Hand painting a boat

I just picked up a fiberglass Blackhawk Zephyr. taken as a whole the boat is in great condition but the previous owner(s) applied too much oil and or stain, it’s hard to tell, to the wood work subsequently leaving several ugly runs down the inside of the of-white hull. Ive tried all the usual solvents (goo gone, acetone, mineral spirits) to try to remove the resin but haven’t had and luck yet, the stuff just won’t budge. I’m now toying with the idea of painting the interior of the hull to freshen it up and hide the runs. As previously mentioned the hull is the silver blackhawk fiberglass layup, I’m already aware that paint will add weight to the boat, but I’m not concerned with that. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice and or point me in the right direction regarding painting, what type of paint to use ie. oil based, bushed or sprayed, number of coats, and most importantly will the paint negatively affect the lay up ie. delamination, blistering. Any feedback you provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

PM sent
Want to see photos of what I did Ed?

Reply to PM I sent.

BOB

Yeah that would be great
I PM’d you back.

Thanks Ed

rattle cans
I’ve painted fiberglass boats with hardware store rattle can paint without any problems.

Never saw pics … Scrape off the runs ?
You can be real accurate with a utility blade and drag those runs off without effecting surrounding surface.

Ditto
I too have sometimes had luck scraping off those dried-on penetrating oil runs. I have generally used the type of paint scraper designed to scrape dried paint off of window panes that accepts safety razor blades.

You have to be careful not to gouge the resin or paint and the surface under the run might be lighter in color after removing the run.

Acetone didn’t work??
Acetone will usually dissolve anything but epoxy. My first attempt would be to cleat up the drips with possible scraping and then wet sanding the area with 600 or higher wet paper. Then scrub the interior with scotch bright pads and strong detergent to see if you can rejuvenate it without going into painting.

If you do paint, you have to scrub it anyhow to get rid of any mold release. I assume the inside is glass weave too which can make a paint job turn out like crap if not prepared well.

Spray can enamel is fine to use but I’m not sure on what primer you would need especially if it’s a weave fabric.

In my experience
when the stuff is really dried on, neither acetone nor methyethylketone will dissolve it.