Help me – I’ve started hiking and now I can’t stop

With cold temperatures, an early freeze up, and a bunch of paddling friends that have started to do more hiking than paddling, I’m spending more time on my feet than in my boat. Since early December, I’ve had my boat out once and gone on gone four hikes. If I go back to November the numbers are a little better - out in the boat three times and hiked six. Not that hiking is bad – it’s actually a lot of fun, but I’ve always prided myself on being a year-around paddler, and I am hoping for a warm snap in southern New England soon so I can get back to paddling.

Anyway, here are a few pictures (and one video) from yesterday’s hike at Purgatory Chasm State Reservation in Sutton, MA.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/albums/72157690599126221

With the recent heavy rain and snowmelt, we found some pretty waterfalls while bushwacking through the woods. Unfortunately, its back to being cold – temp’s peaked at 25 yesterday, and everything is freezing up again. :frowning:

I think that is called cross training.

Looks like it was a great day for hiking, Erik.

I am curious about that sign directing hikers to enter the “private and posted” property of Deer Run Farm. What’s with that? Especially the 'ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK" warning. Is the state directing people to trespass in order to reconnect with the trail?

@Rookie said:

I am curious about that sign directing hikers to enter the “private and posted” property of Deer Run Farm. What’s with that? Especially the 'ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK" warning. Is the state directing people to trespass in order to reconnect with the trail?

That is a CYA sign in case someone gets hurt on private property.

That area looks a lot like Jones Gap State Park. One of the reasons I paddle is because I can no longer hike.

@string said:

@Rookie said:

Odd laws there if the state can direct folks to trespass on private, posted land.

The black flies may help slow that down if you wait a couple of months or so.

Maybe the private section of trail is in dispute with state authorities. Maybe the state has an easement through it for public access as long as hikers STAY on the trail only.

Is Purgatory Chasm the park that contains a cave that has ice in summer? I went to that, oh, about 40-plus years ago.

@Rookie said:

@string said:

@Rookie said:

Odd laws there if the state can direct folks to trespass on private, posted land.

The sign was put up by a private land owner who allows people to cross his land on a trail that connects two state parks - Purgatory Chasm and Sutton State Forest. As String said, a CYA notice, but still nice that they allow people to cross their land.

@pikabike said:
Is Purgatory Chasm the park that contains a cave that has ice in summer? I went to that, oh, about 40-plus years ago.

Yes - there is a 70 foot deep gorge (the Chasm) with a couple of caves. Don’t know if the ice last into the summer, but it lasts a long time. The Chasm is closed to hikers in the winter due to ice.

Thanks, Erik, for the back story. Now it makes sense.

I enjoy hiking in the winter – no bugs or sunscreen sweat pouring into your eyes. Cool ice formations so far this year too. it gets slippery around here in SW Pennsylvania with all our rocks and constant freeze-thaw cycles. I recently picked up a pair of Swedish-made IceBug hiking boots with carbide studs embedded in the soles that are working really well on icy trails. There are some guys in State College, PA, who are selling mixed sizes and models of them at pretty good discounts (the ones I got were only $32.) Their Ebay store is “snowdealsnow”.

I’ve used the slip on stretchy spike thingees that fit over regular boots in past years but have had trouble with them catching on things and breaking with wear. These IceBugs are sure-footed without those worries – but you have to take them off in the house, not good for hard floors. The boots are pretty well made and insulated too, made of real suede leather (which I already coated with BeeSeal) with a warm fleece lining. Probably not supportive enough for winter backpacking but fine for a day hike. They have boot and running shoe-like models but I got the ones that just look like ankle height hikers. Fit is similar to Keens, lots of room in the toes.

Biking. In 2017 I set a new personal mostest miles in a year. I’m going to paddle more in 2018. A biking buddy told me he just bought a house on the big local reservoir and wants a boat. We’ll get some miles in as he tries my boats. Another bike friend wants to do some outer banks camping this year. Looking forward to warmer air and water. I WILL go ride my bike today if it gets above freezing.

Speaking of ice on trails, we have a series of really nice trails in Jones Gap and Caesers Head State Parks, both about an hour away. Some of the trails are steep with serious drops.
We hiked one after a hard freeze and at The Cathedral, which is a cliff face, we had to cross a river of ice. Slip and you would stop 100 yds down in rocks and trees. None of us had boots for ice.
I was damp with sweat after we got across and it wasn’t from exertion.

I have loved hiking in winter for just about forever, and to me it’s best when snowshoes are needed. I live a little too far south for reliably deep snow, but some winters we are lucky and get plenty. This winter surely has been one of the most snow-starved winters I’ve ever seen. A road trip up north might be a good idea soon!

Now whenever someone tells you to “go take a hike!”, you simply reply “Ok.”.

eck it’s all good!

@eckilson said:

@pikabike said:

Yes - there is a 70 foot deep gorge (the Chasm) with a couple of caves. Don’t know if the ice last into the summer, but it lasts a long time. The Chasm is closed to hikers in the winter due to ice.

It had ice in summer when I went, before climate change had sped up so noticeably.

@tdaniel said:
eck it’s all good!

We’ll see what happens on Saturday - temps in the mid 40’s. There is a hike at 8:00, but I haven’t seen a paddle yet.

@Guideboatguy said:
I have loved hiking in winter for just about forever, and to me it’s best when snowshoes are needed. I live a little too far south for reliably deep snow, but some winters we are lucky and get plenty. This winter surely has been one of the most snow-starved winters I’ve ever seen. A road trip up north might be a good idea soon!

We had a foot of nice light powder, and we did get out on snowshoes a couple of weeks ago. We are getting a snowy/rainy mix today, so it will probably be microspikes this weekend - unless I paddle.