Has anyone successfully used a boat seat in a WS Tsunami kayak?

I have a Wilderness Systems Tsunami that I love. I take it out about a dozen times a year to paddle 6 -8 miles on rivers and streams. I also fish from it. The original seat is killing my back and I really want a boat seat. Whenever I mention this people say,
“That will make it tipsy and unstable.”

I don’t care. I’m not looking for high performance, ability to get the best stroke or staying low to avoid wind etc… Comfort it king. I need a wimpy imperfect fix or I’ll be selling it. And here is the answer to a common response:

“No, I do not want to buy a SOT kayak.”

Thanks for any advice or brands.

Not quite sure what you mean by a boat seat. A google search finds this - that what you mean?

Sitting higher up will change the balance of the boat. Get high enough and you will flip over. Literally inches in height make the difference between paddling and swimming.

What you might want to do to see if it could work would be to take the boat out on a warm day close to shore and try sitting up higher. Find a way to add height under your seat to match what a boat seat would do, and see how it does. Sit on a phone book (anyone still have one) or a stack of newspaper or the like. Do you legs fit in? Can you stay upright?

If you cant find something to sit on, try sitting on thee back deck behind your seat. That will give you an extreme feel for the balance.

I fear that if your discomfort is such that you need a boat seat, the Tsunami won’t be the boat for you.

You might ant to describe the discomfort you are feeling, and perhaps we have some ideas for adjustments that might work with that boat, or what to look for in your (non-SOT) next boat.

1 Like

Do you have the adjustable seat back or are you using the standard back band in your Tsunami? If you’re just using the back band, get the adjustable back. It isn’t hard to install at all and offers a lot of back support. For under you, like Peter-CA said, increasing your seated height will make the boat less stable and more prone to capsizing. If you had to you could get an air or foam cusion pad, but I wouldn’t suggest one more than a half inch thick. Also, if your legs are out straight in front of you, it could also add to discomfort in your back. Try adjusting your foot pegs back or cut a piece of a pool noodle to keep under your knees to provide a bit of bend.

3 Likes