Here we go again-1st capsize!

Don’t get in or out - wear your boat
You and the boat should be almost one entity. In a performance boat like the T, you need to have your thighs in contact with the thigh braces so you can edge and lean.

How else do you turn?

As Sing said, the skirt and GP won’t make it easier to roll. I’d save my breath for a second roll attempt in case the first one failed rather than use it to attach the skirt on a re-enter and roll.

Although I paddle exclusively with a GP, I found it was much easier for me to roll with a Euro at first. It took a little while longer to learn to roll with the GP.

But get used to the boat being part of you. THere should not be any free play between it and you.

Balanced outfitting
I disagree about having no free play.

I am instantly locked in to brace and roll - but I also have room to work my legs for forward paddling and am not tight in the boat at all - until I want to be.

The way some pad out their boats and wedge themselves in is great for rolling - but sucks for paddling any decent speed or distance. There is a happy medium where you can take full advantage of the braces when needed and not “wear” the kayak all the time. Touring ain’t WW.

Helps that I do pretty much fill up most of the space between my seatposts - and padded my braces down 1/2". Also have foam foot brace surface, moved my seat, and have done tweaks to my backband placement. So my fit IS custom - just not snug. Solid contact is a VERY short distance away - and is engaged reflexively as needed.

The Greenlanders are pretty snug, but even they leave some wiggle room, and space at the hips (which makes many of their techniques easier).

I’m all for personalizing the fit, but am not sold on sea/touring kayaks needing being sardine cans unless all you do is rolling and surf play.

wiggle room…
What I meant by my exercises is that I deliberately got out of position or was extremely sloppy going over on a roll instead of setting up and rolling specifically so that I would have to get set backup again for a good roll. Mostly that just meant getting my but back into the seat, being wiling to hand upside down first before twisting up into roll position letting the pfd and body set back into the seat…kinda hard to explain.

At the beginning fo this post I mentioned that I stopped paying attention just for a moment. the end result of that was that my knees were where the thigh braces should have been and I was half in and half out. Instead of setting back up and rolling up, I attempted a roll, failed and did a wet exit.

I am just trying to set some neuron paths so that when I do capsize that I automatically go to a proper set up without thinking so that I have success coming back up.

Hopefully the exercises these last couple of days will do that but like the second post in this thread…“it ain’t real until it’s real”.

Paul