Heat damage

Curious what kind of heat damage people have seen with glass covered styrene foam boards

The sun will destroy everything given the time. Store your SUP indoors.

@LeeG said:
Curious what kind of heat damage people have seen with glass covered styrene foam boards

@LeeG said:

Last winter we had two of them on racks in the Florida Keys, (hot sun -temp in the 80’s ) for six months with no damage at all. They are Bic boards

Jack L

Boyle’s law huh? You might want to edit that part. :slight_smile:

I wonder how much increase in pressure it would take to cause damage in this case. And since the change in pressure is surely quite small, I wonder if the Gore-tex vents are more to let leaked-in water escape than for pressure regulation (who would want their board to get heavier as a result of hairline cracks?), but for now, that’s only something I think would be worth checking, if I cared enough. I think applying the proper equation (not Boyle’s law of course) might show that the pressure increase really must be pretty small, but I have no time right now.

Hey Guideboat guy when you are looking up whether it is Charles Law or Boyles law , check out foam outgasing temperatures, I’m sure you can write us a dissertation on composite SUP delamination.

Sorry you took the thing about name-dropping the wrong formula so badly that you felt compelled to delete your post. For what it’s worth, the one you want is Gay-Lussac’s law (and I didn’t know that off the top of my head, but I did know that the other two you quoted don’t apply because they don’t specify constant volume).

As I said, I wondered how much pressure it takes to cause a problem in this case. So just now, I ran an example calculation where the temperature inside a vessel of fixed volume changed from 50 degrees to 200 degrees F, and the pressure increase was barely more than you’d get if you installed an inlet port and blew into it as hard as you could. I suppose the outer skin could come loose from the foam core in that case if the bond is weak, which might be the case if the foam has virtually no tensile strength. I suspect the potential for shipping boards by airplane would be a big concern too, as that would have the same effect as increasing the inside pressure, but much more so than you’d ever get from heating.

It is important to cover things to prevent sun damage. If we could place them indoor, then it would be good to prevent foam damage.

Based on 52 years experience with surfboard tech, I expect that the results of sun/heat exposure will very much depend on the specific materials and manufacturing techniques used for a given board. Blank (foam) materials vary significantly in susceptibility to UV degradation, and resins also vary in terms of UV radiation blocked. Regarding the risk of heat-induced delamination, that depends on the resin, the cloth, the amount of catalyst relative to resin volume, and the techniques used for lamination (as well as the skill of the laminator, if hand lay-up.) As with most products, better results generally require higher investment by the manufacturer. Given that SUPs have greatly incerased in popularity and demand the past few years, I suspect these qualities are currently all over the map for different examples. I try to keep mine (VESL) out of direct sun as much as possible when in use, and keep in covered with a reflective tarp when stored at home. So far, so good…

@roanguy said:

@LeeG said:

@LeeG said:

Last winter we had two of them on racks in the Florida Keys, (hot sun -temp in the 80’s ) for six months with no damage at all. They are Bic boards

Jack L

I was told directly by Bic that their boards could be transported in the sun as long as the deck faces down.

@LeeG said:

I usually stored my Kayak on the Garage and also covered it up from the top, I think whatever you decided to do, if you left your kayak outside, it would fade down and it also experiences to just maintain it!