Harbourfront feedback

I just wanted to post my feedback for the weekend kayak course I just took at the Harbourfront Canoe and Kayak Centre in Toronto. This was the third course I have taken with this group and all have been very useful and enjoyable. The first two were back in February in a pool and covered Kayaking Basics, and Basic Rescues respectively.

The weekend course runs from 9:30 to 4:30 both days of the weekend. There was one instructor (she was Paddle Canada (CRCA) SK2/3 level) to six students, who ranged from complete novices to advanced beginners (me). We were in the inner harbour waters of Lake Ontario. We paddled WS Tempest’s, WS Tsunami’s and I got to use a CD Sciroco.

Throughout the weekend we covered the forward and reverse strokes, forward and reverse sweeps, draw stroke, stern rudder, edging, and stopping. On the Sunday a second instructor joined us and we paddled accross the inner harbour to the Toronto Islands, where they demonstrated the ‘Eskimo’ (bow) rescue, re-enter and roll, rolling, T-Rescue and paddle float self-rescue. They were in dry suits for this as the water tempterature was still only 13c.

I would like to highly recommend the courses offered by this group. The instructors are highly qualified, friendly, and patient. The courses I have taken with them have earned me a Paddle Canada (CRCA) flatwater certification. YEAH! Now I can plan that circumnavigation of Greenland! LOL. On to SK1 next year I think.

http://www.paddletoronto.com/

Chris