Hatch covers - Loss prevention

Hi folks, I just bought a used Necky Zoar Sport with the heavy rubber hatch covers, then the large rubber band thingy that goes over that. I’m not familiar with these, and how tight they are for traveling. I’ve built wood kayaks, and usually have inside keeper lines on the hatch covers to minimize losing them in transit or on the water. Losing a custom cedar strip hatch cover can be pretty tramatic! LOL

Those of you with these type of rubber covers, do you do anything extra for travel? I simply removed them this weekend and kept in the truck, but that won’t do for wet weather travel. The covers have small holes on the lip, and the rubber band has a grab loop too. Should I put tethers on these? Temporary/Permanent? Thanks!

Improvise some tethers. Maybe Necky
thought that newer style of hatch cover would be less likely to get lost, but I believe in Murphy’s Laws. I have an old Necky Looksha Sport and it has neoprene hatch seals backed up by plastic covers with strap hold-downs and backed up by tethers. Is there a chance that the first owner of your Zoar removed tethers?

Remove them
I often remove them for travel. Since the boat rests upside down on most racks I’ve never had a problem with wetness. I’f I had J cradles I’d put tethers on them.

upside down racks?
Frank that interesting. I’ve yet to any anyone carry a sea kayak upside down, but I guess with the soft cradles, it certainly could be done.

Thx for the replies, I’ll figure out something soon.

carrying kayaks upside down
mnormand, I saw an instructor leave a symposium with 2 kayaks upside down on foam cradles atop his car. So it’s done – just not common.

I have two Wilderness Systems model
boats with rubber hatches. I wrap a bungee cord around the hatches when traveling on the highway. I’ve never had problems with the hatches driving locally, but be careful in the summer on hot days. Pressure will build up in the compartment and expand the hatches enough that they could pop off with little provocation.

Second the Upside Down
When we carried our kayaks on the roof, we always loaded them upside down.

We have a Rack & Roll trailer now, so they go right-side up with cockpit covers to keep water out.

Bill G.

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Always travel deckside down
when I’m going any distance or speed. Always remove the hatch covers (VCP). For convenience, if only going a short distance, I’ll carry bottom side down, unless I expect rain. Try to keep the padded cross bars under the bulkheads as much as possible. There are many reasons I prefer a deck side down carry. Having the kayak in constant view being one of them. A simple bicycle cable lock wrapped around the seat to the rack deters theft somewhat.

I added straps
with buckles to hold the cover in place.

But I also take them off and shove them inside where they are safe.

Of course, we have little rain in Arizona so I rarely fear filling my boats with rainwater.

Perimeter lines
I put a small bungie on the perimeter lines so they cover the hatch. Simple fix. I’ve lost one Kajaksport hatch cover because I forgot to seat it properly.

Look at my perimeter lines just to the right of the paddle blade.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2406663690041263145JqbiGi

Andy

My Solution
Bungees hooked across the cover to the guidelines.