Heading to Cali...Need Suggestions

Hey Folks,
I am heading out to California for about a week at the end of Feb. I’ll have five days in the Anaheim area by myself while my wife is doing the “business thing,” and then we’ll be heading up the coast to the Monterey area for two days (those will go fast). I’m looking for ideas in both places for kayak rentals, places to paddle, and guides. I’ll be concentrating on the naturalist/photography aspect of paddling. Also looking forward to visiting Cannery Row and Ed Ricketts WLR as Steinbeck is a bit of a hero to me.
Thanks all!

In Monterey, you have Monterey Bay Kayaks for rentals to paddle out along Cannery Row. There are some other rental places, but this one has the best gear and also has a retail store if you want to shop for other gear.

Worth a trip would be to go to Moss Landing/Elkhorn Slough, which is at the center of the bay (about half way between Monterey and Santa Cruz. Lots of wildlife to be seen - you will see sea otters, seals, and sea lions before you even launch. Monterey Bay Kayaks and Kayak Connection are the two rental sites there, and both are good.

On drive up, if time allows, you may want to paddle at Seal Beach or Avilla Beach (both just south of San Luis Obispo). Central Coast Kayaks and Avilla Beach Paddlesports both do cave tours that are quite fun.

Can’t help as much with SoCal.

You might get lucky with gray whales. The migration north will be just starting for males and non-breeding females. Might be worth a whale watch tour (on boat, not kayak) while you are in Anaheim. Or in Monterey, but there you are likely looking for humpbacks that didn’t migrate for the winter (should be some around - but not as good as during summer).

When you’re in Anaheim, you’re not far from Newport Beach. The back part of the bay there is a wildlife sanctuary with good opportunities for bird watching. The front part of the bay is a different world - mansions, yachts, & waterfront dining. Monterey is awesome. Launch from the beach by Monterey Bay Kayaks & paddle left (southwest) through the wharf area and contour along the rocky shore. You’ll pass the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Lovers’ Point Park is a good turnaround, or round Point Pinos and continue, which then becomes more exposed ocean paddling. You’ll likely see sea otters galore, harbor seals and sea lions. Out in the open bay there’s the opportunity for whale watching of humpbacks, orcas, or grays during their migration. If you do any sightseeing on land, the Point Pinos Lighthouse is a pretty scenic & cool historical spot. Admission to the aquarium is a bit pricey, but it’s a good time & goes to a good cause. Cannery Row is quite touristy but definitely worth a stroll for Steinbeck fans. Ricketts’ lab is usually closed, but is open for tours on occasion. From Monterey you can drive about a half hour north to Elkhorn Slough, a great spot for birding & sea otter sighting. Park in the lot at Monterey Bay Kayaks satellite shop. About 5 minutes south of there, The Whole Enchilada has pretty good Mexican food for an after paddle lunch.

@jbear said:
Hey Folks,
I am heading out to California for about a week at the end of Feb. I’ll have five days in the Anaheim area by myself while my wife is doing the “business thing,” and then we’ll be heading up the coast to the Monterey area for two days (those will go fast). I’m looking for ideas in both places for kayak rentals, places to paddle, and guides. I’ll be concentrating on the naturalist/photography aspect of paddling. Also looking forward to visiting Cannery Row and Ed Ricketts WLR as Steinbeck is a bit of a hero to me.
Thanks all!

Likewise a fan of Steinbeck. Was at Monterey Bay (Asilomar Conference Center) for week back last fall. Took a trip to walk Cannery Row and check out the Aquarium. Have to say, while ruminating on the Steinbeck’s work, it was a bit of dissonance to see what a tourist trap Cannery Row has become. (But the whole of Monterey Bay is not what it was when Steinbeck was writing. However the plight of the working class laborers continues.)

sing

If you go into Elkhorn Slough, pick a time when you don’t need to fight the ebbing tide. There is (or was) a kayak rental place just north of the slough.

The main thing I remember about Monterey was the mosquitoes. So be prepared.

Thanks so much for the information. That’s really helpful stuff!

A little song about what Monterrey has become …
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CboHFTXKJDM

I’d second paddling on the Elkhorn Slough … I’ve rented from Kayak Connection before not sure if they are any better or worse than the other shop.

If you have time and a vehicle you might consider coming down to Lajolla and renting a kayak on Avenida De La Playa or taking lessons from Aqua-adventures if you want to get out on the open coast in a safe controlled manner.