Gulf Shores Alabama

Our family of four adults will be in Gulf Shores Alabama for a week in late April. Looking for some on the water adventures-nothing too crazy. Any suggestions for kayaking spots? Either salt or fresh water, intermediate paddlers. We’ll be flying so any help with rentals is appreciated. Thanks. Jim

Gulf Coast
The Gulf Shores beaches are very nice. There were a couple of rental places 2 or 3 years ago when I was down that way, unfortunately, I didn’t get the opportunity to paddle when I was down there.

The great thing is that you have the Gulf side, the bay side, and the ICW all right there. The rental shop will probably have suggestions based on what you want to do. “Paddling Alabama” also has a couple of trips in that general area including one out to Sand Island which I believe moved quite a bit during a recent hurricane (it’s closer now).

If you aren’t used to dealing with tides, check the charts and talk to the rental shop.

Also, look into paddling on the Wildlife Refuge (bay side) and possible around Fort Morgan ald Daulphin Island:

http://www.fws.gov/bonsecour/

Jim

Fairhope Boat Co
Two locations on the coast, one in AL and one in FL. Call them up and tell them what you’re looking for. They do sales and rentals

Just returned
from several days in the area. We paddled twice, once on Fish River, launching from a ramp on Honey Road and taking out at the ramp at the Hwy 98 bridge, then from a neat little launch site on Graham Creek, which opens into Wolf Bay after a couple of miles. The wind was blowing, so we didn’t venture out into the Bay. There are several other places to paddle in the area, but the wx just didn’t cooperate for our trip so I have no first hand knowledge yet. I second the suggestion to get in touch with Fairhope Boat Company. We’ve bought two boats from them and found them very pleasant and easy to deal with.

There are a lot of options, just take wind and tide into account.

Enjoy the trip!

…JB