I’m looking for my first touring kayak but only have room for one boat and plan to be out in it weekly at the smaller lakes and reservoirs as well as on very large bodies of water and multi-day class I/II river trips here in Colorado.
Given that I live in the mountains, with not a touring boat source within an hours drive. I’m going to buying sight unseen.
Here’s what I’m looking for:
- A touring boat with a good reputation for maneuverability 16’5"-17’8" I’m guessing
- Good enough initial stability for photography but a reputation for good maneuverability.
- Less that $3,500, and around 50 pounds or lighter.
- Good tracking would be nice.
- Something that will fit me well. Very active slender 45yo dude. 5’10" @ 165lb. 32" inseam. 33" waist. Size 11.5 shoes.
I was looking very closely at ordering a Valley Etain but from the stats of the reviewers, I’m thinking I’d be swimming in the cockpit. Given my stats and needs, what boats should be at the top for my consideration?