Help to identfiy an old canoe

Hi,

I need help identifying an old family canoe I finally got in my possession after years. It’s a 19 foot double-ender aluminum canoe. All the identification marks are worn or faded from years of use and environment. The only thing that remains is a plastic emblem riveted on each side of the bow. Does anyone happen to know anything? I want to restore the emblems, but would want to know more before I do just in case.

Thanks.
EC

1 Like

Have you searched the boat thoroughly for a hull identification number (HIN)? If the boat was made prior to November 1972 it may not have one, but if it does the first three letters of the 12 character HIN will be the manufacturer’s identification code (MIC) and the last four characters the month and year of certification with the US Coast Guard (build date).

@pblanc Thank you.

This did it. It took a little while to find it as it blended in to the canoe so well.

It is a Lowe Industries Canoe built in December 1975. So far this is it. I know it’s roughly a 19 foot double-ender, but really trying to figure out the weight capacity as this plate is worn away.

This will be great to get it back on the water again soon. I forgot how big it was as a kid which is funny.

big enough. 19 foot canoes have a capacity of about 1100 lbs leaving six inches of freeboard. Most of us go with a capacity about 60-70 percent of that. Its a good moose canoe

The manufacturer of the canoe makes no difference. Archimedes rule of physics doesn’t care if its a 19 footer by Miss Muffett or King Kong… Volume of boat matters is all.

@kayamedic Thanks for the feedback… this is what I figured on the capacity being use to jon and sailboats. I figured if I was no more than about 700-800 lbs I would be good to go. I only wanted to know the manufacturer for specs more than anything to find out exactly what it would be at time of manufacturer to redo the faded and worn capacity placard.

Now I just deciding whether I just try bring back the original shine, paint it, or combo in between.

If you can buff it out, which might take some doin’, it will be a thing of beauty and easy to keep up as opposed to painting the outside of the hull. definitely paint the inside deck a nice pale tan, grey or blue though to prevent being roasted alive in the summertime.

@Paddlinpals it’s in really great shape, and I can buff out much of it I think, I did small test section with a light scrub steel wool and vinegar/water (1:1) to remove heavy dirt. I’ll try the metal polish and a buffer I think after. I remember having green patio carpet in it as a kid to keep the heat down. However, I do plan to paint the entire inside for sure.

Alumabrite and a hose.
This was the hot setup 50 years ago.
Aluminum boats are not very fast but durable and will carry a load.
It is unusual to see a 19 footer. That boat has great carrying capacity and will go up and over waves. They are heavy to portage but dependable. They usually have a flat bottom and are beamy giving them great primary stability, but average or below average secondary stability.