Guadalupe river

Hoping to canoe this route in a couple weeks. Maybe right after Christmas. We will see if the weather holds.

2 Likes

The reach from Cuero to the park in Victoria is a nice section. Not a lot of camp spots, except at the road crossings, but there is always enough water to get down there and you can easily make 447 to the park in a day. The put in at Thomaston though is a bit steep.

1 Like

If I do Cuero to Victoria I will probably do it over 3 days-2 nights. It didn’t work out in December. I am eyeing the end of February now.

We are going to do the Sabine from 59 to 2517 (30mi) the 24th to the 26th (weather permitting). The White Bass should be running. It’s a nice trip. Great camp spots.

1 Like

I have yet to do the Sabine. Good to know. Do you use a livery or self-shuttle?
I will be guiding a group of men and sons down the Neches that weekend (March) on an annual trip we have been doing for around 10 years.

1 Like

We had a guy in Carthage that used to shuttle for us, but he stopped after Covid. We just run it ourselves and try lo leave as few cars as possible at 59. Since there is usually a lot of rain in February, we only get to do it every few years. If the river is high all the sandy camp beaches get covered and the fishing gets tough.
We have used Eastex down in Silsbee on the Neches and Village Creek for shuttles before. They have been around a long time.

1 Like

Unfortunately, Eastex has gone out of business. Perry decided to sell it to one of his workers because of health issues, but the guy didn’t really know what he was doing, I guess. The good news is that the lady that owns Sheffield Ferry boat ramp bought some of his canoes and started her own service. We used her once and she did a great job.

It is getting tougher and tougher between access issues and livery owners retiring on some of these rivers, especially in East Texas where there weren’t many choices to begin with. There is a good service on the Trinity below Livingston now. Hope she does well.

fun to come across some fellow TX paddlers on this forum.

1 Like

There’s a bunch on here. Lot of them are not big talkers. Mostly readers.

1 Like