Handicapped paddlers

How do you or your group feel about helping handicapped paddlers? Specifically, someone who has difficulty walking but is a good paddler once in the boat .
Is it considered an imposition helping get someone into and out of the water?

Apparently not, we’ve done it many times with our 80 plus year old paddlers in the club. Sometimes we put them in a tandem if a long paddle.

But it gets tiring when the on the water paddling or decision making gets faulty.

We also have some that get in fine but need help getting out after a long paddle.

Real “challenged”:paddlers like my friend works with, disabled vets, don’t paddle with us much.

Come on Jim; I would help you any day !

With that said, if the person could keep them self afloat either by swimming or with a PFD, I would help them in a heart beat. Why not ?
If we were putting in at a launch site and (just doing a leisurely paddle), and saw a handicapped person alone, I would not only help them, but invite them to join us. Why not on that too ?

Wouldn’t bother me a bit. (I’m kinda slow exiting my boat, my own self.)

Do you have programs in your town?

https://m.facebook.com/events/adventure-kayak-florida/adaptive-kayaking-clinic/676211249233371/

http://www.coj.net/departments/parks-and-recreation/disabled-services/programs-and-services/adaptive-recreation

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/kayak-81419-tickets-67233813145

One of the most enjoyable paddling experiences I have had was twice helping out taking a group of blind kids out paddling canoes on a lake. Obviously, they needed some assistance and instruction, but they did incredibly well and were both delighted and delightful. I’m sure some of them had been on boat rides in the past, but being a tandem canoe and paddling allowed them to feel that they were really contributing. They could dip their hands and feet in the water, feel the rocking of the boat, etc.

I always try to remember to ask permission to render assistance regardless of my private assessment on one’s abilities. That seems to respect their dignity while letting them know I am willing to help or not if they decline. If accepted, I always ask how to best render a hand. I also remain open minded and humble enough to learn and share from other paddlers (or any other pursuit) regardless of their apparent skills and knowledge.

@string said:

Is it considered an imposition helping get someone into and out of the water?

Imposition? I think it would be wonderful to lend a hand.

Ask if they need help. Personally I am awkward getting up after a couple of hours. Most helpful actions make the situations more difficult.

I asked because I am the one with the handicap. My legs do not function properly. It’s genetic; lower spine is a wreck.
Yesterday, I went to a large paddling Meetup. Some guys grabbed my boat and carried it to the put in. I simply can’t walk in mud or sand , so with some more help, I launched and had a great time.
When I came in, I stepped into a couple of inches of mud and couldn’t move. I asked 2 guys I know for help and they got me out of it and loaded the boat and were very gracious about it.
I am apparently the one with the problem. It is probably male ego nonsense but I feel strange having to depend on others to do what I love.
I have always been the biggest , usually the strongest guy in the group. Now little old people open doors for me.
Thank goodness for helpers because I will continue to paddle as long as I can.

I just came off a three-day camper where I was joined by a good paddling friend. He has had a bunch of problems with his hip, walks just okay with a cane and a limp, but has a hard time getting in and out of his boat, and the steep banks at our camp sites were a real challenge.

I know he really loves kayaking and I am happy he joined us. He is a solid paddler. You have to really love it to go through the effort it takes him to get on the water. I need to tell him to keep coming on trips. I don’t want him to quit because he thinks he is a drag on the group. We are all very happy to help, but I think he may feel bad because he can’t do all by himself. Thanks for posting, String. I’ll make a point to tell him to keep coming out.

~~Chip

We took a blind novice paddler on a 3 hour river outing a few years ago. Two of us would flank her kayak and stay even with her, talking or whistling so she could judge our location and know she was on track and safe on both sides – she eventually said she could hear and aurally track our paddles splashing so we didn’t have to keep up the patter. She loved the experience, describing how freeing it felt to be able to propel herself so fast without having to worry about obstacles.

I like paddling with people that really enjoy paddling and being outdoors. Folks with handicaps may enjoy the opportunity to paddle more than most. Our club in Ann Arbor also took a blind guy out one time and what a treat it was to be with someone so tuned in to the sounds and feel of paddling and so happy to be on the water.

I think everyone is handicapped but maybe some weaknesses are easier to see than others.

String, I have paddled for years with various groups, both public and private. I have never seen anyone annoyed about having along a paddler who needed help. I used to paddle regularly with an older woman who couldn’t carry her own boat and often needed a tow at the end of a long day on the river. No one ever commented or complained and there were always multiple helping hands. Now I’m at the age when arthritis makes walking difficult, and I’m the one who needs help on land. So I’ve learned to just go with it and let the younger, fitter boaters carry the load. (It helps that I paddle a whitewater boat which the young studs can toss around with ease.) The best part of being a paddler is all the kind, generous people you meet along the way. Put the ego aside and enjoy the ride.

String, I have paddled for years with various groups, both public and private. I have never seen anyone annoyed about having along a paddler who needed help. I used to paddle regularly with an older woman who couldn’t carry her own boat and often needed a tow at the end of a long day on the river. No one ever commented or complained and there were always multiple helping hands. Now I’m at the age when arthritis makes walking difficult, and I’m the one who needs help on land. So I’ve learned to just go with it and let the younger, fitter boaters carry the load. (It helps that I paddle a whitewater boat which the young studs can toss around with ease.) The best part of being a paddler is all the kind, generous people you meet along the way. Put the ego aside and enjoy the ride.

We all need assistance at one time or the other. The key is having the judgement of your own capabilities that allows you to show up to the right paddles. If age and health makes you a “drifter” show up to drifter paddles. If you’ve become a drifter don’t show up to the 42 mile circle the barrier island day paddle.

One of the problems with age is that we often remember what we could do when we were 20-40 and try and apply it to a time when things have changed. One paddler I know came to a paddle and needed help in summer weight clothing when it was 42 degrees and blowing 20. Her comment is oh I paddled the boundry waters. She had to be towed in to over come the wind. Another paddler I know that needs younger legs assistance has experience, but often forgets things. One 95 degree day he went on a paddle, and easy down stream paddle. Everyone was concerned about him cause he looked and acted “done in”. We asked him if he was ok? had he been drinking water? “no, didn’t bring any”. I gave him my spare bottle and he put it in the bottom of his canoe and didn’t drink any. The retired nurses on the paddle all expected him to fall out and any time.

Don’t be those people.

I haven’t so far. I’ve lead trips with those characters along.

@Overstreet said:
We all need assistance at one time or the other. The key is having the judgement of your own capabilities that allows you to show up to the right paddles. If age and health makes you a “drifter” show up to drifter paddles. If you’ve become a drifter don’t show up to the 42 mile circle the barrier island day paddle.

One of the problems with age is that we often remember what we could do when we were 20-40 and try and apply it to a time when things have changed. One paddler I know came to a paddle and needed help in summer weight clothing when it was 42 degrees and blowing 20. Her comment is oh I paddled the boundry waters. She had to be towed in to over come the wind. Another paddler I know that needs younger legs assistance has experience, but often forgets things. One 95 degree day he went on a paddle, and easy down stream paddle. Everyone was concerned about him cause he looked and acted “done in”. We asked him if he was ok? had he been drinking water? “no, didn’t bring any”. I gave him my spare bottle and he put it in the bottom of his canoe and didn’t drink any. The retired nurses on the paddle all expected him to fall out and any time.

Don’t be those people.

“One of the problems with age is that we often remember what we could do when we were 20-40”

If you can remember what you could do between 20 and 40 then you are not old yet !

I have trouble remembering what I did last year !

@JackL said:

@Overstreet said:

Don’t be those people.

“One of the problems with age is that we often remember what we could do when we were 20-40”

If you can remember what you could do between 20 and 40 then you are not old yet !

I have trouble remembering what I did last year !

Or what I had for dinner.