Height and foot size a factor in buying

-- Last Updated: Dec-19-06 2:13 PM EST --

I'm a thin 6'8" with size 16 feet. I have yet to buy my own kayak, but I'm looking for a quality recreational or day touring kayak that will accomindate both my height and my shoe size. Any suggestions? I'm also willing to consider a quality sit-on-top kayak. I plan on paddling protected water and rivers. Thanks for any advice.

wow
is your nickname ‘stretch’ or ‘beanpole’?? :wink:

there are alot of boats that will fit and alot that won’t. you may need to re-fit the footpegs, a simple, straightforward task, if you find a boat you like but the pegs are wrong.

SOT’s are a great compromise, as shoe/foot size isn’t a biggie.

what do you actually plan on doing with your new boat?

this will give us a clue as what to suggest.

steve

Why not go the way string went?
buy a good solo canoe and use a double bladed canoe paddle. He also had his seat lowered so his cnoe is rock steady.

Charlie

Contact Me!
I am 6’8" at 290 lbs with size 14’shoes. I fit comfortably into most Prijon Boats. www.wildnet.com . The boat that I do the majority of my paddling with is the Calabria. I live in Williamsport,PA so you are welcome to come up and try it out. Even better, I have access to the Prijon Demo fleet, so if you give me enough notice, we can pull the boats out and take them to the Susquehanna which is a 5 minute walk from the warehouse. I know you are not looking to do moving water, but I also have the Jackson SuperFun for my WW boat. It is exceptionally accomodating to big guys.

Shoot me an email and I will get you my contact info if you are interested in paddling or discussing the boats in greater detail. I have a significant amount of experience trying to stuff myself into any available boat and should be a good resource for you. :slight_smile:

MDM

Ok now I feel short
I’m a mere 6-4 size 12 man myself.

At 6-8, your center of gravity will be a fair bit higher than mine, and quite a bit higher than the average persons. What I have found from my experience and reading is that this extra height will make a boat feel tippier than for a shorter person. Which for me means I have to have more seat time in a boat to get over the tippyness than my wife.

So a good rec boat, with its extra width and larger cockpit is nice. The SOTs or canoes mentioned are also a very good idea. A transitional type boat with a large cockpit is Old Town’s Adventure XL boats. http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/recreation_touring/adventure_xl_139.html

In touring/sea kayaks, I’ve demoed a SEDA Viking Max. http://www.sedakayak.com/ I love this boat, very stabble for a big guy like me. This boat has an oversized cockpit, so I can lift up my knees to stretch while paddling. Which is something my wife just takes for granted. I know of no other sea kayak that has a cockpit large enough for your legs. Now, with your feet, it may be a little tight inside. Absolutely try out these boats before you buy.

Don

A Chesapeake would work
You will find quite a few Chesapeake stitch and glue boats on the market for reasonable prices. Builders like me often move on to lower volume boats and have them for sale. I’m 6’4" and size 13 feet, and fit into a Ch 17 with lots of room to spare. They make an 18 footer, also. You’d want the full-sized version, not the LT (lower deck). If well built, these boats are lighter and stronger than fiberglass boats, and a lot lighter than plastic. www.clcboats.com

Happy hunting, Alan

Albany, NY

Height and weight
Hey.If you’re looking into somewhat of a touring kayak you’ll probably find that most big people boats are built for big and heavy people, thus very high volume. My suggestion is something 12-14 feet long,24-27 inches wide, with a long but skirtable cockit, and no front bulkhead. You’ll probably have to reposition the footpegs(easy)

Something like a Dagger Blackwater,Prijon Capri Tour. Pungo 140 is pretty nice, decent speed, unflippable in flat water but the cockpit is enormously long(realistically unskirtable) so i wouldn’t.