handwarmers

A few years ago I got a couple handwarmers that were a plastic pouch filled with some kind of gel, and a small metal disc that you would click to activate the warmer. They were reuseable by boiling them, and made instant and very hot heat. Anyone hear of these and know where to get them?

The Heat Solution
Zap Pac Heat Pack

I’ve been keeping them here in the Showroom as not only do they work and are reuseable but they’re rather fun to trigger and watch the process of the crystal(s) grow inside to fill the pouch. Inexpensive at $8 and recharge after boiling in water for 20min. or so.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

thanks

try K-Mart
I’ve got more than one brand and I think I’ve seen them at K-Mart. I think you could try any big sporting goods store or K-Mart or Target.

what it is - make your own
it’s simply a supersaturated solution of sodium acetate, that needs a “kick” to start the crystallization out of solution (the metal disc). it’s exothermic so once it turns solid it warms up. then just heating it up in a microwave increases the solubility until it all redissolves and it’s ready to go again. buy some sodium acetate online and mix it with distilled water in a ziploc baggie and you’re set to go.

zzz
Thanks for the explaination of the reaction. The instructions on the ones I have here is to boil it where you described microwaving the pack. My usual experience, to the detriment of a old microwave years ago, with metal is that it makes for quite a show when you activate the microwave. No pyrotechnics with the solution surrounded disc?

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com