Help deciding what kayak to get

Tinker toys, no
Properly sized, yes. I HAVE banged my knuckles paddling a boat too large for me. Note that I did not say too long for me. There’s a difference.

"because other things being equal"
the longer boat will be easier to paddle and be faster.

Sorta gotta repeat myself here today, don’t I ? (eyeroll…)

Bear
You’re not hearing me.

Yup

– Last Updated: Jul-20-15 5:14 PM EST –

The Huki surfski site(just as an example) has different skis for different paddler weights and conditions. The model for folks under 150lbs is 18' long. That does NOT mean that all small paddlers should have 18' boats.

Large or small, it is important to get the boat that fits you and what you want to do with it.

Length is just one of many factors determining the appropriate sized boat for a given paddler and type of paddling.

Your Lake Is Less Than One Square Mile
Speed means very little in such a small area. I’d recommend two SOTs in the 10’ to 12’ range. With the tailgate down you can carry them in the bed of most trucks. Buy what you best can afford and then go from there.

SOTs provide you with better sight seeing opportunities because they are more stable and you can sit sideways. You and your wife can face each other while enjoying the lake. SINKs are a boat more suited for elitists that prefer greater speed and distance.

Not quite
A longer hull has a higher theoretical maximim hull speed, based on wavemaking drag. It also has more surface area. At low speeds, the skin friction from the wettted surface dominates, making smaller boats easier to paddle at low speeds. As speed increases the drag curves cross and the longer boat becomes easier to paddle faster. To maximize the potential of the longer hull, you still have to have the “motor” to drive it.

A longer boat is not necessarily faster or easier to paddle if you are happy cruising at low speeds, or if the paddler is not strong.

“All else being equal” is hard to find because shorter boats tend to be wider to maintain equal volume and carry the same load.

Elitists…

– Last Updated: Jul-20-15 5:16 PM EST –

...Or those of us who live where the water is cold. :-)

SOT
I appreciate the replies, but my family will be predominantly using them so I’m going to buy what we want. We aren’t interested in the SOT type.

Perception Prodigy
What about a 12’ Perception Prodigy? It’s on sale for $679 at a local kayak shop. They recommended both the Prodigy and the Pungo. I’ll spend the $160 more if the Pungo is that much better but I’m not sure.

two major items
Follow angstrom’s advice and get your wife one of the boats he suggests, at least if you want a long term paddling partner.

As to a boat like the pungo, very nice boat for a calm lake and contained water. Useless if you want to use it as a stepping stone to learn skills for things like white water. So it sounds like it is a match, just be aware of the boats limitations.

Get as lightweight a paddle as you can afford. Your arms and wrists and shoulders will thank you for it.

Boat suggestions
Okay so I should get her a 12’ Perception Tribute, now what about for myself/son? Our lake is a big water ski lake so there will be a lot of waves and it does get pretty choppy at times. We wouldn’t go out when there are whitecaps but I can’t guarantee that it’s going to be smooth 100% of the time.

Pungo vs Prodigy

– Last Updated: Jul-20-15 10:08 PM EST –

Wilderness Systems, Prodigy, Prodigy Sport, Dagger, and a few other brands are all part of the same company now called Confluence Outdoor.

Wilderness Systems is their premium brand of kayaks. Well made, nice outfitting and comfortable seats.

Prodigy is the middle of the road brand.

Dagger is their whitewater brand.

Prodigy Sport is their discount big box store brand. Their are some good deals there as some of the kayaks are older well regarded models renamed but with much cheaper plastic and outfitting.

Not sure how you are defining better in comparing a 12 foot Pungo to a 12 foot Prodigy. As far as performance they are both similar rec kayaks with very large cockpits. Handling is probably very similar with the Prodigy being slightly narrower. My guess is the Prodigy might handle slightly better but that is based on nothing more than looking the stats and hull. The Pungo is going to have a nicer seat and outfitting, plus you get the kayak console to help fill out that huge cockpit. The Prodigy is going to have a more basic seat.

Pungos are insanely popular rec kayaks. I kind of think of them as the caddies of the rec kayaks. They are comfortable and nice looking but limited due to the large cockpit as you lose a lot of power from being able to lock in your thighs. Same is going to be true with the Prodigy.

I would also consider checking out the Perception Carolina 12/14 and Conduit 13. They are a bit sportier but still have a large cockpit and you can actually fit a spray skirt to them, if the wakes are so bad you have water going over your deck. That does require a bit more skill and training how to wet exit from skirted kayak or learning how to actually roll.

A lot of the recommendations for SOTS come from the fact that rec SINKS with big open cockpits can easily get swamped if their are waves. Not sure how bad your lake gets and waves can add some fun but if you are constantly getting slammed you need to consider that. With SOTS if a wave gets you or you flip, your kayak doesn't fill with water. With SINKS you need to consider dumping in the middle of the lake can be a problem. I am personally not a big fan of SOTS, I understand not wanting to go that route. Just spend the time learning how to deal with waves in a SINK, if they are that bad there.

Don't be this guy in Pungo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3WeXGmqYsE

Do you ever get the feeling
some people just have to learn things the hard way, by personal experience, around here ?

If I am in the water in my longish, yet light for its size SOT (designed by the sea kayaking people,btw, and MADE IN THE USA, and purchased from a kayak shop) and there are people in their little bitty short plastic rec boats, on a lake on a windy day (not that the wind blows in the Midwest, or anything) with not quite sober water skiers and ski doos and assorted speedboats, which one of us is going to be wasting all that effort turning their boat sideways to face waves again and again every time the power boat wake comes by, so they don’t get swamped ?

Carry on. Girls get the short boats… the long paddles are too hard… Lmao ! gaaaaaaaaahhh

You have no idea what I paddle
Quit making assumptions that just because I am a female who prefers to paddle something suitable for my size, that it is a short pink TinkerToy made in China. My SOT happens to be light, made in the USA, and designed by sea kayaking people, my canoe also made in the USA and purchased directly from the manufacturer, and my kayak, designed for my size, made in Canada. All are paddled efficiently with the properly sized paddles.

You remind me of the pharmacist (yes, a pharmacist) I once knew who claimed that menstrual cramps were a figment of my imagination. I quit having anything to do with him, too. Bye!

BearRiver, you are so right!
People do learn from experience, and from your comments, I would guess that you have not had much.

I’ve been on lakes and rivers with power boat wakes, jet ski wakes, and barge wakes, and have never come close to capsizing or taking on water in a 9.5 ft rec boat. Nor do I find it necessary to turn the bow into the wake every time.

The OP is asking for suggestions for kayaks to use on a lake that is less than a mile across. He won’t be transporting the kayaks, they’ll be there at his vacation home to use when conditions are right.

I also have a 12ft 9inch SOT, lightweight, made in the USA. For the small lake I prefer the Swifty. For the Gulf I prefer the SOT. For spring fed creeks and swamps I prefer my light weight (made in USA) kevlar/carbon canoe. The right boat for the situation.

While Wearing A Dry Suit
I’ve paddled my SOT down Salmon River while ice still lined the bank. I even got into the water to see how warm I’d stay.

With a SINK I’d say people are more likely to dress improperly for full immersion.

Sigh…

– Last Updated: Jul-21-15 9:41 AM EST –

I don't see anyone here discouraging smaller(female) paddlers from paddling a long, lightweight kayak, either SOT or SINK. I do see people recommending against boats that are too wide, too deep, or have too much volume for the paddler's size and weight.

My petite wife has a 14'low-volume kayak that fits her. I have a 16' medium-volume kayak that fits me. If we swapped boats we'd both be uncomfortable and slower. I know this because she used to have the same kayak that I do, and she was much happier -- and faster -- when she replaced it with here current boat.

A paddle that puts the blades farther from the boat does create more turning moment. That's how a sweep stroke works. Many folks have posted here about tracking problems that were corrected by a shorter paddle.

The point is to find the gear that fits you and what you want to do. The goal is to be safe, efficient, and comfortable on the water. What works for you may not be a good solution for someone else.

Water Temperature
I highly doubt we will use them after September when the water is 65 degrees at the very coldest. Currently our lake is around 80-82 degrees. Either way falling in isn’t going to be a big deal. I have to say in 35 years of living on a lake I’ve never seen a capsized kayak and most of the people on our lake have sit-in kayaks.

actual experience
My sister was banging her knuckles on her otter. I got her a paddle that was better balanced and a bit shorter. Now she likes paddling again.

A good friend decided she had to use a huge bladed paddle, the ones usually recommended for big guys. She is a very aggressive paddler and did very well in terms of her paddling for a season and a half. At the end of which she had her first shoulder done znd scheduled her second. Three years later she was able to paddle again, but using a gp to protect her shoulders.

The woman in this post is actually on the taller side and may have some head room a shorter person would lack on arm reach. But you are vamping on something about which you have no personal knowledge.

l am liking the super cheap idea
A couple of shorter sots that will just get you on the water and be easy to schlep and decide about anything more serious after a season with them. So something very basic in the 300 buck or less range, stay near shore with them and you will still find a use for them down the road for an occasional quick hop onto the lake on an evening.

Get good paddles ghough, as in lightweight. Heavy ones are so not fun.