We are beginner kayakers, interested in purchasing our first kayaks. I am 5’11", and weigh 175. My wife is 5’6" and weighs 120. We are in our early 50s.
To get your suggestions as to the most appropriate kayaks, we can provide you with the following information:
- We will be kayaking in tidal creeks, with relatively flat water. Speed is not as much an issue, but stability, ease of tracking and comfort are more of an issue.
- The kayaks will be kept outside on a rack, and will be carried about 100 ft. from their rack to the creek access. So, weight is an issue, but car transport is not.
- The kayaks will be used not only by us, but by our children (early 20s), all of whom have no experience in kayaking.
- Long trips/camping are not part of the equation; rather, we would expect at a maximum to be on the water for 2 hours or so.
- We are willing to spend no more than $500 or $600 per kayak.
We have spoken to a couple of dealers, and have gotten recommendations for the Old Town Otter (may be a little too small), and the Pungo models. Would appreciate your feedback on these issues. Thanks in advance for your help.