Help deciding what kayak to get

WalMart sells them.
Looking at the specs, it doesn’t have even one sealed bulkhead.

Did you sit in it?

Aruba
Yeah the seat wasn’t as comfortable as the Pungo or others but it seemed fine for what I need. Is a bulkhead like dry storage? I would never use any of the storage anyways. I’ll only be doing short 2 hour max trips around our lake.

Sealed bulkheads
float your boat if you capsize.

Max had only one sealed bulkhead in his boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3WeXGmqYsE

This is incredible

– Last Updated: Jul-24-15 11:36 PM EST –

I'm just pointing out that misguided information about what makes a kayak fast, especially when put forth as gospel that applies regardless of the details, can lead to big mistakes in trying to choose the proper boat. My example was illustrating what others here have already said.

I could have made this more clear, but the "error" in interpreting hull-design criteria was made by the sales person who talked her into getting that boat. If you want to make interpretations beyond what was actually said, a proper interpretation would be that I'm judging the person who gave her the crappy advice, which incidentally, involves the very same "rules" about fast boats that you've been spouting.

What you are reading so much:
You aren’t reading “so” much. You are reading too much, as in, when you read you are inferring meaning that isn’t there. Angstrom tried to explain this, and there’s really nothing more that can be said about it.

Kayak
So the Pungo only has 1 too?

Pungo bulkheads
The Pungo 120 has only one bulkhead, so the bow can sink straight down with the stern in the air. Very difficult to recover. The Pungo 140 has two bulkheads.

Here is what can happen even on a calm and shallow pond (yes that is a Pungo 120):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3WeXGmqYsE

You can mitigate this problem with the 120 by getting an inflatable flotation bag that fits inside the bow section. It keeps the boat from filling with too much water at that end.

It is not only waves that can capsize a kayak – more often it is somebody reaching out too far in the boat or making too abrupt a move. And power boat and jet ski wakes can be a problem on recreational lakes.

Gotcha
Makes sense. I’m at a loss I guess. I talked to a shop about the Tribute and they didn’t recommend it for my lake/rec use. I’m also not sure if I want to drop ~$2,000 on kayaks.

just a thought
Perception Conduit 13, two bulkheads, bow and stern, usually on sale at dick’s for around $600.

Conduit
Would that be a decent boat? How is it compared to the Pungo? Would the 12 ft have 2 bulkheads?

Current Designs
Or what do you think of Current Deisgns?

Current Designs
CD makes super nice boats, but they will be towards the more costly end. They are made in the USA and are very well outfitted.

The Perception Sport Conduit 13 (not the smaller versions) is probably the least expensive kayak with dual bulkheads and some deck rigging. It will not be as nicely finished or have as comfortable a seat or watertight hatches as higher end makes. Perception Sport is the economy line of Perception. Under the Perception label, the company makes kayaks comparable in quality to Necky, Wilderness Systems, Dagger, Jackson, Current Designs and Venture.

The drawbacks to the Conduit 13 are that it is a little heavy at 51 pounds and a little wide at 26.5". (Personally, as an averaged size woman with a short upper body and arms, I don’t care for kayaks over 24" in the beam, but many women are fine with wider boats.) But it has adjustable foot-pegs, a reasonably sized cockpit that can take a spray skirt and thigh pads. Overall a pretty well outfitted boat for the price, currently $600 at Dick’s. For your lake use it would be fine and it has all the features that would allow you to expand use into more challenging waters. I’ve recommended the model to lots of people, including friends and family. For people hesitant to look for a used boat, it’s a thrifty entry level option.

It should also be reasonably easy to sell for a decent percentage of your original purchase price if you decide after paddling for a while that there are characteristics that you want to change in your boat. Most of us who really get into kayaking end up doing that eventually and either “trade up” or get a second boat and save the first one for a friend loaner boat (you will find that having a second kayak greatly improves your opportunities to expand your paddling outings – besides having company, having a second car means you can set up a shuttle to do river and stream floats.)

CD

– Last Updated: Jul-26-15 11:46 AM EST –

Personally I love Current Design boats. I am a rec kayaker and own the Kestrel 120, single bulkhead, wish now I did the Kestrel 140, two bulkheads, but live and learn, for some it's the nature of kayaking I hear. I brought up the Conduit 13 since you mentioned price and knew this was an OK boat and cheap comparatively speaking, and with some better length, width and two bulkheads. Its also longer and thinner and cheaper than the Pungo 120, features you will appreciate after a short bit.

CD vs Pungo
My wife and I started off 3 years ago with two Pungo 120 Ultralites. She is 5’0" 120lbs and I am 6’0" 200lbs and we’re both in our mid 60’s and in decent shape.

We test paddled quite a few boats before choosing the Pungos, but we both really liked them for smaller lakes and sheltered bays. The stability and large cockpit makes for a great photography platform and while we did add flotation bags for rougher water and half skirts for colder weather, we never came close to capsizing them. They track quite well for 12’ boats, have quality seats and fittings, are very stable and super maneuverable. I was probably a little big for mine and my wife a little small for hers, but we both enjoyed paddling them and both had a lot of fun in them.

But, last year we decided to improve our skills a little so we bought two CD Visions; a 13’ boat for my wife and a 14’ for me, both 24" wide. Again, the CD boats are very nice quality, even though this fiberglass/kevlar line is made in China. The boats unquestionably fit us better than the Pungos and definitely perform better. They are also quite a bit tippier and take more effort from the paddler. I do think our skills are improving but the Visions are much more sensitive to any paddler input. The more we paddle them the better we get though.

Anyway, unless you are ultimately thinking of more challenging conditions and locations, I think the Pungos would be perfect for you. I think they’re a terrific design for a rec boat. There’s a good reason the marina’s rental fleet at our local rowing center is basically all Pungo 120s, with a few tandem Pamlicos thrown in.

Just Bought Two Pungos
I just bought two Pungo 120s! I ended up getting two Bwnding Branches Sunrise paddles (120 for my wife and 130 for me). Would i have been better off getting the Eagle Ray hybrid?

You did fine.
The Aquabound paddles would be a little better with their carbon fiber shafts, but I think the Bending Branches paddles will serve you well. It’s not like you’ll be doing all-day tours.

I would also point you away from larger paddle blades like the Eagle Ray. Unless you are in really super-good shape. We started out with Aquabound Sting Rays (230 and 210) although with a narrower boat I now use a 210 Werner Cyprus which is a terrific (but expensive) paddle. I also paddle a a fairly high angle. Which allows me to use a shorter length.

As always, taking them for a test paddle is always a good idea.

Paddles
So you think the ones I got will be okay? I got the 220 for my wife who is 5’7" and 230 for myself at 6’2" with both boats having a 29" beam. Based on the diagram on the paddles they are too short but that’s what they sold me. Said I could exchange them if I want something different though.

Paddle Help
Any other ideas on paddles? Should I keep the ones I have or get the stingray for $30 more? Also I’m unsure if the sizing was correct. The chart said for a 29" beam someone my wife’s size should use 230 and I should use 240. Any help would be much appreciated!!

paddles
You may be OK with the 230 since you are tall, but she may find the 220 a little short depending on how longwaisted she is. if she has long legs and a shorter upper body and arms, hitting the gunwales on such a wide boat may be an issue with a 220. Best to try them. If you don’t bang or scratch them up the seller ought to allow an exchange.

Paddles
My wife definitely has long legs. Would we be better off with a 230 and 240?