Grumman aircraft eng. corp

Thank you. Mine is a 15’ sport so it has a square back on it. Almost like a gheenoe but WAY before there where gheenoes. I believe it was made to row, sail or be motorized. I will get some better pictures and upload them but here is one I have in my phone. Right now it will only let me post 1 picture because I’m new to the Forum.

1 Like

Wow, I would definitely like to see more photos of that. I have NEVER anything like that out of Bethpage.

PJC, do you know the name and model of that float plane. My father took us to Essex Skypark Airport during my childhood. One of those floatplane had been abandoned in the wood line north east behind the hangers. I tried to find information on the plane for the past 60 years but couldn’t find pictures or any information. Until you posted that picture, I was starting to think it was a figment if my imagination.

PJC, you confirmed in a following post that it’s the “Duck”. Thanks for that post.

My brother had a Grumman 17 ft canoe in the 1970. I loved the boat. Unfortunately, it was reformed around an object in the Gunpowder River. We painted a mark on the Rt 1 bridge so we knew whether a short section or rapids on the river would be passable.

If there is a boat I miss, that canoe would be it. It fulfilled the dream of getting on the water, and it’s destruction ended my white water adventures. My favorite boat for many reason, including camping down the Potomac with my sister and her husband.

2 Likes

50-C-3-17 list $ 131.00

brochure from 1946-1952 while still in bethpage.
All those interested should copy this photo as I notice after awhile the photos I link to using imgur disappear.

2 Likes

Its how most of us started. I remember paddling a rented Grumman that was 15 feet in the Boy Scouts in 1961.

1 Like

I have a fond affection for the 17 foot aluminum canoe my brother owned. Doesn’t matter about the deficiencies. It represented a fond moment in time.

1 Like

I always hated portaging the keg, but at that price point I will take one of each fully accessorized.
Wood paddles and all. Where do I send the check ? I’m good with “Express C.O.D” that must be something new.
J

About 8 years ago I met the guy that runs the local fish hatchery. He was a paddle head from Pennsylvania and we started talking about running the East Fork of the Carson River in a canoe. It has some rocks and is very rarely run in a canoe. We took his old Grumman.

It has a fun Class II run but fairly tight in spots with a lot of overhanging willows. We had to carry around 4 irrigation diversions which is why the run is not popular. .

The old aluminum canoe was a little hard to turn because of the shoe keel, but it was plenty buoyant and rode over waves with great ease. One of the most skilled paddlers I have run rivers with. We had a lot of fun and I got to paddle in the bow for a change.

3 Likes

We hear square back and flat back as ways to describe what is properly called the transom on a canoe designed for a small outboard.