Hatch cover options

-- Last Updated: Jun-18-08 1:44 PM EST --

Question about hatch covers. On one of my boats the day hatch cover and opening edge are rased entirely above the deck. May be 3/4 of an inch if not a full inch. No resessed area at all.
The deck is fiberglass.

Only problem with this is that it sticks-up and pokes my back a little in lay-back rolls to the left. Not sure how many of these I would be doing (probably very few) so may be it does not matter much in practice, but just wondering what are the options of changing this cover to be flush with the rear deck and still have a day hatch. The other two hatches are flush, but this one for some reason is not...

Second question (unrelated). The same boat has a small fourth hatch or more precisely, a bottle holder type of opening by the day hatch behind the cockpit. This does not have a cover and fills-up with water from rain during transportation or from waves on the water. The diameter is about 3-4" and is about 6-7" deep. I use it as a bottle holder currently as a 16-20 Oz bottle fits nicely in it. Is this its intended purpose though? Are there any distributors of rubber covers that would go *inside* it so that I can cover it (rather than outside like regular hatch covers do)? What else can I use this for?

Thanks!

Interesting
I have not seen a recessed drink holder in a boat. Brand?

You might make a plug out of minicell to fill the well for travel. Check at a hardware store and you might find plastic low pressure “test plugs” designed to expand inside a pipe. There might be one size that fits your well.

Jim

Day hatch and what boat
I suspect that the day hatch is raised so that it’s easier to access, and that it’d be very difficult to find a different cover that would be both flatter and relaibly secure. You may just need to learn a more forward finishing roll on that side if it bothers you too much. Or wear a thicker top?

But what would help more is knowing what make and model of boat this is.

Avoid layback rolls?

Unless you are doing the Greenland “rolling for rolling’s sake”, it’s not like one needs to lay on the back deck to do a roll.

That is, one option would be to change your roll.

Hmmmm…
“Second question (unrelated). The same boat has a small fourth hatch or more precisely, a bottle holder type of opening by the day hatch behind the cockpit. This does not have a cover and fills-up with water from rain during transportation or from waves on the water. The diameter is about 3-4” and is about 6-7" deep. I use it as a bottle holder currently as a 16-20 Oz bottle fits nicely in it. Is this its intended purpose though? Are there any distributors of rubber covers that would go inside it so that I can cover it (rather than outside like regular hatch covers do)? What else can I use this for?"

Is it…

A fishing rod holder???