harmony typhoon paddle

Found a new Harmony typhoon paddle for 60.00 bucks is that a good price? Has anyone used that paddle or know about harmony?

thank you

good price
Good price for a cheap paddle. Purchase 2 so when one breaks you will have a spare.

Sounds like false economy to me n/m

Good advice since
the paddle has a wood shaft and a composite ferrule and may be prone to breakage. BTW, Harmony no longer makes that paddle, which is why they are available on Ebay for $60. The new version has a stainless steel ferrule, which suggests there were maybe problems with the original design. You can get the new version for $78.

Pure speculation!

– Last Updated: Nov-24-09 5:55 PM EST –

So far what's been offered (thread now archived)seems to be pure speculation vs actual info on/experience with this paddle, but what else is new here, right? Guess I'll join in belatedly.

My (really spoiled by Werner/EPIC/Superior and custom carved GPs/APs) knee jerk reaction is Harmony paddles are all junk, but some are designed by same folks who do the better brands so some decent ones likely get through to market. But again, speculation as i haven't touched a Harmony in maybe 8 years and that was a poor example.

As for the change to SS ferrule (if true, and really same model - I think Dr_Disco was referring to the "Fairwind" which is different and was originally $100 less MSRP), it's unlikely that breakage (assuming that's even an issue) is not going to be in the ferrule, but in the wood where it interfaces with ferrule. Changing the ferrule material wouldn't help that. I think the change (again, if that even happened vs just discontinuing) would have more to do with cost of the parts.

Same for the paddle being discontinued as this originally was a higher priced model in their line (sort of an oxymoron to begin with for Harmony brand) and is a lot more labor and material intensive than their molded blade w alum or composite shaft stuff (seems to be all they make now - that being enough evidence for me). I can't see them keeping anything that used carbon fiber in their line, let alone anything laminated/carved - and it seems they haven't. Side note: Their latest molded blade stuff seem much improved (from heavy junk to pretty decent entry level paddles) and certainly serve a large market segment.

All that doesn't really tell us anything about this paddle though, so I'll let you know. I ordered a 220 and it should be here Monday. If it sucks I'll say so, as according to many here I'm some sort of elitist/gear snob!* *L* Wonder if swinging a $60 Harmony paddle from eBay will change that? Using self carved ones sure hasn't...

Material/construction quality should be pretty obvious. Curious to see how beneficial/functional vs cosmetic the carbon blade faces are. On water eval I'll have to give some time though as it's been a long time since I've used a euro. Hard to justify $ for one when I an make GP/AP/HP (my hybrids being closest to EP in technique).