gunwale strength

The result of all this bickering is
that ogg can save $150.

The issue of portaging came up in the
2nd response to the OP and recurred now and then afterward. Some people like to restrict the scope of a conversation to only the question asked, and some others introduce considerations that they think might become important. Some people find the epithet “idiot” to be more insulting than the epithet “pussy.” You and one other poster, while not using epithets at that time, indicated that you thought those of us concerned about portage weight were perhaps making more of the problem than we should. Then I pointed out very clearly why I had found that it was a problem. It’s a problem that can be partly solved at the time of canoe purchase, by not buying 85 pound canoes when good 70 pound canoes may be available, or nice used 50 pound canoes.

I would never want anyone to buy an 85 pound canoe, even a good one like a Tripper, without knowing that he would come to regard that canoe as darned heavy. And others of us seem to feel that way. I’m trying to help OP make a better decision. It’s not clear that you are.

Just bought a Discovery 169
off of Craiglist. Was about to pull the trigger on a Tripper from REI online (15% off this week + $100 gift card), gulped at the price and checked out Craiglist one more time…BAM!..canoes are relatively uncommon in my area but a fellow transplanted here from Maine had one he needed to dispose of. I’m looking at floating flatwater sections of the Colorado River, Sacramento River, some smaller fishing lakes in the foothills and Sierra, maybe the Green River in Utah, so no long portages that I’m aware of but you never know.

I’ve received advice that has pretty much sold me on the T-bar setup for ease of loading/unloading. Definitely need to work out some kind of cart. I like the idea of the one that has wheels both over and under, might try making one, but that’s a topic for another thread.

you’ll like it …

– Last Updated: May-27-11 11:13 PM EST –

....... when using the T-Bar on back , after you set one end of the canoe up in the T , just make sure you have a temporary bungie straped to it before picking the other end up off the ground to walk it around to the front bar .

If you pick up too high while the canoe is facing straight back , the tip may bump the auto's roof (that could knock it off the T w/o the bungie) . And besides , just the temporary bungie at all times when loading , don't forget that .

The higher you raise the T of the Bar (it's adjustable) , the more tip clearance you'll have .

You can also load the canoe at a 90 degree angle to the auto if you have enough room to the side to do that (it doesn't have to be straight back) . Efectively that puts the end on the ground 1/2 way around to the front already , and you can pick it up as high as you want cause the tip won't be over the auto's top like that .

You know , that 169 Disco is actually easy to paddle solo from the stern seat , you just need a slight bit of ballast in the bow area ... and light winds . You'd be amazed how fast it will go that way !!

Congratulations
Congrats on the Disco. I like the design, as it is very similar to a Tripper, so stable and predictable and comfortable. It ought to be a good canoe for many years, and it will be a whole lot less worry than a canoe that cost 4X as much but isn’t any tougher.

spend the extra money on a great cart
I just got a C tug cart and really like it except for the strap with I replaced. Their are a lot of great cart that will work for your canoe.

Also get some bathroom rugs with rubber on the bottom. Lay them on the back of your car to help slide the canoe onto the roof.

OTOH I bet that at some
point you will go lighter as you want to go farther.

I am down in boat weight to 28 lbs and tougher and stiffer than poly. And yes 4x more expensive but I expect to be able to paddle till I die. Its an investment of about 60 tankfuls of gas.

I have seen it time and time again. Its not the weight of the boat on the water but the getting it around. When it requires special tools it becomes much less fun. And less used.