Having trouble finding the right yak. Suggestions?

I have started using kayaking as a workout a few times per week. I paddle hard upstream for an hour then turn and paddle back. After a few weeks it has become clear that none of my boats are well suited for this. I have a tsunami 175 which is way too long to handle well going up stream without getting turned by the current. My other boat is an old towne vapor 10 rec boat which is the right size to handle the upstream paddling (10-14ft seems to be the sweet spot) but is too slow to get through some of the higher current areas.

I was hoping that the vast experience on here might be able to point me to a boat that will fit the bill. The bullet points that I am trying to hit are below.

• 300lbs capacity. I wheigh 250 and the river shallows up pretty good so I need something that will ride high in the water. This has been the big limiting factor.
  • fast. I need good speed to overcome some of the higher current areas.
  • agile. It needs to be able to turn well and not get turned easily by the current.
  • touring style cockpit. I need a boat that I can lock into and control with my lower half.
  • reasonably priced. I don’t mind paying for a boat that suits my need but I don’t want to break the bank.

To be honest, your Tsunami is probably a reasonable tool for the job. The river is trying to teach you lessons on the interaction between current, your hull, and your paddle - as well as with you. My recommendation would be to slow down and focus on the relationship of your hull to the current that you are in. Get so that you react to a change before you notice the change. When you are “spun” you may have let the bow fall off of the local current without providing correction and/or have built up an asymmetrical bow wave that will also push you off line and “spin”.

The fast and agile are generally conflicting virtues in a kayak. A fast kayak isn’t agile, and an agile kayak isn’t fast.

Perhaps a boat between the two of yours would work, something like a Dagger Alchemy 14.0L or Dagger Stratos L.

@rival51 said:
To be honest, your Tsunami is probably a reasonable tool for the job. The river is trying to teach you lessons on the interaction between current, your hull, and your paddle - as well as with you. My recommendation would be to slow down and focus on the relationship of your hull to the current that you are in. Get so that you react to a change before you notice the change. When you are “spun” you may have let the bow fall off of the local current without providing correction and/or have built up an asymmetrical bow wave that will also push you off line and “spin”.

I am starting to agree with this. I just got in from the water and I think it is more doable than I initially thought. My only worry is that if the big boy boat starts to get turned in some of the higher current areas I won’t be able to recover. That damned thing does not like turning.

This morning I made a point of trying to find lines that will work best with the tsunami. After a few weeks of running this section of water I think I know the river well enough to plot my way through.

@Peter-CA said:
The fast and agile are generally conflicting virtues in a kayak. A fast kayak isn’t agile, and an agile kayak isn’t fast.

Perhaps a boat between the two of yours would work, something like a Dagger Alchemy 14.0L or Dagger Stratos L.

That’s a good point. I guess by agile I mean “doesn’t handle like a school buss” haha. I was looking at a few daggers that are for sale in the area and I am just too big for them.

The Alchemy has a max capacity listed at 300 lbs. The Stratos at 315 lbs. I’ve edged up to the 220 pound range lately, and have one of each and they work fine for me, even when loaded with camping gear.

But of course, the more the capacity of the boat as compared to your weight, the less it will sink down into the water. So a larger boat may do better on those shallows/ Larger boats usually come as added boat length, which then make it less likely to maneuver well. Everything is a trade off.

<<. My only worry is that if the big boy boat starts to get turned in some of the higher current areas I won’t be able to recover. That damned thing does not like turning.>>

Well, sometimes you have to let the river have its way. Switch from trying to climb/correct to encouraging the spin. Just be sure watch your edges & keep showing your bottom to the current.