Has anyone used this in canoe?

-- Last Updated: Nov-18-04 8:06 PM EST --

My wife wants to get me a Bottomline fishin buddy finder 2201 for Christmas. I'll be using it in a canoe,mostly on lakes and occasionally on a river. Has anyone used one of these? if so what do you think of them. I like the idea of being able to se structure.

Must have Subject!
I have one of the originals. It works. Even spots shrimp.

Bottomline Fish Locator

– Last Updated: Nov-19-04 1:31 PM EST –

I had the Bottomline Fishing Buddy Fish Locator (I am not familiar with the 2201). I used it for 5-6 years on wilderness trips in the BWCAW/Quetico, but it always wobbled badly whenever the canoe was moving any faster that a very slow pace. I now have the Vexilar Fish Locator, Boundry Waters model, and i am very happy with it. I have the transducer mounted inside and can "shoot" through the hull. The whole thing, with batteries, only weighs 2.5 lbs, but it is on the pricey side.
Dave

Bottom Line Fishin Buddy
I use an 1101 fishing buddy on my 14’ Indian River Canoe. It works well. I only wish I would have gotten the one with side finding. This would help since I fish south florida canals that are lined with cover on both sides. I have to remove it from the mount when moving faster than #1 on my trolling motor. All I have to do is pull it out, the mount stays clamped to the canoe. Then again if I’m moving any faster, I’m not fishing.

Fishing buddy
I don’t have one, but I do use a Humminbird Smartcast. I tie the transducer to a cord attached to a thwart. Shows structure and fish pretty well. Last winter when we couldn’t find fish to save our lives the Smartcast revealed them to us at the base of a rock wall in 30’-40’ of water. Good fishing ensued for the rest of the day. Any fish finder is better than none.