Heart rate monitor suggestions.

The good the bad and the ugly about them. Something I could monitor as I paddle real time. Something durable and comfortable. I see on endomundo site owned by under armour now one straps around your chest. Not sure how comfortable that would be. Partner had a Fitbit thing and she said it was a real piece of junk and didn’t work properly and didn’t last long. If I drop dead out there paddling I like her to see the results. LOL thanks

I see chest strap mount and wrist mount. I guess wrist is bad especially in winter with a drysuit it would not be usable.

Chest straps are much more accurate than wrist. I use this Garmin strap: https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-10997-00-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B000UOD5QM with my Forerunner 310XT. It’s comfortable enough to wear for a couple of hours while training on the water but I rarely wear it when I plan to paddle all day. Use the Forerunner alone to monitor speed, time and distance.

The Garmin HRM uses ANT+ so it communicates with my erg and shows my HR on the monitor.

If you’re keen on training, whether for paddling or good health, Google the benefits of an indoor rower (if you don’t already have an erg).

Qruiser likes her Garmin runners watch. It will track heart rate from a chest strap and also map the paddle. I used a Fit bit for a while. I won one as a door prize. It would show heart rate and also track the paddle. However the battery would often go dead at the worst time. We found that the wrist pick ups were not as accurate as the chest strap as noted earlier. We tested it on exercise machine matching and comparing with BP cuff machine and tactile pulse taking. This is likely both a mechanical instrument error plus human physiology. It seems that paramedics and nurse wife report that blood pressure and pulse are more accurately taken close to the heart. Paramedics once told me that BP is less farthest from the heart and more dependent upon circulation conditions.

I converted to old school. I have a analog watch that tells the time. I know when my heart rate is high by the flutter and the huffing and puffing.

Stainless Steel Apple Watch. Works with ismoothrun and other apps.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

I’ve only ever used a couple of Garmin models, initially a Vivofit that I replaced with a Vivosmart HR Plus. I just use mine for exercising; I’m not really interested in its step counting, sleep tracking, stair climbing and many other features.

The first one used a chest band to record heart rate, while the current one reads it off my wrist. Now I know that most reports claim that chest straps are more accurate than wrist monitors, but for my use - mostly in keeping my HR at about 85% of max when I run - any difference is insignificant and the wrist monitor is much more convenient and comfortable. The HR+ gives me a Bluetooth connection to my phone - it picks up phone calls, texts and emails - and uses GPS to map my run or paddle. The HR+ is rechargeable via a USB port and a full charge lasts about a week but considerably less if I’m using GPS features.

The big downside to the wristband types is the relatively small LCD screen which is also hard to read in bright sun. But that’s the trade off for it being small and less clumsy than something like my large scuba watch.

I use a Garmin Fenix 3 watch. I mostly bought it for the navigation features and the easy access to track recording (when the phone is stowed away).

When I use it for recording HRM, I use a chest strap which is not really bothering me under the drysuit. But I have once experienced absorbing so much sweat in my wool top under the drysuit that the chest strap stopped transmitting my heart rate.

@Allan Olesen said:
I use a Garmin Fenix 3 watch. I mostly bought it for the navigation features and the easy access to track recording (when the phone is stowed away).

When I use it for recording HRM, I use a chest strap which is not really bothering me under the drysuit. But I have once experienced absorbing so much sweat in my wool top under the drysuit that the chest strap stopped transmitting my heart rate.

Chest straps will stop transmitting if the skin next to them is too dry to make a good electrical contact. When I used one I always put a little dab of electrode gel on my chest, but it’s a little messy and inconvenient to use.

@Allan Olesen said:

Bet you thought you were dead! Lol

@kfbrady said:
Chest straps will stop transmitting if the skin next to them is too dry to make a good electrical contact.
I know. And if you read what I wrote, you will see that my problem was the exact opposite: Everything was too wet.

Then I misunderstood you. I assumed from what you wrote - "absorbing so much sweat in my wool top under the drysuit " - that the sweat was being absorbed by the wool.

Whatever. Too much, or too little moisture and the sensors won’t pick up the heart rhythms.

Inquiring mind; seeking understanding…

Why does a paddler who does NOT have a heart condition, feel it’s necessary to wear a chest strap/heart monitor? Other than to know their heart rate, which is obvious.
Seems like an unnecessary piece of gadgetry to be wearing?

Correct me if I’m wrong; your heart rate will rise when you exert yourself. If you want to lower your heart rate, you need to lower the amount of exertion. Seems like the solution for someone with a healthy heart, who is concerned about their heart rate, is to simply slow down…

BOB

@thebob.com said:

Why does a paddler who does NOT have a heart condition, feel it’s necessary to wear a chest strap/heart monitor? Other than to know their heart rate, which is obvious.

Correct me if I’m wrong; your heart rate will rise when you exert yourself. If you want to lower your heart rate, you need to lower the amount of exertion. Seems like the solution for someone with a healthy heart, who is concerned about their heart rate, is to simply slow down…

BOB

How would I measure it paddling in a sprint to exhaustion paddle or cruising paddle? Same reason I want to know how fast I can go max. or cruise for and hour or an entire trip.

Inquiring mind looking to kill the cat.

BOB
If you want to be a stronger paddler you need to train. In order to train you need to use your heart rate. When you monitor your HR you can learn your max HR, when you have your max HR you can set your training zones. When you have training zones you can now train.

The Apple watch price is above my curiosity.

@thebob.com said:
Why do a person who exercises by running or bicycling use a heart rate monitor to optimize their training?

Why shouldn’t a person who exercises by kayaking?

@thebob.com said:

It’s all about training to build cardio endurance and VO2 . Your heart rate rises anytime you do physical activity and drops when you stop. When training, the last thing you want to do is slow down if you’re working in your aerobic zone.

Aerobic training is done in the HR zone of 65-80% of MHR. Anaerobic training is done above 80%. Long slow distance training is done not just for five or ten minutes, but an hour or two. Only way to know what zone you’re in is by knowing your MHR, wearing a heart rate monitor, and having a device that gives you a read out.

I train using a HR monitor not just to be a stronger paddler, but for the overall health benefits because I don’t want any prescription drugs, medical appointments, or assisted living in my future. :relaxed:

Check out this article from the Mayo Clinic on aerobic exercise: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/aerobic-exercise/art-20045541?pg=2

Bmach1; thanks for a simple, informative answer to a very simple question.

BOB