Help picking out second Kayak

(sorry for the double post, I clicked way before I should have)

Hi! Thanks for any advice you can offer. I’ve been reading the posts and boat reviews here, and I’ve not been able to decide on what I should do. First about me, I live on a small lake within easy walking distance from the boat launch. I have an Emotion Glide kayak that I picked up cheap to see if kayaking on the lake is something I would enjoy. Not only do I enjoy it, I want to add it to my daily exercise routine. I’m 6’1" and 200 lbs and in ok physical condition. The lake is sheltered and I don’t have any plans to do anything other than day tripping, flat water paddling. I am also limited in storage, so the maximum length the kayak can be is 14 feet plus or minus a few inches.

I’ve been paddling the Emotion Glide enough to know what I want to do with Kayak number two.

• I want good tracking, the Glide makes a hard left turn as soon as I stop paddling.
  • Faster is better. My lake is 1 mile across so there’s no place to go but in circles, but I want to circle fast. :smiley:
  • I want a boat that I can grow into, not out of. But I’m a beginner and I don’t want a yak that is so tippy it’s dangerous for me.
  • Cost is a consideration, but not the only one. Cheaper is better, but I also believe in buy once cry once.

Challenges:

• Corona virus - The stores are closed so trying on for size isn’t possible. (and I’m not going in even if they were open)
  • I live in a desert, so while there is some kayaking it’s not a big thing locally. The only place selling “better” kayaks is REI and whatever shows up on craigslist.

Right now REI has a sale going and the Pelican Premium Sprint 140DT Kayak looks like a promising option at $890 or there’s a almost new Perception Carolina 14 Kayak for $850 on craigslist.

Here’s a link of yaks I’ve been looking at. Given my wants which one would you choose and why. https://www.rei.com/c/touring-kayaks?ir=category%3Atouring-kayaks&r=category%3Apaddling|kayaks|touring-kayaks%3Blength-ft%3A14%20to%2017&sort=min-price

Thanks!

Do you swim? If yes and l understand that you want to go in training Iaps around the edge of a lake, it would be hard for a kayak to actually be dangerous for you. Worse that happens is you fall in, swim you and the boat to shore, dump it out and start again.

Assuming you have flotation in both ends of the boat. If one end fills with water and starts pointing at the bottom of the lake it makes the part about swimming it to shore maybe impossible. But if you both ends float after a capsized not a big deal.

You might be fine with a shorter length boat that is narrower and tracks better.

1 Like

Thanks, I can swim and I always wear a PFD, so I’m not too worried about drowning. Maybe dangerously tippy is the wrong wording. I’ve only ever paddled flat water recreational kayaks, so I have no basis to know how big of a deal stability is. From what I’ve read longer, faster kayaks tend to be less stable and for the experienced paddler that’s a good thing. My desire is to enjoy the growth from beginner to more experienced without being in a boat that is too advanced for me.

The way I’m thinking about this, maybe incorrectly, is different yaks are suited for different skills. In my single days I was a ski instructor. My go to ski’s were a set of hardcore racers I scored from one of the racing teams. On a good day they were incredibly responsive and fun to ski, IF you had the skill. On a bad day or if I was tired, they’d put me on my butt in a second. I don’t want the kayak equivalent of those skis, if that’s even a thing.

There are some great canoes out there that are paddled like a kayak. They are lighter then a kayak and carry much easier. Just a thought.

Well, I just pulled the trigger on a new kayak and paddle - hope I like it. Stupid virus, can’t go see things in person . . .

The more I studied the lower priced Kayaks the more I thought I’d regret buying one. The cost is important but buying twice or three times kind of blows any savings to the wind. I read somewhere of a person that bought a $150 kayak, then a $700 kayak, and finally $1,700 kayak. I skipped the $700 step and went straight to the $1,700 ($2,000 regular price) kayak. I think using new math I can count that as saving a $1,000. Now for the longest week ever, waiting for curbside delivery.

In the higher price range the Eddyline Sikta LT was my first choice and the Delta 14 was my second. Both got good reviews but with the REI sale the Delta was $500 less expensive, so I bought the Delta 14.

https://www.rei.com/product/172492/delta-kayaks-delta-14-kayak

A nice kayak needs a nice paddle so I took advantage of the REI sale and picked up an Aqua-Bound Tango Fiberglass 2-Piece Kayak Paddle.

https://www.rei.com/product/132438/aqua-bound-tango-fiberglass-2-piece-kayak-paddle

Congrats! The Delta is a nice boat. Wishing you many happy and safe paddling adventures!

If you bought the 240 cm paddle, it is too long for you. There is a reason it was the only length available. I know many paddlers and none use a 240. With that length you are adding stress to your body for no gain .

I bought the 230 cm paddle based on the advice of the Aqua-Bound website’s paddle selector.

KAYAK WIDTH UNDER 23" 23" TO 27.75" 28" TO 32" OVER 32"
PADDLER HEIGHT Recommended Paddle Length
UNDER 5’ 200 cm 210 cm 220 cm 230 cm
5’ TO 5’6" 210 cm 220 cm 230 cm 240 cm
5’7" TO 6’ 220 cm 220 cm 230 cm 240 cm
OVER 6’ 220 cm 230 cm 240 cm 250 cm

Good length to start.