Have I placed my kayak on my J-Rack properly?

Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions. I had another friend recommend the underhood straps. I got a set on amazon. The Thule straps and they prevent the cables from touching any of my paint. It’s fantastic now. That was my number one complaint beforehand. Before I was using a foam pad with even more cables… It’s a lot better now.

I will also probably pick up a red safety flag and a cover for the cockpit eventually.

Those racks are spaced the minimum suggested distance from 1 of the documents I was reading - I think for the j-rack itself. I think the Thule instructions for the car mount/rack mentioned spacing them that far apart, so I went with it. I agree. I kinda thought they might be better a little further apart as well. I was concerned if I moved them much further apart, the fittings wouldn’t line up the with the edge of the car as well where there is an indentation (I didn’t explain that well), but after the door, the is a raised piece of metal and then it gets lower.

Anyway thanks again! I thought I’d follow back up. It’s much better now and I don’t have to be concerned about wearing the paint off.

It’s strange how once you start hauling kayaks you have an entirely different perspective on what you’ll choose as your next vehicle.

I currently have a Santa Fe. It’s not bad but every time I look at a car now my eye is drawn to the roofline. My next vehicle will have a roof that is as flat as possible!

@atpatter said:
Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions. I had another friend recommend the underhood straps. I got a set on amazon. The Thule straps and they prevent the cables from touching any of my paint. It’s fantastic now. That was my number one complaint beforehand. Before I was using a foam pad with even more cables… It’s a lot better now.

I will also probably pick up a red safety flag and a cover for the cockpit eventually.

Those racks are spaced the minimum suggested distance from 1 of the documents I was reading - I think for the j-rack itself. I think the Thule instructions for the car mount/rack mentioned spacing them that far apart, so I went with it. I agree. I kinda thought they might be better a little further apart as well. I was concerned if I moved them much further apart, the fittings wouldn’t line up the with the edge of the car as well where there is an indentation (I didn’t explain that well), but after the door, the is a raised piece of metal and then it gets lower.

Anyway thanks again! I thought I’d follow back up. It’s much better now and I don’t have to be concerned about wearing the paint off.

Thanks for letting us know.