Has anyone else tried this kayak mod? I love it

Basically, I’ve cut the bottom out of my cockpit. I’ve used silicone to fasten a pair of hip waders to the hole.

When I get tired of sitting all day, now I can slip my legs into the waders, extend them down, and “stand up” with my legs dangling underneath the kayak… It helps if I kick, like a swimming motion.

I’m working on a roll, but, with my legs down I’m finding it difficult to turn over in the first place.

Anyone else try this?
Highly recommend.

3 Likes

You need to get to deeper water to work on your roll, so your legs are further from the ocean bed. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I did try this also. But the waders were too small and I couldn’t get unstuck. I had to walk the 4 miles home (mostly uphill) wearing my kayak.

5 Likes

I believe it is April 1…

3 Likes

If you need extra buoyancy, like if you’re caught in rough water, I think there’s a way to release gas into the waders.

3 Likes

Sounds like a great conversation starter at parties or on blind dates. But I believe William Nealy had an idea along these lines way back when.
minimal kayak

4 Likes

:grin:
Please tell me you have pictures!

Didn’t Fred Flintstone have a canoe like that. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Next up: fitting into a single piece of 3mm plywood for squirt boating.

1 Like

here’s my belated contribution. Definitely a fool for doing this to retrieve a snagged throw rope.

2 Likes