a big thick nail holds pretty well, and will go through stuff that would bend most metal tent stakes (when I need more holding power in semi-soft ground, additional nails can be used in various ways to create really good holding power). You implied that your hammer is part plastic, part rubber. The rubber part may be the problem, but if it turns out that there's no way to avoid chewing up your hammer, I'd agree with the previous poster, and just plan on replacing it as needed.

By the way, if the ground is so hard that you are really beating on that hammer, big nails might be a great alternative anyway. You can probably get at least a dozen of them for the cost of just one fancy metal tent stake, and they are virtually indestructible (you wouldn't want them for backpacking though, on account of the weight).

stone
bags

I’ve never carried a mallot
More inclined to carry a small shovel, great for leveling out tent platforms on beaches. If I take stakes I use a rock to pound them in, have to make sure I don’t try and cheat and use my foot.

But mostly I tie extra p-cord into the tent and stack rocks or bury dead men to get a really bomber setup. Bags (tent stuff sacks) filled with sand or rocks work great as well. But that’s more beach camping than anything else. I’ve seen people in the pnw carry small screw eyelets to anchor into all the driftwood on the beaches there. So unless the ground hogs give you more purchase, I’d get some titanium wire stakes and get good at hammering them in with a rock.

more info
I used the standard plastic hammer that you get at every samping gear shelf. One trip virtually destroyed the hammer head.

Then switched to a smaller rubber mallet, same thing.

Bagically, the groundhog triangular shape has ridges that tear up the hammer.

I am thinking of making a sleeve but that is just before I sel lthe stakes.

When I go car-camping, I use large steel nails, the king you find at wal-mart but I get them larger, stronger and cheaper at the harware store. I then use a carpenters hammer to pound them in.

But this is boat and pack camping so want to reduce weight.

Rocks… tried those, shatter the rock, smash my thumb, no more.

I was hoping that people who use the MSR-Groundhog (or the knock-offs) would have an idea other than haul a carpenters hammer or sledge.

At Walmart You Can Buy
Bungees, cord and small stuff sacks to create a tent securing system without using stakes. I’ve used bungees on snow to rock. The help tents shed wind better.

I have groundhog stakes with my MSR tent. I’ve always used a piece of wood to keep from damaging them.

I live in AZ. I’ve found river rocks that have been used as tools over 20 from the river. If cavemen can use rocks as tools I don’t see why modern man has to use plastic hammers.

cavemen lived to be about 25.

– Last Updated: Jul-21-15 4:55 PM EST –

Sorry but that meme is so tired.

Maybe
I use the ground hogs but use a rock. … While reading this I was wondering if maybe a spoon would help. Place the spoon or something similar on top of the stake after getting it started.

Throw money at the problem
Epoxy a nickel/quarter/half dollar onto the head of the plastic mallet.

Maybe
Glue a copper pipe end cap onto your mallet? Just a thought…

problem solved!
I found a broken 'captain’s chair with a pole that barely slid over the stake, but loose.

I cut a 2" length, went to Ace Hardware and bought a copper cap for 59 cents that I epoxied over the pipe section.

Now I slide that pole section over the stake, pound it in, remove the pipe and store it in my stake-bag.

A really cheap solution to a major problem.

If you don’t have an old chair to cut up, use heavy duct tape around the pole, sticky-side out, slide the copper cap over the tape, then cover with another layer sticky side in to make a ‘tape’ sleeve that goes over the stake and holds the cap in place. Much cheaper and easier.

well done
Congratulations from the Mothers of Invention!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2a0ux53dKY

Groundhog Steaks
Place the groundhog steak flat in the pan with shallots and sear until deep brown on one side, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook on the other side until a thermometer inserted sideways into the thickest part registers 120 degrees for medium-rare, 3 to 4 more minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes. Reserve the drippings in the skillet. Enjoy!

Maybe If You Can’t Figure How To Set
A tent stake without some tool you have to bring perhaps you shouldn’t be going camping. Sheeesh!!

Rocks and simple cord with work. Especially since most tents are free standing these days. I often don’t bother with stakes if I know rain and wind won’t be a problem.