Help Me Understand Kayaks versus Canoes

I bet you can’t portage that long segmented kayak like this 32 foot long voyageur;

@yknpdlr said:
I bet you can’t portage that long segmented kayak like this 32 foot long voyageur;

I would use a dump truck to portage the segmented kayak.

@Overstreet said:

@Overstreet said:
How long to make a turn?

Actually it can’t turn.

To turn:
everyone leans & sweeps at the exact same time, note, before trying this, they may want to take some lessons from these guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4f_1_r80RY

(can you say ‘Murmuration’)

The kudzu of the sky. Kudzu can be beautiful, too.

Totally Makes sense. I’ve been to Disney World but from Montana. :wink: It’s about MARKETING. Look at the sales of kayaks compared to canoes…worldwide.
Second: You can get a cheap crappy hunk of plastic and call it a kayak…great for the rental business when it’s about getting as many people in and out in a day. They can buy 20 kayaks for $200 each for their rental biz. Not going to be buying that many CLippers or Old Towns at that price.
Canoes: original design historically---- Hauling families, furs and dead game. Not much portaging in Florida.
I agree with you, canoe would be awesome. Again…marketing and LACK of knowledge on the fact a canoe can be paddled on an Ocean. People like being, “solo” and kayaks are marketed as such.

@paddletothesea said:
Canoes: original design historically----

Both canoes and kayaks have a history of several thousand years.

This topic has been debated for at least thirty years among canoe people and designers and historians ( probably longer). There is no answer.

Kayaks were never heavily marketed till the Perception Keowee came out in the 80’s… But they have been around for thousands of years.

@kayamedic said:
This topic has been debated for at least thirty years among canoe people and designers and historians ( probably longer). There is no answer.

Kayaks were never heavily marketed till the Perception Keowee came out in the 80’s… But they have been around for thousands of years.

We have two Keowees from ages ago and they are what got us into kayaking. Except for a bunch of scratches they are as good as when we bought them.
All our kids and grandchildren got introduced to kayaking in them.
When I feel how thin the poly is on the junk they are selling today, I would be afraid to go off shore with one.

Those Keowees were probably the first kayaks that my husband and I saw or paddled. The place where we rented each summer got a couple of them and we went places we probably should not have with them until even we understood we were pushing it. They are still there and I use them to go out to the neck between the main shore and the island to get mussels when the colony is in good shape.

But yeah, they are distinctly thicker than current versions of the same thing.

My Keowee started me pn the slippery path to multiple boat ownership
I got it at a boat show in Newport RI and it took me places that it probably should not have

Our first kayak was a Folbot Super I built from a kit.
My first solo was a Perception Acadia and I also took it out in conditions it was poorly suited to handle.

another notable difference in a canoe is you can haul a full size guitar… kayaks are more suited to a NAF

https://youtu.be/9t4S1CZWgsw

@Paatit said:
another notable difference in a canoe is you can haul a full size guitar… kayaks are more suited to a NAF

Dimensions? My solo canoes are in the neighborhood of 22 inches wide. Most people think of old slow tubs… the old school canoe… Not true anymore

My understanding in some countries kayaks are called canoes and canoes are called Canadians. So finding a common “understanding” of kayaks, canoes, and Canadians might be difficult .

Eh?

@kayamedic said:

@Paatit said:

Dimensions? My solo canoes are in the neighborhood of 22 inches wide. Most people think of old slow tubs… the old school canoe… Not true anymore

@ original poster… don’t take a 22" beam solo kayak out on Lac Superier in 15 footers… @ KM sorry you have to leave the guitar home kayakmedic … I feel the pain

@Paatit said:

@kayamedic said:

@Paatit said:

@ original poster… don’t take a 22" beam solo kayak out on Lac Superier in 15 footers… @ KM sorry you have to leave the guitar home kayakmedic … I feel the pain

I dont in 15 footers. i have done most of the Ontario shore of Superior in that boat. I prefer waves under three feet
Thank you for your Superior knowledge

Yes, in Canada it was common to call both canoes and kayaks “canoes”. Open canoes became known as Canadian canoes or just Canadians or Canadiennes.

@kayamedic said:. i have done most of the Ontario shore of Superior in that boat. I prefer waves under three feet

Must be beautiful, I don’t foresee getting there anytime soon, but I still hold out hope for oneday