Help in determining the model of this Prijon Kayak

I am looking at an ad for this Prijon kayak, but it does not mention what model it is, and the seller doesn’t seem to know. Only that it is 15 feet long and weighs 60 lbs. It does have an “HTP” logo and serial number on it. I would like to do a little research before I drive 2 hours to see it. Any ideas, from the picture, what model this would be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ask him to copy down and send you the serial number. That will help with identifying the model and definitely tell you what year it was made.

1 Like

I do have the serial number and have sent an email to Prijon, but I was hoping someone might be able to identify it more quickly, before he sells it to someone else. Thank you for your response😁

FOund this old Men’s Journal review of a Prijon Motion and it looks like that is what the seller has. Made of HTP and with the distinctive small round day hatch and those unusual deck mesh caches. Willing to bet this is the model. Prijons are well built boats.

1 Like

And there are several user reviews of the Motion here on P.com if that helps. Last 2 digits of the serial number will tell you the production year, BTW:

Long ago I had a Prijon Seayak… I knew the OP query object was not that model but it had the same kind of klunky hatches. However they never leaked! The boat was very sturdy and spent several years plying Maine waters in the early 90’s.

1 Like

Thank you SO much!

The last 2 digits are 67, so I don’t think that applies here.

Lots of Prijon boats have similar hatches. I have paddled a few of their boats and they were quite good. The Kodiak was one of my favorite for long trips on open coastal waters. When you buy a used boat it’s always a bit of a red flag when the seller has no idea what model they are selling. I’d take a look at it if you want a smaller boat for day trips and playing in rough water, but make sure you understand who owned the boat previously and how it got in the seller’s hands.

My guess based on the deck box, seat back, and security loop is approximately an '07 or later model. The hatches are of the Kodiak/Seayak type. My suggestion is to post it on Prijon Hoarders on FB. Some one on there will recognize it immediately. BTW, I have several elderly Prijons. None of them have lost their identification plates/decals. I agree - red flag.

He said that he bought it used last year and then had some life changes and never paddled it. I guess I will see when I go look at it. Thank you for the insight!

I looked for Prijon Hoarders on FB and couldn’t find it, but I have sent an email to Prijon with a picture and the serial number, so I hope to hear back on that.

Ben…it does still have the serial number plate, so we will see what kind of response I get from Prijon. Appreciate your response and input!

What is the seller asking for it? If less than $500 and the hull is not oilcanned (flattened or deeply dented on the bottom) and there are no cracks, it is probably worth buying.

He’s asking $600 but it comes with wheels and a paddle. I am going to look at it later this afternoon. I’ll let you know if I buy it.

I did a lot of research yesterday on the Prijon HTP material boats and it seems that they are virtually indestructible. All the reviews that I read were very positive.

That’s worth it then since a decent paddle will run you $120 (even a less than great one would be $50) and a cart is another $40 or $50.

1 Like

Prijons are great boats to paddle and also are pretty much indestructible. I’d say go for it!

(pic is my older seayak)

2 Likes

Thanks acy! I bought her today!! Very excited to get her in the water😁

1 Like

Bought the boat today for $500, with wheels and paddle(paddle is a little short, but I have a good one).:grin:

3 Likes

Congrats on that buy! Let us know how you like it once in the water.

What is the model and size of the paddle, by the way? That’s a fairly slender kayak so you may be surprised at how well a paddle shorter than you are used to works with it.

Being only 23" across the beam, the kayak may feel a little unstable at first so just keep your hips loose (like you are downhill skiing) and get a feel for it before heading into deeper water. Narrow higher performing boats can feel wobbly but are actually pretty stable in secondary stability. Stay in the shallows and try gently rocking in it to get a feel for the balance. Abrupt panic reactions when the boat leans a bit can dump you but if you stay relaxed and let the boat move under you by keeping your upper body centered and using your paddle to brace yourself on the water you will quickly get used to it.