H2 Glue

I just ran out of the sticky stuff and only like one hip pad. Hate to wait two weeks to get it from NRS. Is there an alternative I could find locally??? Thanks

Yup…
Weldwood contact cement, standard viscosity or gel. I prefer the gel.

Available at any good hardware outlet.

Holmes

DAP Contact Cement
I have used both the version that comes in a spray can and the small bottle. Both have worked well and are also generally available at hardware stores.

Mark

DAP = Weldwood
Weldwood contact cement is a product made by DAP.

weldwood, me too
Works great and won’t let you loose your pads on the highway during a hot humid day. You can get it at The Home Depot for about $5 for the small bottle.

Seal Cement…
…is made for the marine environment. Though it seems a number of people have had good luck with Weldwood contact cement on this site, I have not. I have had multiple failures using it as directed when gluing foam into boats. On the other hand, Seal Cement has never come apart on me. Just my experience.

http://www.mcnett.com/page.cfm?pageID=528

Four wood boats and 8 years later
and my minicell is still sticking to the boats using plain old hardware store contact cement.

Randy

Elmers Polyurethane Glue
Works really well too. It requires water to cure and creates a very strong supposedly waterproof bond. I have used it on kneeling pads and d rings with so far great success.

Thanks to
all for the replies. The weldwood was very easy to find and much easier to work with than the H2. I only glued one piece in with it so it should be a really good comparison of the Weldwood to H2…

What type of failures?
When gluing foam to a boat with contact cement, it’s critical that you use at least two coats of glue on the foam. The first coat is absorbed into the surface pores and the second coat is necessary in order to get a good bond.

If you’re gluing to a plastic boat, roughing the surface slightly with sandpaper helps to create a stronger bond.

Done that…
…and after getting cockpit soaked practicing rescues, etc., for a while it’s come apart on me several times. Like I say, that’s just my experience. Seal Cement was all a couple of local kayak shops around here sold when I first started kayaking, for similar reasons I was told. I tried Weldwood later with poor luck and then went back to Seal Cement. I use the Weldwood for laminate when I do woodworking projects, but I’m using the Seal Cement on the water now. If Weldwood works for you, more power to you!

If we follow directions…
Evidentily all the methods work better if we follow directions. I for one have been remiss here in the past, did not rough up things, only used one coat, etc.

Evan

DIRECTIONS

Shake tube well before using. Thoroughly clean and dry entire area for repair. Apply cement on both edges of the repair area with the enclosed applicator brush. Allow this first coat to dry for 5 minutes. Next, apply a second coat to the repair area and allow it to dry for an additional 10 minutes. Press and hold edges of repair together for long lasting repairs.