have wrong kayak, help with right one

If you can
I recommend Q700X by Qcc. I am just about the same size, 6’1" with 32" waist and size 11 1/2 shoe. It fits me just fine. You may be able to find someone near you with one you could try. They are pretty stable too, higher volume, and very fast. Kinda slow to turn, but mine has a rudder and I use it. As stated earlier, Necky might be an option. I didn’t like mine though, thats why I got the Qcc. Sometimes the “try before you buy” isn’t really an option, so you just have to hunt around and try to make the most informed decision you can. Read the reviews on the Mfg. pages, if they have them, and the reviews here. I guess things like stability and fit are subjective, so this is just my 2 cents.

sea kayak georgia
You’re only 2.5 hours from Sea Kayak Georgia, which is apparently a great outfitter and training center. It may be worth taking a trip up there to try some boats and get good advice. http://www.seakayakgeorgia.com/

Second that.

– Last Updated: Apr-03-09 6:33 PM EST –

I took an IDW from Ronnie Kemp of Sea Kayak Georgia and it was excellent. They also carry several lines of kayaks.

I agree
give it some time, keep improving your skills, and, of course, be safe…

Join a club
Spend your money on joining a club or getting some lessons from someone who does not sell boats as well. From your description it sounds like you boat could be fitting you just right if you take off the shoes.

I think the boat fit may not be a size issue but a skill issue. The folks I know that started out in advanced boats instead of beginner/rec boats had a steep learning curve the first 10 or 20 paddles but they became advanced paddlers very quickly.

A canoe is great for a dog but you and the dog are going to have a tough time in any kind of wind. You and you dog might want to try a large sit on top as well as a canoe.

what do you want?
I got a Tsunami 140 as my first boat last year. It’s a great boat: stable and not horribly slow and I fit in it great at 6’3" with size 15 feet. I think you’d find it comfortable to paddle for hours.

If you want leisurely paddles, this is a great boat. You could even go camping for a day or two with it. But if you want to advance your skills and learn edging, rolling, rescues, etc. then you should keep your boat and work on the skills until you’re comfortable.

I’m trying to get a more seaworthy boat this year. With a little forethought you can avoid my mistake!

I’ve always wanted an Eddyline Phoenix!
Got one to sell for cheap? :wink:

what angstrom says about the deep V hull
is the problem. I used to have a Merlin XL and the “V” was so pronounced I couldn’t mount it in the rack; the V was so deep it reached the stretcher bars before the rest of the boat reached the kayak rack. When you put it on the ground it laid on its side. It can be pretty unnerving at first, but like a lot of other designs in which the primary seems unstable, the secondary is incredible. Here’s an exercise I did with my Merlin that may help. Set it on the grass, get in, and let it heel over to where it wants to go. Get comfortable in that position, that’s the natural extent to which it wants to edge. In other words, the boat will develope a sudden kick of stability when it reaches that degree of edge. You just have to get comfortable putting it that far on edge.

Eddyline
I have an eddyline nighthwawk that I thought was a good fit when I bought it. Now I need to add padding to fill in the cockpit and give me more support in rolling. If you are really worried about doing a wet exit, don’t be. Go practice your wet exits and you will be surprised how easily you “pop” out. Give the kayak a second chance, you might like it. But if you don’t, try every kayak you can get your hands on!

Kathy

Fitting
I just bought an Old Town Dirigo 140, mainly so I can take my granddaughter with me… it has a small jump seat.

It is very roomy. I’m 6 foot… 210 lbs (trying to loose), size 11 to 12 shoe with 33 to 34 inseam. I did my first ever dock launch the second time I used it and was able to get in and out withou an issue.

Big guys in big boats…

– Last Updated: Apr-04-09 10:31 PM EST –

My husband is 6'5", 200lbs with a 36" inseam and waist and size 13 shoes. Finding him a sea kayak wasn't easy. We chose the Prijon Touryak because he fit in it well and it's a very high quality strong, poly boat.

http://www.wildnet.com/tour.asp?name=Touryak

He still has to paddle in waterproof socks because full soled shoes make it hard for him to work the rudder and aren't all that comfortable. He wears sandals or boat shoes until he's in then pulls off the shoes and wears the socks. In the summer he plans to paddle barefoot. Otherwise the boat fits him nicely. It's very roomy.

You might want to work on positioning yourself first with the boat outside the water. You could be sitting in it wrong. You don't sit in a kayak with your legs straight out in front of you. A lot of beginners assume this to be so. My husband did and when I showed him how to sit properly and brace himself it worked well for him on the water. Now he finds his Prijon quite comfortable. You can also brace yourself with pads and foaming.

I'd find a dealer that sells these boats and see if you can get some helpful hints about fitting in it. If you still aren't comfortable then sell it and look for something else but try before you buy!

We are now looking for a shorter rec boat now for him for paddling in small streams and rivers and fishing. It's actually easier because of the rec boats have a larger cockpit and no front bulkhead. He has decided on the Native Watercraft Marvel 12. They have a 14.5 foot version you might want to check out. They are extremely comfortable and roomy but be aware that they aren't a sea kayak. Definitely a rec boat.

http://www.shopgetoutdoors.com/boats/rec_kayaks/marvel145.html

Doesn't sound like you'd have a hard time selling your old one if it doesn't work out. ;) Don't keep something you hate but give it your best shot before moving on. Eddlyline makes a great kayak but if you don't like it, you don't like it. Kayaks are like shoes that way..They need to fit and be comfortable.

thanks for the posts…
i’ve been reading through everything. certainly i could benefit from some lessons, and practice. i need to find a better place to launch from too. i dropped in at a local pond (not the kind you’d want to fall into)

i’d really like to see how a nighthawk 17.5 fits. seems only slightly bigger by the numbers. I don’t see how that could be too big. i’ll try out some of the other suggestions too

what i was hoping for was something comfortable enough for longer paddles that could cruise at a fair pace. with some effeciency,glide…ya know? i don’t necessarily need a sea kayak to do that. i’d like to be able to relax and float sometimes too. can’t do that when i cant move and its wobbling the whole time. i tried to find a sweet-spot, so to speak, while in the flat pond. i wanted to just float stabily to try to get comfortable in it but just couldn’t control the tipping. I do carry a lot of weight up top. a slimmer,shorter person would prob find this more stable sitting still.

will keep taking it out to work on it though. the bulkheads were solid white btw.

I had a Nighthawk 17.5
A very shallow “v” hull, very stable, very forgiving. If it were too big you could always outfit the boat. I think you’d like it. Sold mine but have always been ambivalent about the sale. A good tripping boat.

Still lots of options out there
including the Pungo 14, a Tsunami 145, or a longer SOT like the Manta Ray 14.6 or even a Kaskazi Skua which is a light, fast SOT. The Tarpon 160 is also fast, but a heavy boat. If you are looking more into sea kayaks the Assateague or something along those lines…

jim

The Nighthawk 17.5 was my first real
sea kayak and I loved it. I really like Eddyline products. I am 6’3" 245lbs. and size 13 feet. Once my skills progressed, I felt as though I was swimming in the boat. The back deck was also too high for what I wanted to do with rolling. If your plans do not include paddling in conditions that require solid contact and proper volume for more challenging conditions (surfing, confused seas, clapotis), and learning a range of rolls, you may find the 17.5 to be very comfortable. I would love to paddle my 17.5 again, but I usually sell one to buy one and it needed to go. I have heard that Eddyline may be coming out with a Fathom that has a low back deck, if this is the case, sign me up!!

Eddyline V hulls
I agree with the poster that said the Eddylines have a pronounced V in the hull. Bought an Eddyline Merlin XT that I didn’t try first. If I had, I never would have bought this kayak. Cockpit wayyyyy too small, for 6’4" frame. It was paddleable, but very tippy when stopped. Taller paddlers should stay away from these kinds of boats, as we (men) are more top heavy and carry more weight above the hips than below. This thing was like walking a tightrope the entire time. Luckily I sold it the next year for more than I bought it for. Not sure on the specs for the Phoenix, but I would steer clear of the Merlin’s, too.

Phoenix
I am 6’4" 210-230lbs with 11.5 WWW feet and own a Phoenix, Touryak, P&H Quest, Fathom, and Q700X.

IMHO:

The Phoenix has been discontinued. The Phoenix is the most stable and maneuverable of any of these boats by far. I use it for swim support. It has awesome secondary stability and good primary. I modified the Phoenix seat so it would fit, raised the thigh braces a bit, and the foot pegs are at the end. It is great in winding mangroves and windy steep shallow water chop with breaking waves. It is not as fast as my other boats. The energy drain after a 10-20 mile paddle is significant compared to the Fathom, Quest, and Q700X. I have paddled the Phoenix on the central Florida Gulf coast and in land. It is great. It sounds like you are looking for a 24+ wide boat. The Touryak cockpit is very comfortable with a nice keyhole cockpit. The Prijon Kodiak, Venture, and P&H EASKY are boats you shoud look at if you want a sea kayak and not a recreation kayak. You did not state your growth potential…

JimZ

Touryak…
My 6’5" husband weighs 200lbs and has a 36" inseam and fits nicely in a Prijon Touryak. It’s one of the few sea kayaks he fit into. Only problem is his size 13 feet don’t fit well with shoes so he wears Chota booties or goes barefoot while paddling. He can work the rudder fine though. This boat has tons of room (for a sea kayak) and is very comfortable.