Help Please

My wife and I would like to get more active and outdoors and hopefully get back into shape we are both 30 years old. We are both pretty big i’m about 5’10 230 she is 5’9 and heavy as well. We live in a townhouse so storage is an issue for size of kayaks we would like to get.

We are looking for kayaks to use on lakes and slower rivers. Would we be ok with 10-12 foots? If so what models to look at. We would prefer sit in models. Whatever Kayaks we choose would have to be stored in our basement so i don’t think anything over 12 foot would be easy to get in and out to easily.

thanks in advance for any advice and help

I don’t mean to be a spoil sport, but
if you just want to get out doors and into nature, then by all means get kayaks, but don’t expect them to work magic and get you into shape.

A combination of proper nutrition, and WORKING OUT in the kayaks as well as cycling or other aerobic sports is the only thing that will help you get into shape, and the working out part is not fun - until you start to see results, and then it becomes fun.

With my little tirade over, hopefully some other posters will pop in and suggest some kayaks.

Possibly take a look at the Prodigy or equals.

Cheers,

jackL

try out a pungo
Wilderness Systems Pungo - try one out for your first boat.

Don’t expect kayaking to whip you into shape. Far better to start walking and increase the distance and speed. Cut out the desserts, seconds, and (gasp!) booze. If you have bicycles, use them. Use the kayaking as the reason to get and stay in shape, rather than the means to do so.

Brown-bag healthy lunches with lots of fruit and avoid eating out - unless its a Chik Fil’A :slight_smile:

Good Luck! You can do it.

The CD Kestrel 140
If you have a Current Designs Dealer in your area, I would suggest the CD Kestrel. It is a super all around boat (Please see reviews). The 140 is a great length for rivers & lakes. The TCS (Thermoformed Composite) is lighter than rotomold, less expensive than Kevlar and very hearty.

The main thing is I found it to be a fun and easy boat to paddle. If your having fun, you’ll paddle more often. (I have a favorite T-shirt that says “Paddle or Diet”.)

Good luck to you both! Enjoy your adventure!

deb

thanks
thanks for the recommendations, its not that i’m in bad shape I just think it would be a good way for us to get out more and do more exercise in a fun way. We do a bit of hiking and such now as well. Its just that since college i’ve been in a cubicle too much :slight_smile:

So I will look at the Pungo I have also been looking at

Wilderness Pamlico 100 for $425 at EMS

LL Bean Manatee DLX 10 for $400

Perception Swifty 9.5 at Dicks for $299

are these all comparable to the Pungo?

small boats
I haven’t paddled any of those so have no basis for comparison to the Pungo. But you should both paddle at demo days and compare boats. The Kestrel is certainly worth a good look. Demo days are geared to intro boats - so don’t be afraid of your lack of kayak experience.

Check used boats
Check craigslist.org in your area for used boats. I see them advertised in pairs frequently. It’s not uncommon for couple to try kayaking and decide it isn’t for them, or in some cases they like it a lot and buy better boats.

I’ve bought two used boats and saved a lot of money.

swifty etc
The Pungo has a rear waterproof bulkhead the others you listed do not. The LL Bean is a Perception Prodigy variant. The Swifty available at Dicks would not be a bad boat for the price - I have one and use it on slow rivers, streams and small lakes. I’ve added an inflatable flotation bag to mine. Also have rod holders and fish finder on it.

dealers
Find yourself a canoe/kayak dealer locally and stay away from the big box stores. A decent dealer will let you try boats either for free or will charge a minimal amount and apply that to the purchase price. The big box stores (Dicks etc) sell boats like they sell shoes, they have no idea of what’s good and what will work for you.

Bill H.

I can’t speak about the others, but
for the money you can’t go wrong with that Swifty.

My wife and I started with the same boat, but then it was called the Keowee.

We still have it and use it as a white water boat.

For the low price, it will get you into the sport, and then after a year or so if you decide you like it, you can alwasys move to a longer and better boat.

Someone said you need to add floatation, but if you look in both ends there shoud be some foam flotation.

There is in ours, and they are unsinkable.

Cheers,

JackL