I have started using kayaking as a workout a few times per week. I paddle hard upstream for an hour then turn and paddle back. After a few weeks it has become clear that none of my boats are well suited for this. I have a tsunami 175 which is way too long to handle well going up stream without getting turned by the current. My other boat is an old towne vapor 10 rec boat which is the right size to handle the upstream paddling (10-14ft seems to be the sweet spot) but is too slow to get through some of the higher current areas.
I was hoping that the vast experience on here might be able to point me to a boat that will fit the bill. The bullet points that I am trying to hit are below.
- 300lbs capacity. I wheigh 250 and the river shallows up pretty good so I need something that will ride high in the water. This has been the big limiting factor.
- fast. I need good speed to overcome some of the higher current areas.
- agile. It needs to be able to turn well and not get turned easily by the current.
- touring style cockpit. I need a boat that I can lock into and control with my lower half.
- reasonably priced. I don’t mind paying for a boat that suits my need but I don’t want to break the bank.