Happy Summer Solstice!

Smokin’ hot here.

If he were still living it would be my dad’s birthday.

A perfect day (partly cloudy & low 70s light breeze) for a lap around the local lake. Out for about an hour & a half.

My first day of summer was odd. Sunny, air temp 72F, but water temp on Lake Michigan is 52F. Did not want to wear a drysuit because of the layering challenges, so decided to paddle one of the major inland lakes up here. While loading my car, my door clobbered me above my left eyebrow so trip got delayed while I sat with an icepack for 30 minutes, then stuck a band aid on the cut. When I got to my destination there were posted signs warning about chemical applications to control invasive species and a truck either putting something in the water or taking water out. My intuition told me I’d be safer paddling at home, so I did. :expressionless:

I have gotten whacked in that same spot, probably more than once. That’s why foreheads are tough.
I hope your next trip is better.

@string said:
I have gotten whacked in that same spot, probably more than once. That’s why foreheads are tough.
I hope your next trip is better.

That makes me feel less klutzy. Thanks, string.

Car door swung and clunked my forehead.
Rising pain backed into crossbar dread.
So many bumps uprising this topknot,
phrenologist got lost mapping my canyon lot.

Didn’t get out! Poured rain! And we are still in fleece. Water temp is not warming as the air is stubborn too. Fed the woodstove. Today will be 65 degrees. Finally… Might paddle but wind out of NW at 25-20.

Cool poem CWDH

Gorgeous day here in mid-Michigan. Paddled the Grand from Dimondale for about 8 miles.

@rival51 said:
Gorgeous day here in mid-Michigan. Paddled the Grand from Dimondale for about 8 miles.

That looks just lovely. Today I spent a few hours sanding my Merlin II down to 600 grit then went on the St Joseph river only to be among lots and lots of powerboats…I think about 10 passed us at once (5 in each direction) with one moron going straight down the middle at 40+ mph. Dog was shaking like a leaf. Local park was so flooded that I finally just went barefoot to find a put-in. Forecast tomorrow is rain with maybe just a little bit of severe weather and small hail. I will go upstream tomorrow to be among the fishing boats or plan a trip to go somewhere new during the workweek.

@Overstreet said:
If he were still living it would be my dad’s birthday.

My mom passed on the solstice 5 years ago and my father around this time in 2005. It doesn’t make me sad because these are incredibly glorious days of the year.

@TomL I am glad these days bring back happy memories!

@canoeswithduckheads said:

Sweet! And prophetic. Used a new launch site today and paddled a mile and a half in the wrong direction trying to find it.
Thank goodness I had my phone with me so I could check a map. Would have been embarrassing to have to flag down a passing boater and ask for directions.

May I blame the bump on my forehead for forgetting to note landmarks before heading out? :slight_smile:

@Rookie said:

@canoeswithduckheads said:

Sweet! And prophetic. Used a new launch site today and paddled a mile and a half in the wrong direction trying to find it.
Thank goodness I had my phone with me so I could check a map. Would have been embarrassing to have to flag down a passing boater and ask for directions.

May I blame the bump on my forehead for forgetting to note landmarks before heading out? :slight_smile:

Sure. Whatever works.

@TomL the pit-in in Dimondale was a bit damp as well. usually there is a small rapid below this where an old dam was removed. At this water level it was just some fast water.