Help Making a Decision

-- Last Updated: Jul-10-10 8:11 PM EST --

I need some help making a decision . . . I am new to kayaking and plan to purchase my first kayak in the next week. I live on the Chesapeake Bay (between Baltimore and Annapolis). My current primary interest is to paddle the bays and rivers/creeks in this area, crossing to Sparrows Point, paddling the Annapolis area, etc. I am 5'6 and 200lbs.

I am looking at the following kayaks -

Delta Kayaks Twelve 10 (thermoformed)
Delta Kayaks Fourteen 5 (thermoformed)
Current Designs Vision 140 (composite hybrid)
Current Designs Kestrel 140 (recreational - composite hybrid)

I have looked at the Delta's at REI (can't test drive them, though). Also looked at the Current Designs boats in Annapolis and test drove the rotomold CD kayak.

I like the Current Design kayaks because of their weight and availability from a local supplier. However, I found no difference when comparing the "fit" of the Twelve 10 and Vision. The Twelve 10 is also about $500 cheaper (when compared to the 14 footers). The 14 footers are priced comparably. So, I can't decide if I should save some money and get the 12' or go to a 14' even if it might not be necessary given where I want to paddle.

Given my location, interests, size, and the quality of the above kayaks, can anyone help me with my decision?

Thanks,
Jason

A couple ideas…
First, while I can understand your wish to get a boat as soon as possible, I wonder if you’ve had a chance to paddle enough different boats to help make your first choice a good one? (one that you’ll be happy with at least long enough to build some skills and more deeply develop your personal preferences).

Also, with regards to cost, please don’t discount the idea of a used boat. You can get much more boat for the same amount of money (and often significantly less), and if/when you feel like selling it to get something else, you can pretty much expect to get for it what you paid (basically, a “free rental” for all that time!).

Most people take pretty good care of their boats, so when they sell, you have a good chance of finding a great price on a good–or even great–boat. My sister just purchased a nice used 16’ wood/glass kit built boat for MUCH less than a new plastic Kestrel 140. She found hers on Craigslist. Think of all the money you could have available for good paddles (can also be found used), and other gear and/or simply to save.

I’m all for supporting kayak companies, but I’m even more for recycling, and for supporting fellow paddlers who need to sell a boat in order to get another, etc.

Just something to think about.

Melissa

Ditto: Go used …
Look at some more boats before you make up your mind, and check out Craigslist and this site for some deals on boats. Lots of boats will fit what you want to do. If you can paddle some boats with classes or clubs or outfitters before you buy. It will give you a much better idea. Also i would not buy a boat you can’t paddle -try before you buy.

boat size
I’m about your size and with 14 years of experience in paddling both canoes and my kayak. Trying out boats is your best bet, even taking an introductory course into kayaking. But, at our size, a 14’ or less kayak is simply too small and will quickly be outgrown in terms of performance (casual speed keeping up with others and tracking). Would suggest you look at 16’.

All Great Advice and when I was first
looking went to a waterfront outfitter with a big variety of boats (sizes, brands, designs, seats, and styles) to rent, bought a days rental, and switched boats out about every 45 mins and started the elimination process. Might also check out the Baltimore Canoe Club (lots of yakkers too :slight_smile: for events where you can talk to lots of other local paddlers, demo days, etc. They may have a forum and classified section. Just thoughts. R

Dagger and Eddyline
If you want a great boat, try out the Dagger Alchemy 14S and 14 L. They are polyethylene (roto-mold) and very durable. The Dagger Alchemy got great reviews in Sea & Kayak. Its 14 ft long. Turns on a dime and will support your weight. Go for around $1300. If you want a pretty boat that is sea worthy, check out the Eddyline Journey, made of ABS.

The Current Design Kestral 140 is a great recreational boat. Well made and stable. Most people that have owned them really like them.

Demo the boats you want to consider. There are demo days all the time during the summer. The Deltas are nice, but not being able to try out is a real gamble.

a important little thing
Your weight at 200 lbs you should consider nothing less than a 14ft kayak.

AS a owner and paddler of a CD Kestrel they are great boats. THat said they might not be suitable for bays due to the large cockpit.

I also have the CD Vision 135 (roto) I prefer this to the Kestrel due to handling and slimmer beam.

My best advice is to focus on the type of water you wish to paddle and not the price tag.

Thank you!
Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to be test driving the Eddyline Equinox (14’) and the Current Designs Vision 140 this coming week.

I’ve ruled out the Delta Kayak because I’d have to buy without trying it and the CD Kestrel because it is too “recreational” for the waters I may find myself in.

I’ll report on what (if any) decision is made.

Again, thanks for the advice!

Jason

x3
Another recommendation to go used. Just buy something that’s close to what you’re looking for. Once you have your own boat and have put some hours in you’ll have a better idea what you do/don’t want in a boat.

Then if your current boat leaves something to be desired you sell it for the same price you bought it for and go looking for the right boat (hint:most of us have learned there is no “right” boat).

Armed with more information about what you want you can go whole hog and confidently but a new boat or save a bunch of $$$ again and buy another one (or two) used.

Good luck!

Alan

Get together with the Pirates
Check cpakayaker.com the Paddling Forums and then go to the Pirates for your area. They will likely let you borrow their kayaks if you show at their weekly meets.

For the Bay, especially if you plan to paddle with others in longer kayaks, I think you do not want anything shorter than about 14 feet, and depending on your size can go up from there.

Go used if you can for your first kayak. Or check the DC craigs list for the new Point 65 Whiskey 16 at $1,900 (don’t know the sellers, they are south from you by a few hours, but I hear good things about them and they have several at this price).

Since you’ve narrowed it down to two
Vision 140: No doubt a good kayak (I haven’t paddled it). Excellent weight. Some people find the 12" depth of the cockpit too low.

Equinox: Very well made, but sluggish compared to the Eddyline Journey. If you can afford an Eddyline, try the Journey. It’s a much better performing boat than the Equinox. But the Equinox certainly has its fans.

Don’t feel bad about crossing off the Delta 14. It is very stable and comfortable, but somewhat of a tank to paddle. Again, it does have its fans and its place. The Delta 12 is a nice zippy little kayak, but not right for where you want to paddle, in my opinion.

You came to the right conclusion about the Kestrel. Very nice kayak, but even at your size you don’t need the humongous cockpit and 26" width.

Your top 2 choices are good, but add the Journey and see what you think. Make sure you understand what you’re buying (hull design, material) and test them thoroughly, because these are expensive kayaks.

Don’t you mean…
…“no SINGLE right boat”? :slight_smile: I posit there are “several right boats”…hence our natural inclination to build and maintain our own little fleets! :slight_smile:

Melissa

One more
To the good suggestions above, I’ll add a recommendation to consider the QCC Q400. I have a new one and am loving it. At your weight, it is just right for the uses you mention. It is deep which I prefer, although some don’t. It is quite an efficient hull for its length and width (15’3" by 24") and would be good to learn in. There’s a used one for a very good price in the p-net listings in Maryland right now. You could definitely paddle it for a year and sell it for the same price if you don’t want it anymore.

Necky Mantou 14
If I was you I would consider a Necky Manitou 14 that comes with a skeg for about $1000. The QCC 400X is also a good choice as I own one myself but will probably cost you considerably more unless you find a used one.

One thing I don’t understand about QCC
Why are the cockpits so small? There’s a good chance 16" x 30" will too small for the OP. I think they cut out a lot of potential buyers with that cockpit.

Good question
Well, I’m about the same size as the OP (a little taller, but not much) and the cockpit fits OK. I can just sit and pull my legs in after. It does seem shorter than it needs to be - a couple more inches in length would be welcome. I figured it was only me who thought it was short, as my other kayak has a 35.5 inch long cockpit.

QCC cockpit is outdated
The problem with QCC is that they use the same 16 x 30 cockpit on all of their models, from 13’ to 18’. That doesn’t take into account either different body sizes or different uses.

A paddler who chooses a 13’ kayak is looking for a different type of ease of usage than a paddler who chooses a true sea kayak.

The 400X is an interesting case because at 15’3" it’s either a long transitional kayak or a short sea kayak. I would have loved to consider the 400X but the small cockpit ruled it out and I went with an Eddyline.

Among the 7 QCC models, 5 are designed for smaller paddlers. That seems outdated, out of synch with the current height and weight of Americans.

You wrote, “I can just sit and pull my legs in after.” Sea kayakers readily accept that level of comfort and smaller. Transitional kayakers do not. It seems like a poor marketing decision by QCC because I’m guessing that there are far more recreational and transitional kayakers in the U.S. than sea kayakers. Two more inches, as you suggest, and maybe an extra inch of cockpit width, would bring the 300 and 400 within reach of lots more potential buyers.

QCC cockpit is outdated
The problem with QCC is that they use the same 16 x 30 cockpit on all of their models, from 13’ to 18’. That doesn’t take into account either different body sizes or different uses.

A paddler who chooses a 13’ kayak is looking for a different type of ease of usage than a paddler who chooses a true sea kayak.

The 400X is an interesting case because at 15’3" it’s either a long transitional kayak or a short sea kayak. I would have loved to consider the 400X but the small cockpit ruled it out and I went with an Eddyline.

Among the 7 QCC models, 5 are designed for smaller paddlers. That seems outdated, out of synch with the current height and weight of Americans.

You wrote, “I can just sit and pull my legs in after.” Sea kayakers readily accept that level of comfort and smaller. Transitional kayakers do not. It seems like a poor marketing decision by QCC because I’m guessing that there are far more recreational and transitional kayakers in the U.S. than sea kayakers. Two more inches, as you suggest, and maybe an extra inch of cockpit width, would bring the 300 and 400 within reach of lots more potential buyers.

Agreed
All this makes sense - offering a standard and a large cockpit doesn’t seem unreasonable.

QCC cockpit
Well I’m 5’6" 170 and I have gotten used to the smaller cockpit on my 400X. True I can only pull one leg back at a time but that’s because mine came with the thigh braces installed. It definitely is a little more challenging to get in and out of which could be a problem as we all age. One reason why I’m looking at a Placid Rapidfire.