Hi, my name is Dave and

No, the circumstances go beyond simply that my wife wasn’t there. Not to mention, my wife wasn’t wearing a PFD either, so by the “always” statements she couldn’t rescue herself let alone me.

Do you ever paddle solo/alone? If so, why ignore that “absolute” and not the PFD one?

I paddle alone all the time winter summer above 30°F. If you can’t rescue yourself you need a PDF

I agree with that statement, and I would point out it isn’t the absolute that “always wear a PFD” is.

To follow up, I can see why the PFD versus paddling alone are different. Why do you think they are?

Not sure want you mean but I always wear a PFD unless I was at a beach. I even keep it on till my kayak in on the floater and then over the bulkhead in case I slip. Doesn’t matter if I’m paddling alone or in a group, I am responsible for my own safety.

1 Like

The premise in my original post was that there are two things that are said/pontificated on/preached/recommended/demanded/instructed which I sometimes violate; (1) always wear your PFD (2) never paddle alone. You believe I am wrong to violate the one (PFD wearing), but you yourself violate the second. Why do you hold to the first and not the second?

I have the tools, experience, and conditions I chose to paddle alone. If I never paddled alone I’d be home literally 95% of the time. I’ve never been out of any of my hulls in 12 years unintentionally.

Everyone makes choices in life, it’s their live. I raced offshore boats for years. I watched friends get killed. I always did the best I could to decrease the risks. I even predicted some fatal events by looking at things people did.

I don’t need a PFD to swim at the beach the situation is more in my control.

Yep, we all have different situations, skills and capabilities which is why I think saying, “always” and “never” are misguided. It doesn’t require thought or evaluation of the risks involved.

Have always said, and will continue to say…
I wear my pfd anytime I am paddling; time of year, and temprature don’t enter into that equation.

You are paddling on a body of water. If you start to overheat; stop and float around awhile. Find a shady spot, pull over and take a break in the shade.
Rehydrate.
On the water, wear a hat, and put a wet towel or bandanna around your neck.

“It’s too hot to wear a pfd” is just an excuse not to wear a pfd". That line is old, tired, and overused.

If you choose not to wear one; that is your perogative. God forbid you end up in a situation where a pfd could have helped you stay afloat.

Finally, don’t start hollering “Help”!!!
That would be evidence that you made a poor decision.

BOB

3 Likes

Read my original post again. I didn’t wear my PFD because it was too hot. I didn’t wear my PFD because my trip was a paddling and swimming trip. Do you swim with a PFD on?

It’s never to hot for me to use a PFD.

2 Likes

Ex Lifeguard, and ex Lifeguard Instructor
Ex Advanced Swifwater Rescue Instructor

Yes, I can swim with a pfd on.
BOB

5 Likes

That wasn’t the question, I asked if you swim with a PFD on?

I have another question as an ex-lifeguard (referencing Bud’s previous post) do you think it is necessary for a paddler to know how to swim? Or does the use of a PFD negate that requirement?

It is my opinion that all paddlers should be swimmers. But it is up to the paddlers to accomplish that skill “without” the involvement of government entities. They can’t handle their responsibilitys now.

Can and do swim in rivers, and small lakes with a pfd; I use a very non restrictive pfd.
Refuse to swim in swimming pools anywhere.
I’m a canoer; don’t paddle on ocean.

That is my last word on this matter.

BOB

3 Likes

It’s interesting to me that most responses have ignored the “never paddle alone” part of my original post. But, I guess you’re done so the numbers won’t change.

I’m a canoeist too. I have kayaked in whitewater and the ocean, but I prefer a canoe.

Weird. It looks like you posted this specifically for that reason.

I paddle alone. Sometimes under very specific circumstances I paddle without a pfd. I think it’s irresponsible to start a thread just to advertise these things as you have.

I never paddle with other people without wearing my pfd, and I won’t paddle with other people who are not wearing theirs or who cannot swim. I once rescued a guy who came tubing with a group of us on the New River when I was in college. He couldn’t swim. I learned this as he was fighting me while I was rescuing him. Once I got him to shore I told him that if I ever saw him in the river again I would hold him under until the bubbles stopped. He put my life at risk and I was furious.

So I always wear a pfd when I’m with others, when I’m in anything but flat and narrow water alone, or when the water is below my personal limit of 72 degrees F. We should never put other people at risk for our own comfort or folly.

2 Likes

Anything can happen to your body in the water at any age. I bet you’re better off with a PFD on if it does

2 Likes

I acknowledged that there would be controversy, but that wasn’t my purpose. Don’t assign motives to people you don’t know.

I don’t see it as irresponsible at all. Based on responses, it is apparent that I convinced no one to change their mind about wearing a PFD or paddling alone, not that I ever advocated for anyone to change. Not to mention, you have just “advertised” that there are times that you violate the “always wear a PFD” and “never paddle alone”. That’s all I did, perhaps we should actually discuss risks, and not lazily say, “always” and “never”.

It’s your judgement paddling alone is unsafe not mine.

“Looks like” is my opinion, which we are all here freely expressing. It “looks like” you started this to pick arguments, otherwise what exactly was your point? It certainly wasn’t to convince anyone to change their minds about wearing a PFD or about paddling alone, since you are making excuses for doing them. Personally, I don’t like to admit that I don’t always wear my PFD. This tells me I should always wear it. Paddling alone is much less of a cut and dry issue. “It depends” is always the answer to that question. And it depends on a great many factors.

2 Likes

But, that’s the conventional wisdom along with “always wear your PFD”

“It depends”

is the point.

1 Like