Heritage Sea Dart 14 won't track straight

I inherited an old Heritage Sea Dart 14 with a house purchase. I’ve taken it out a few times in calm cove water and I can’t get it to track straight. It wants to do figure-8s. I’m 6’4" and 200#, maybe I’m too big for it? I have 3 other kayaks and I have no problems with them - they do what I ask them to do. Perhaps I need a skeg?

Thanks in advance.

When you say old Seadart do you mean a really old seadart? There once was a composite model (fantastic sit on top), then a yellow polyethylene model (very very good SOT) , then in later years the brand got sold and they turned it into a turd brown fishing kayak (don’t bother). The older models had a serious modeled in skeg. If you have one of these, tip the boat over and sight down the hull and make sure the keel is straight . If not then you have a problem. If the keel is straight, then you are the problem. You may be weighting the boat funny, by where your butt sits, and how you push on the peddles or just not using good paddling technique. My old seadart paddles straight as an arrow with no effort. Also was the problem in wind?

This one is old and orange. No visible skeg to speak of on this one. There was no wind on the days I went out to paddle. My other 3 kayaks I don’t have issues with. I’m not super experienced, but I have a few years in kayaks. I’ve thought about adding a universal skeg kit on the back (rudder style). And I may be too big for it too.

Well, seems like experiences are different.
https://paddling.com/gear/heritage-kayaks-seadart-14-kayak/

If it wants to do figure 8s it’s likely not a hull deformaty , otherwise not left and right turns of a “8”.

Ha ! Just read my review from 2002. After owning many other kayaks, I still think the old seadart was one of the best SOT designs before the SOT barge became the norm. I still owner , wow she’s almost 18 years old and stored under tarps outside all that time, still in great shape.

@SeaDart said:
Ha ! Just read my review from 2002. After owning many other kayaks, I still think the old seadart was one of the best SOT designs before the SOT barge became the norm. I still owner , wow she’s almost 18 years old and stored under tarps outside all that time, still in great shape.

I also went back and read some of my old reviews. Not on the Seadart but on several boats I have owned from Necky to Current Designs to Valley. Too bad Necky went away as they had some innovative designs.
Seems new designs came out not because the new ones were better but just to say “this is something new”

Look at the difference between your boats. If the seadart has more rocker and less “fins”. If the seadart has less water line length for its overall length these things would make turns easier.

Have somebody look at your paddle and style of paddling. A low angle sweep stroke with a long paddle would make this problem greater.